5,597,354 Members 32,084 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Root for 4.4 OTA Update?

Tip us?
 
bladeofdarkness
Old
#1  
bladeofdarkness's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 19
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Johnstown
Phone [Q] Root for 4.4 OTA Update?

Is there any current root methods for the 4.4 OTA update for the MotoX?
Any and all answers will be appreciated!
 
mastermind278
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 57
Posts: 82
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Jersey
Just follow this if you have a locked bootloader: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2538896
The Following User Says Thank You to mastermind278 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
bladeofdarkness
Old
#3  
bladeofdarkness's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 19
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Johnstown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermind278 View Post
Just follow this if you have a locked bootloader: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2538896
Thanks!
 
mpkrcl
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 26
Join Date: Feb 2010
Default 2 choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
Is there any current root methods for the 4.4 OTA update for the MotoX?
Any and all answers will be appreciated!
First you need to downgrade to 4.2.2 (camera update) via RSD - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...hlight=rsdlite

Then Either:

A. Follow All Steps in SlapMyMoto - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2538896 (which ends with 4.4 rooted)

OR

B. Do RockMyMoto - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2509590 (which leaves you with 4.2.2 camera update rooted)

Install Safestrap - http://rootzwiki.com/topic/104161-re...65-2013-11-13/

Then, Install the 4.4 ROM via Safestrap (plus remember to manually flash 4.4 kernel and radio) - http://rootzwiki.com/topic/108826-ro...140455-kitkat/

I did the latter, but I think the more mainstream path seems to be the SlapMyMoto method....

up to you...
The Following User Says Thank You to mpkrcl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Valnomien
Old
#5  
Valnomien's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 114
Join Date: Jun 2007
Default on OTA 4.4

so is everyone saying if you are on 4.4 there is no way to root unless you follow the downgrade process by jcase?
seems silly I went through all the trouble of buying a develop edition and i just unlocked my bootloader and i still have to do this extensive process just to downgrade to get root and keep root and then upgrade why is there not a quick simply root on 4.4 DE
 
esskayy
Old
#6  
esskayy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 288
Posts: 740
Join Date: Jul 2012
Default [Q] Root for 4.4 OTA Update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valnomien View Post
so is everyone saying if you are on 4.4 there is no way to root unless you follow the downgrade process by jcase?

seems silly I went through all the trouble of buying a develop edition and i just unlocked my bootloader and i still have to do this extensive process just to downgrade to get root and keep root and then upgrade why is there not a quick simply root on 4.4 DE

Ermm correct me if I'm mistaken but the above instructions are only for locked bootloaders. Since you have the dev edition, all you need to do is unlock the bootloader, flash the TWRP port floating around here, reboot and accept the SuperSU installation.

It's that simple. As someone buying a dev edition, I would have thought you would know this.
 
Valnomien
Old
#7  
Valnomien's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 114
Join Date: Jun 2007
Sorry I did not know that coming in to this I wasn't really given a choice because moto screwed up cyber Monday I just figured what the hell get the Dev edition as it's protected with warranty and unlock boot loader I did find a cyanogen wiki that eventually lead me to your conclusion I flashed twrp and now rooted thanks

Sent from my XT1053 using xda app-developers app
 
Son et Lumiere
Old
#8  
Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 49
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermind278 View Post
Just follow this if you have a locked bootloader: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2538896
In other words jump through hoops.
 
Greg8
Old
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 25
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by esskayy View Post
Ermm correct me if I'm mistaken but the above instructions are only for locked bootloaders. Since you have the dev edition, all you need to do is unlock the bootloader, flash the TWRP port floating around here, reboot and accept the SuperSU installation.

It's that simple. As someone buying a dev edition, I would have thought you would know this.
I have the non dev edition - I'm guessing it's not this easy then?
 
mpkrcl
Old
#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 26
Join Date: Feb 2010
Default Assumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpkrcl View Post
First you need to downgrade to 4.2.2 (camera update) via RSD - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...hlight=rsdlite

Then Either:

A. Follow All Steps in SlapMyMoto - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2538896 (which ends with 4.4 rooted)

OR

B. Do RockMyMoto - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2509590 (which leaves you with 4.2.2 camera update rooted)

Install Safestrap - http://rootzwiki.com/topic/104161-re...65-2013-11-13/

Then, Install the 4.4 ROM via Safestrap (plus remember to manually flash 4.4 kernel and radio) - http://rootzwiki.com/topic/108826-ro...140455-kitkat/

I did the latter, but I think the more mainstream path seems to be the SlapMyMoto method....

up to you...
I apologize, my advice above assumed a locked/unlockable bootloader (ATT or VZW retail)

Dev Editions or other carriers are unlockable at Moto's website, then just flash a custom recovery, and flash SuperSU.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...