Another Root Question

Tip us?

Cozume
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueice5249 View Post
Wow. That looks really involved and easy to screw up. Perhaps I may stay away for now.

Is there anyway to tether without root?
No there is no way to WiFi tether for free if you have unlimited data or a capped data plan without root. You can USB and Bluetooth tether using PDAnet if you run Kit Kat 4.4 and are unrooted. Or if you have a Verizon Share Everything plan you WiFi tether for free.

I am going to root a locked bootloader Moto X here soon and post Step-By-Step Instructions after I do. Don't take the 4.4.2 update if you want root.

blueice5249
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozume View Post
No there is no way to WiFi tether for free if you have unlimited data or a capped data plan without root. You can USB and Bluetooth tether using PDAnet if you run Kit Kat 4.4 and are unrooted. Or if you have a Verizon Share Everything plan you WiFi tether for free.

I am going to root a locked bootloader Moto X here soon and post Step-By-Step Instructions after I do. Don't take the 4.4.2 update if you want root.
Thanks, it doesn't need to be WiFi, I'm fine with USB tether.

Is there anything besides PDAnet? I heard you have to pay for that, or reconnect all the time.

I'm definitely going to hold off on the update and hope for a bit easier root method. I'm not too good at the adb thing.

Cozume
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Is there anything besides PDAnet? I heard you have to pay for that, or reconnect all the time.
There probably is, but I use PDAnet and you are correct, you have to pay or reconnect all of the time.

Quote:
I'm definitely going to hold off on the update and hope for a bit easier root method. I'm not too good at the adb thing.
There won't be an easier method as jcase isn't going to do one for 4.4.2 and Motorola has with each new update tried to close the hacks that jcase has found.

You either root on 4.4 using Slap My Moto or stay unrooted. After you root on 4.4, you can keep the 4.4 bootloader and selectively upgrade the system to 4.4.2. But there are people on the Verizon 4.4.2 thread claiming they took the OTA and kept root and kept write protection disabled. Others on other carriers said otherwise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cozume For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

blueice5249
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
There probably is, but I use PDAnet and you are correct, you have to pay or reconnect all of the time.

There won't be an easier method as jcase isn't going to do one for 4.4.2 and Motorola has with each new update tried to close the hacks that jcase has found.

You either root on 4.4 using Slap My Moto or stay unrooted. After you root on 4.4, you can keep the 4.4 bootloader and selectively upgrade the system to 4.4.2. But there are people on the Verizon 4.4.2 thread claiming they took the OTA and kept root and kept write protection disabled. Others on other carriers said otherwise.
Darn and Darn.

I think I'll hold off for now and maybe hope your step by step is easier to follow. Thanks for the help man!

If anyone else knows of a free tether method let me know.

mamba94
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Freeze MotorolaOTA and delete the OTA from your /cache folder. To freeze MotorolaOTA, you need an app that can do it. I went ahead and paid the $6.50 for Titanium B/U Pro, which can freeze and is a well regarded app. There are probably free ones you can use.
Thanks!