How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Root AT&T Moto X on 4.4.2?

OP vinuneuro

28th April 2014, 10:55 PM   |  #11  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,872

13,383 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuewill

Ah good idea... selling it new.

Actually I'm not sure I need root. I only rooted my S3 to get rid of touchwiz, but this stock android might be ok. Only app I use that needs root is file manager and drivedroid. And I want to disable the camera shutter sounds

I'd like to put CM11 on there but looks like motox isn't well supported by CM anyway.

The Moto x definitely doesn't need to be rooted, but you may regret it later if you can't.

Good luck with whatever you do.
28th April 2014, 10:58 PM   |  #12  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chicago / W.Lafayette, IN
Thanks Meter: 42

566 posts
More
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I wasn't planning on rooting this phone either, but then I came across Gravity Box. Sell the phone new and get an unlocked one.
29th April 2014, 10:35 AM   |  #13  
Flag Corona, CA - Murfreesboro, TN
Thanks Meter: 310

1,480 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuewill

Ah good idea... selling it new.

Actually I'm not sure I need root. I only rooted my S3 to get rid of touchwiz, but this stock android might be ok. Only app I use that needs root is file manager and drivedroid. And I want to disable the camera shutter sounds

I'd like to put CM11 on there but looks like motox isn't well supported by CM anyway.

No one is really in the market for a moto x unless you sell it for dirt cheap. You don't really need to root this device it's great without but even better with root. You can disable the camera shutter sound from the camera menu. Es file explorer is a great alternative? But if you want return it and get the T-Mobile version its unlocked. This phone has been really great.

MOTO X
5th May 2014, 10:52 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 2

74 posts
More
Question
Why are all pessimistic that manage to get root on a closed bootloader version from AT & T?
Why do these companies do not sell at least an opportunity to get open bootloader? What do they lose?
I miss perekllyuchatelya regimes in 2G, 3G, and other other joys ...
18th July 2014, 09:35 PM   |  #15  
Flag Snellville
Thanks Meter: 1

18 posts
Donate to Me
More
I bought my Moto X directly from Motorola (not subsidized from AT&T) for use with AT&T. I did not opt for the slightly costlier DEV model, so is this thread telling me my personal property cannot ever be unlocked to be used somewhere else?
18th July 2014, 09:44 PM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 1,790

2,029 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMCSE

I bought my Moto X directly from Motorola (not subsidized from AT&T) for use with AT&T. I did not opt for the slightly costlier DEV model, so is this thread telling me my personal property cannot ever be unlocked to be used somewhere else?

Pretty much...

Don't confuse bootloader unlock with SIM-Unlock though.

You can pay a small fee and get your AT&T X unlocked to use on other GSM carriers....AT&T also might provide you with the code if you meet certain criteria. Bootloader unlock is another story. AT&T forbids Motorola from giving out unlock codes for their branded phones. Currently the ONLY possibility for unlocking the bootloader on an AT&T X is through the China Middleman.

Apologizes if any (or all) of this is redundant.
18th July 2014, 10:15 PM   |  #17  
Flag Snellville
Thanks Meter: 1

18 posts
Donate to Me
More
Unhappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat

Pretty much...

Don't confuse bootloader unlock with SIM-Unlock though.

Thanks, I pretty much figured in this day and age that the SIM could be unlocked or I'd have bought the unlocked one to start with. What bothers me most is I do not use/abuse root on any of the devices I own and am only interested in doing so on my X to run the Titanium Backup app I purchased to run on my older phone. I guess I knew back then the app needed root to run but since that used to never be an issue due to the collective experience I have at my fingertips here at XDA-Developers.com. it never dawned on my that a day would come where root would be taken away from me never to be returned.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread