Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q][SOLVED] Can't get root back (4.4.4)

OP d0g

26th August 2014, 07:46 PM   |  #1  
d0g's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 97
 
854 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
I was on 4.4.2, rooted. I did a factory reset, flashed stock 4.4.2 (system, recovery, and boot), then got the 4.4.4 OTA.
Still says "unlocked bootloader."
I installed Titanium -- no root.

I rebooted to bootloader, tried flashing TWRP with:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-ghost.img 
(bootloader) Variable not supported!
target reported max download size of 805306368 bytes
sending 'recovery' (8220 KB)...
OKAY [  0.774s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  1.228s]
finished. total time: 2.002s
Rebooted to recovery -- got 'dead andy' with 'No Command' below.

Tried:
Code:
fastboot boot openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-ghost.img 
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  0.775s]
booting...
(bootloader) Command restricted
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.875s
Also tried flashing `UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip` from stock recovery ... got
Code:
qe 0/1

-- Install /data/media/0 ...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installation aborted.
I also then tried all of the above with `mfastboot` -- same result.

What do I do now?
Last edited by d0g; 26th August 2014 at 08:04 PM.
26th August 2014, 07:57 PM   |  #2  
samwathegreat's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,798
 
2,030 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0g

I was on 4.4.2, rooted. I did a factory reset, flashed stock 4.4.2 (system, recovery, and boot), then got the 4.4.4 OTA.
Still says "unlocked bootloader."
I installed Titanium -- no root.

I rebooted to bootloader, tried flashing TWRP with:

Code:
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-ghost.img 
(bootloader) Variable not supported!
target reported max download size of 805306368 bytes
sending 'recovery' (8220 KB)...
OKAY [  0.774s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  1.228s]
finished. total time: 2.002s
Rebooted to recovery -- got 'dead andy' with 'No Command' below.

Tried:
Code:
fastboot boot openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-ghost.img 
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  0.775s]
booting...
(bootloader) Command restricted
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.875s
Also tried flashing `UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip` from stock recovery ... got
Code:
qe 0/1

-- Install /data/media/0 ...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installation aborted.
What do I do now?

The issue is that you have to IMMEDIATELY reboot into custom recovery. Do this (from bootloader screen):

fastboot flash recovery twrp_file_name.img

fastboot reboot-bootloader

Now VOL DOWN to recovery, and VOL UP to select it.

If you don't do it this way, TWRP doesn't 'stick'. As long as you successfully boot into TWRP, click exit and it will offer to root for you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th August 2014, 08:01 PM   |  #3  
d0g's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 97
 
854 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat

If you don't do it this way, TWRP doesn't 'stick'. As long as you successfully boot into TWRP, click exit and it will offer to root for you.

AHA! Thank you thank you!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d0g For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th August 2014, 06:33 AM   |  #4  
superp32's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Redding
Thanks Meter: 10
 
141 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat

The issue is that you have to IMMEDIATELY reboot into custom recovery. Do this (from bootloader screen):

fastboot flash recovery twrp_file_name.img

fastboot reboot-bootloader

Now VOL DOWN to recovery, and VOL UP to select it.

If you don't do it this way, TWRP doesn't 'stick'. As long as you successfully boot into TWRP, click exit and it will offer to root for you.

I notice you help out on almost every thread and have helped me more then a few times. Just thought id say thanks from all us that are trying to lose are noob status lol

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to superp32 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th August 2014, 12:39 PM   |  #5  
jigga027's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
57 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Hi there.. Am also using moto x and running stock 4.4.4... And i want to Unlock my bootloader and get Root... Can u pls guide me through the steps and file i need? Thank you
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes