Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,205 Members 39,695 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Another Root Question

Tip us?
 
blueice5249
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 39
Join Date: Jun 2010
Default Another Root Question

I got the Moto X a couple weeks ago for VZW. I'd like to root the Moto X, because..tether . Witht he 4.4.2 update around the corner, should I root now or wait? I don't on putting any custom ROMS on there, so I'd like the most updated Stock ROM. But I'm sure that's not rooted yet. Also, how hard is it to root the X? If it's that hard and easy to brick the phone, I may just hold off. Thanks guys.
 
natezire71
Old
#2  
natezire71's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 303
Posts: 1,294
Join Date: Mar 2010
As far as we know of, it's impossible to root the latest OTA. 4.4.2 changed bootloaders. It's going to require a whole new exploit... Which we might not have.
MotoX, KitKat
Nexus7.2, KitKat
 
blueice5249
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 39
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by natezire71 View Post
As far as we know of, it's impossible to root the latest OTA. 4.4.2 changed bootloaders. It's going to require a whole new exploit... Which we might not have.
eek

I didn't think it was that bad. Perhaps I should root now?
 
natezire71
Old
#4  
natezire71's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 303
Posts: 1,294
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueice5249 View Post
eek

I didn't think it was that bad. Perhaps I should root now?
If you root 4.4, you can't accept the OTA, you'll brick it. If you're already on 4.4.2, you're out of luck for now.
MotoX, KitKat
Nexus7.2, KitKat
 
blueice5249
Old
#5  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 39
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by natezire71 View Post
If you root 4.4, you can't accept the OTA, you'll brick it. If you're already on 4.4.2, you're out of luck for now.
Thanks. Is this easy to brick in the root process?
 
mamba94
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 26
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by natezire71 View Post
If you root 4.4, you can't accept the OTA, you'll brick it. If you're already on 4.4.2, you're out of luck for now.
How do you block the OTA? I have a rooted VZ moto x with a locked bootloader.
 
Cozume
Old
#7  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 84
Posts: 423
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba94 View Post
How do you block the OTA? I have a rooted VZ moto x with a locked bootloader.
Freeze MotorolaOTA and delete the OTA from your /cache folder. To freeze MotorolaOTA, you need an app that can do it. I went ahead and paid the $6.50 for Titanium B/U Pro, which can freeze and is a well regarded app. There are probably free ones you can use.

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueice5249 View Post
I got the Moto X a couple weeks ago for VZW. I'd like to root the Moto X, because..tether . Witht he 4.4.2 update around the corner, should I root now or wait? I don't on putting any custom ROMS on there, so I'd like the most updated Stock ROM. But I'm sure that's not rooted yet. Also, how hard is it to root the X? If it's that hard and easy to brick the phone, I may just hold off. Thanks guys.
Do you have a Dev Ed or did you get a Moto Maker/retail Moto X? Totally different processes depending on which you have.

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueice5249 View Post
Thanks. Is this easy to brick in the root process?
Not if you have the Verizon Dev Ed.
 
blueice5249
Old
#8  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 39
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozume View Post
Freeze MotorolaOTA and delete the OTA from your /cache folder. To freeze MotorolaOTA, you need an app that can do it. I went ahead and paid the $6.50 for Titanium B/U Pro, which can freeze and is a well regarded app. There are probably free ones you can use.

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Do you have a Dev Ed or did you get a Moto Maker/retail Moto X? Totally different processes depending on which you have.

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

Not if you have the Verizon Dev Ed.
I do not have the Dev Ed.
 
Cozume
Old
#9  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 84
Posts: 423
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueice5249 View Post
I do not have the Dev Ed.
You have to use Slap My Moto then if you are on 4.4.

Slap My Moto
 
blueice5249
Old
#10  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 39
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozume View Post
You have to use Slap My Moto then if you are on 4.4.

Slap My Moto
Wow. That looks really involved and easy to screw up. Perhaps I may stay away for now.

Is there anyway to tether without root?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes