Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,095 Members 40,951 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Any new root methods?

Tip us?

Bg8780
Old
(Last edited by Bg8780; 27th June 2014 at 03:23 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] Any new root methods?

I've had the phone since launch and have been waiting for a root method to surface that does not require rolling back to 4.2.2. Would something like this be possible?

Sorry if this has been asked before. Thank you

EDIT: VZW Dev edition

sivarticus85
Old
Thanks Meter 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bg8780 View Post
I've had the phone since launch and have been waiting for a root method to surface that does not require rolling back to 4.2.2. Would something like this be possible?

Sorry if this has been asked before. Thank you

EDIT: VZW Dev edition
You have a Dev edition phone just unlock the bootloader.

murso74
Old
Thanks Meter 223
Wow....
The Following User Says Thank You to murso74 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bg8780
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by murso74 View Post
Wow....
Sorry, I realize this is probably a dumb question but I've been really busy in the past couple years and have been out of the root game for awhile. A lot has changed since my OG Droid days.

matt99017d
Old
Thanks Meter 169

DONATE TO ME
You have a DEV EDITION. unlock the BOOTLOADER and root it.

Plain and simple.

Sent from my XT1053 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to matt99017d For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2719
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2603358

All you need to know.
Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 3 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

The Following User Says Thank You to KJ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Restola
Old
(Last edited by Restola; 28th June 2014 at 12:34 PM.) Reason: [URL][/URL]
Thanks Meter 501
I thought this was the easiest guide and it includes the files you need http://www.elementalxdesigns.com/ecl...d-install-TWRP

After you unlock follow the steps to install TWRP. When you reboot you'll be rooted.
The Following User Says Thank You to Restola For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bg8780
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks everyone! Like I said before sorry for the stupid question I finally have the time to get back into the rooting stuff. Unlocked the bootloader via Moto's site and it bricked my phone lol. Pretty ironic the one time I brick a device is going the OEM's route to unlock. So learned a lot unbricking it. All rooted now and back to stock recovery. Thanks for the replies and resources. ☺

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 636
@Bg8780

The link supplied by @Restola is a very complete and newbie friendly set of instructions, including directing you to Moto's web site to obtain the unique unlock code needed for your phone. The included mfastboot is a little older, as are the Moto Device Drivers, and ADB. Consider viewing -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/ADB.htm to get them.

And a TIP if you use the instruction's Method B of booting into fastboot/booloader mode, you need to make sure your phone is not plugged into anything until after you see the Fastboot AP screen on your phone.

Additionally, after completing the install of TWRP, it doesn't have you reboot into it (NEEDED!!), and actually rooting (via installing SuperSU or having TWRP itself root you).

You can also use the thread @KJ linked, it has two has 2 sections you need to expand... "How To Unlock Your Bootloader" which talks to you about what is needed and getting the code from Moto's web site, and "Rooting Unlocked Bootloader" which talks you through the process to root. It contains LINKS of up to date files that will work with 4.4 and 4.4.2. However the TWRP from -> http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/ghost came out after those instructions were posted.

EDIT: Never mind, I see you're already done... I'll just leave this here anyway in case someone else comes a long...
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bg8780
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe View Post
@Bg8780

The link supplied by @Restola is a very complete and newbie friendly set of instructions, including directing you to Moto's web site to obtain the unique unlock code needed for your phone. The included mfastboot is a little older, as are the Moto Device Drivers, and ADB. Consider viewing -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/ADB.htm to get them.

And a TIP if you use the instruction's Method B of booting into fastboot/booloader mode, you need to make sure your phone is not plugged into anything until after you see the Fastboot AP screen on your phone.

Additionally, after completing the install of TWRP, it doesn't have you reboot into it (NEEDED!!), and actually rooting (via installing SuperSU or having TWRP itself root you).

You can also use the thread @KJ linked, it has two has 2 sections you need to expand... "How To Unlock Your Bootloader" which talks to you about what is needed and getting the code from Moto's web site, and "Rooting Unlocked Bootloader" which talks you through the process to root. It contains LINKS of up to date files that will work with 4.4 and 4.4.2. However the TWRP from -> http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/ghost came out after those instructions were posted.

EDIT: Never mind, I see you're already done... I'll just leave this here anyway in case someone else comes a long...
Yep all done now but thanks KidJoe, your comment doesn't go unappreciated.