Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,165 Members 44,001 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Root AT&T Moto X on 4.4.2?

Tip us?

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2802
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuewill View Post
Ah good idea... selling it new.

Actually I'm not sure I need root. I only rooted my S3 to get rid of touchwiz, but this stock android might be ok. Only app I use that needs root is file manager and drivedroid. And I want to disable the camera shutter sounds

I'd like to put CM11 on there but looks like motox isn't well supported by CM anyway.
The Moto x definitely doesn't need to be rooted, but you may regret it later if you can't.

Good luck with whatever you do.
Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 3 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

vinuneuro
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I wasn't planning on rooting this phone either, but then I came across Gravity Box. Sell the phone new and get an unlocked one.

hovax615@hotmail.com
Old
Thanks Meter 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuewill View Post
Ah good idea... selling it new.

Actually I'm not sure I need root. I only rooted my S3 to get rid of touchwiz, but this stock android might be ok. Only app I use that needs root is file manager and drivedroid. And I want to disable the camera shutter sounds

I'd like to put CM11 on there but looks like motox isn't well supported by CM anyway.
No one is really in the market for a moto x unless you sell it for dirt cheap. You don't really need to root this device it's great without but even better with root. You can disable the camera shutter sound from the camera menu. Es file explorer is a great alternative? But if you want return it and get the T-Mobile version its unlocked. This phone has been really great.

MOTO X

Markmaster
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Why are all pessimistic that manage to get root on a closed bootloader version from AT & T?
Why do these companies do not sell at least an opportunity to get open bootloader? What do they lose?
I miss perekllyuchatelya regimes in 2G, 3G, and other other joys ...

DocMCSE
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
I bought my Moto X directly from Motorola (not subsidized from AT&T) for use with AT&T. I did not opt for the slightly costlier DEV model, so is this thread telling me my personal property cannot ever be unlocked to be used somewhere else?
DocMCSE
Simply one man's opinion!

Motorola Moto X
LG Optimus 3D/P925G

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 491

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMCSE View Post
I bought my Moto X directly from Motorola (not subsidized from AT&T) for use with AT&T. I did not opt for the slightly costlier DEV model, so is this thread telling me my personal property cannot ever be unlocked to be used somewhere else?
Pretty much...

Don't confuse bootloader unlock with SIM-Unlock though.

You can pay a small fee and get your AT&T X unlocked to use on other GSM carriers....AT&T also might provide you with the code if you meet certain criteria. Bootloader unlock is another story. AT&T forbids Motorola from giving out unlock codes for their branded phones. Currently the ONLY possibility for unlocking the bootloader on an AT&T X is through the China Middleman.

Apologizes if any (or all) of this is redundant.
Remember: the "SEARCH" button will often save you a great deal of time waiting for a reply.

Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Quote of the year:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitinthedirt View Post
Well Google now doesn't work worth an iPhone. .I've spoken those last two lines ADB shell commands out loud for the past 15 minutes and I don't get root

DocMCSE
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat View Post
Pretty much...

Don't confuse bootloader unlock with SIM-Unlock though.
Thanks, I pretty much figured in this day and age that the SIM could be unlocked or I'd have bought the unlocked one to start with. What bothers me most is I do not use/abuse root on any of the devices I own and am only interested in doing so on my X to run the Titanium Backup app I purchased to run on my older phone. I guess I knew back then the app needed root to run but since that used to never be an issue due to the collective experience I have at my fingertips here at XDA-Developers.com. it never dawned on my that a day would come where root would be taken away from me never to be returned.
DocMCSE
Simply one man's opinion!

Motorola Moto X
LG Optimus 3D/P925G