Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Another Root Question

OP blueice5249

21st February 2014, 05:46 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

39 posts
I got the Moto X a couple weeks ago for VZW. I'd like to root the Moto X, because..tether . Witht he 4.4.2 update around the corner, should I root now or wait? I don't on putting any custom ROMS on there, so I'd like the most updated Stock ROM. But I'm sure that's not rooted yet. Also, how hard is it to root the X? If it's that hard and easy to brick the phone, I may just hold off. Thanks guys.
21st February 2014, 06:10 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 317

1,328 posts
More
As far as we know of, it's impossible to root the latest OTA. 4.4.2 changed bootloaders. It's going to require a whole new exploit... Which we might not have.
21st February 2014, 06:11 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

39 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by natezire71

As far as we know of, it's impossible to root the latest OTA. 4.4.2 changed bootloaders. It's going to require a whole new exploit... Which we might not have.

eek

I didn't think it was that bad. Perhaps I should root now?
21st February 2014, 06:25 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 317

1,328 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueice5249

eek

I didn't think it was that bad. Perhaps I should root now?

If you root 4.4, you can't accept the OTA, you'll brick it. If you're already on 4.4.2, you're out of luck for now.
21st February 2014, 06:31 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

39 posts
Quote:

If you root 4.4, you can't accept the OTA, you'll brick it. If you're already on 4.4.2, you're out of luck for now.

Thanks. Is this easy to brick in the root process?
21st February 2014, 08:56 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 2

26 posts
Quote:

How do you block the OTA? I have a rooted VZ moto x with a locked bootloader.
21st February 2014, 09:12 PM   |  #7  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 88

423 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba94

How do you block the OTA? I have a rooted VZ moto x with a locked bootloader.

Freeze MotorolaOTA and delete the OTA from your /cache folder. To freeze MotorolaOTA, you need an app that can do it. I went ahead and paid the $6.50 for Titanium B/U Pro, which can freeze and is a well regarded app. There are probably free ones you can use.

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Quote:

I got the Moto X a couple weeks ago for VZW. I'd like to root the Moto X, because..tether . Witht he 4.4.2 update around the corner, should I root now or wait? I don't on putting any custom ROMS on there, so I'd like the most updated Stock ROM. But I'm sure that's not rooted yet. Also, how hard is it to root the X? If it's that hard and easy to brick the phone, I may just hold off. Thanks guys.

Do you have a Dev Ed or did you get a Moto Maker/retail Moto X? Totally different processes depending on which you have.

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

Quote:

Thanks. Is this easy to brick in the root process?

Not if you have the Verizon Dev Ed.
21st February 2014, 09:48 PM   |  #8  
OP Member

39 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozume

Freeze MotorolaOTA and delete the OTA from your /cache folder. To freeze MotorolaOTA, you need an app that can do it. I went ahead and paid the $6.50 for Titanium B/U Pro, which can freeze and is a well regarded app. There are probably free ones you can use.

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Do you have a Dev Ed or did you get a Moto Maker/retail Moto X? Totally different processes depending on which you have.

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

Not if you have the Verizon Dev Ed.

I do not have the Dev Ed.
21st February 2014, 09:56 PM   |  #9  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 88

423 posts
More
Quote:

I do not have the Dev Ed.

You have to use Slap My Moto then if you are on 4.4.

Slap My Moto
21st February 2014, 10:03 PM   |  #10  
OP Member

39 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozume

You have to use Slap My Moto then if you are on 4.4.

Slap My Moto

Wow. That looks really involved and easy to screw up. Perhaps I may stay away for now.

Is there anyway to tether without root?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread