[Q] Any new root methods?

27th June 2014, 03:13 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

16 posts
I've had the phone since launch and have been waiting for a root method to surface that does not require rolling back to 4.2.2. Would something like this be possible?

Sorry if this has been asked before. Thank you

EDIT: VZW Dev edition
Last edited by Bg8780; 27th June 2014 at 03:23 PM.
27th June 2014, 03:37 PM   |  #2  
Flag Atlanta GA
Thanks Meter: 151

832 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bg8780

I've had the phone since launch and have been waiting for a root method to surface that does not require rolling back to 4.2.2. Would something like this be possible?

Sorry if this has been asked before. Thank you

EDIT: VZW Dev edition

You have a Dev edition phone just unlock the bootloader.
27th June 2014, 03:41 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 255

1,531 posts
Wow....
The Following User Says Thank You to murso74 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th June 2014, 03:48 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murso74

Wow....

Sorry, I realize this is probably a dumb question but I've been really busy in the past couple years and have been out of the root game for awhile. A lot has changed since my OG Droid days.
27th June 2014, 04:53 PM   |  #5  
Flag white city oregon
Thanks Meter: 173

884 posts
Donate to Me
More
You have a DEV EDITION. unlock the BOOTLOADER and root it.

Plain and simple.

Sent from my XT1053 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to matt99017d For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th June 2014, 05:44 PM   |  #6  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 3,698

8,886 posts
More
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2603358

All you need to know.
The Following User Says Thank You to KJ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th June 2014, 12:33 PM   |  #7  
Flag Michigan
Thanks Meter: 516

1,074 posts
More
I thought this was the easiest guide and it includes the files you need http://www.elementalxdesigns.com/ecl...d-install-TWRP

After you unlock follow the steps to install TWRP. When you reboot you'll be rooted.
Last edited by Restola; 28th June 2014 at 12:34 PM. Reason: [URL][/URL]
The Following User Says Thank You to Restola For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th June 2014, 01:17 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Thanks everyone! Like I said before sorry for the stupid question I finally have the time to get back into the rooting stuff. Unlocked the bootloader via Moto's site and it bricked my phone lol. Pretty ironic the one time I brick a device is going the OEM's route to unlock. So learned a lot unbricking it. All rooted now and back to stock recovery. Thanks for the replies and resources. ☺
28th June 2014, 02:50 PM   |  #9  
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 798

1,996 posts
More
@Bg8780

The link supplied by @Restola is a very complete and newbie friendly set of instructions, including directing you to Moto's web site to obtain the unique unlock code needed for your phone. The included mfastboot is a little older, as are the Moto Device Drivers, and ADB. Consider viewing -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/ADB.htm to get them.

And a TIP if you use the instruction's Method B of booting into fastboot/booloader mode, you need to make sure your phone is not plugged into anything until after you see the Fastboot AP screen on your phone.

Additionally, after completing the install of TWRP, it doesn't have you reboot into it (NEEDED!!), and actually rooting (via installing SuperSU or having TWRP itself root you).

You can also use the thread @KJ linked, it has two has 2 sections you need to expand... "How To Unlock Your Bootloader" which talks to you about what is needed and getting the code from Moto's web site, and "Rooting Unlocked Bootloader" which talks you through the process to root. It contains LINKS of up to date files that will work with 4.4 and 4.4.2. However the TWRP from -> http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/ghost came out after those instructions were posted.

EDIT: Never mind, I see you're already done... I'll just leave this here anyway in case someone else comes a long...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st July 2014, 04:05 PM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe

@Bg8780

The link supplied by @Restola is a very complete and newbie friendly set of instructions, including directing you to Moto's web site to obtain the unique unlock code needed for your phone. The included mfastboot is a little older, as are the Moto Device Drivers, and ADB. Consider viewing -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/ADB.htm to get them.

And a TIP if you use the instruction's Method B of booting into fastboot/booloader mode, you need to make sure your phone is not plugged into anything until after you see the Fastboot AP screen on your phone.

Additionally, after completing the install of TWRP, it doesn't have you reboot into it (NEEDED!!), and actually rooting (via installing SuperSU or having TWRP itself root you).

You can also use the thread @KJ linked, it has two has 2 sections you need to expand... "How To Unlock Your Bootloader" which talks to you about what is needed and getting the code from Moto's web site, and "Rooting Unlocked Bootloader" which talks you through the process to root. It contains LINKS of up to date files that will work with 4.4 and 4.4.2. However the TWRP from -> http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/ghost came out after those instructions were posted.

EDIT: Never mind, I see you're already done... I'll just leave this here anyway in case someone else comes a long...

Yep all done now but thanks KidJoe, your comment doesn't go unappreciated.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread