Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,032 Members 43,951 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rogers Moto X- HOW CAN I ROOT or UPDATE?

Tip us?

butthurtlocker
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Default Rogers Moto X- HOW CAN I ROOT or UPDATE?

Hey so im pretty new to flashing/rooting as well as new to the moto x (Got it today!). I've done some reading and tried the Pwnmymoto and Motoroot apk's and they both did not install, so im assuming my moto x has taken the OTA updates (i bought it second hand so i didnt know). I am just wondering if theres a way I can root it at this point?? I tried the Root script method using cydia impactor and Telnet kept failing. SO I then was looking at just flashing CWM via fastboot and then installing superuser zip from there as well as flashing a rom. Can anyone tell me if that's safe after the OTA or if theres another way to root? Any help will be mich appreciated as I am really overwhelmed!

superdork21
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I was in the same boat you were but apparently the Rogers update is "coming soon". However if you're impatient like me follow these steps:

1. Unlock your boot loader from Motorola
2. Download rsdlite
3. Download mfastboot
4. Download the sbf for T-Mobile 4.4 retail
5. Download the sbf for the Brasil 4.4 retail
6. Download cwmrecovery
7. Download original Moto boot image

Seems like a lot but here's what you need to do after you have all that stuff assuming you have a windows PC.

1. After the boot loader is unlocked install the custom recovery (I use cwm) via fastboot

fastboot flash recovery cwm.file.name

2. Search the forums for how to flash moto software using rsdlite (don't have the links since I'm on my phone) and flash the T-Mobile files AFTER modifying the XML file like in the instructions.
3. Search my posts and find how to flash the Rogers radio using the Brasil radio files (extract them from the zip)

4. After unlocking the bootloader it'll leave you with a nasty boot image, flash the boot image from the original moto (again search the forums) and it'll go away.

Then you'll have a Moto X on Rogers that has Kit Kat and LTE band 7 working and gets all its updates straight from Motorola! Hope that helps!

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

After unlocking your bootloader then you can flash cwm and install supersu via the install zip feature

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

R3dbeaver
Old
Thanks Meter 222
No no no.

Look for a thread in General subforum. Rogers root. Very simple. Very easy.

Sent from my XT1058 using xda app-developers app
-=............Rogers Moto X XT1058 Stock 4.4.2............=-
-=...............Rogers RAZR XT910 PA 3.99.................=-
-=...................Nexus 7 Gen 1 Stock 4.4.2................=-

Get your free DropBox account: http://db.tt/4nQkEJqC

butthurtlocker
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
I did just that and it worked thanks a lot. Anyone reccomend any decent KitKat Roms that retain moto x features?

Sent from my XT1053 using xda app-developers app

gunnyman
Old
Thanks Meter 2,660

DONATE TO ME
There are no roms nor are there any reasons for them. Root install xposed, install gravity box. Done. This is not a flashaholics phone.
Uncle Gunny says, "MAKE A NANDROID"
LG G2 Uncarriered
LG Gpad 8.3 GPE
Rooted and Xposed
Don't be a d*ck -Wil Wheaton
Unlocking and rooting your HTC One with a Mac
Oh BTW I'm fat.
The Following User Says Thank You to gunnyman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,618
I'd never flash a custom rom on this phone....no reason to with xposed, as said above.

When we stop getting updates, then maybe. Maybe. My n7 is still on 4.2.2. Yes....I am cured of my flashaholism.

Flashaholics should not get the Moto x for sure. Lol

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life? Any device welcome, even tho its an N5 thread. Please specify if on a device other than N5. Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

The Following User Says Thank You to KJ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

R3dbeaver
Old
Thanks Meter 222
agree with all the above.

but perhaps OP could use more info on Xposed and Gravity Box?
-=............Rogers Moto X XT1058 Stock 4.4.2............=-
-=...............Rogers RAZR XT910 PA 3.99.................=-
-=...................Nexus 7 Gen 1 Stock 4.4.2................=-

Get your free DropBox account: http://db.tt/4nQkEJqC