Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,209 Members 48,315 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rooting factory unlocked Moto X

Tip us?

seebasso
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Rooting factory unlocked Moto X

So I've just ordered an unlocked black 16gb Moto X from Amazon and would like to update it to 4.4.2 and get root access. I know there are a few guides and threads around but am confused as to which variant I'll have as all the guides seem to be carrier specific, and whether my bootloader will be unlocked or not...
Also, I think it'll come with 4.2.2. Should I go ahead and do the 4.4.2 OTA update, or will that make rooting more difficult? Can I root first then update?
I'm not entirely clueless about this kind of thing, having successfully rooted and installed custom firmware on previous android phones but this seems a little more complicated.
Any help much appreciated. Thanks!

tcrews
Old
Thanks Meter 175
If it's an unlockable bootloader, just take all the updates, unlock the bootloader, mfastboot your choice of recovery, boot immediately to recovery and root. Done.
http://android.snkbitten.com/
Motorola Droid, Droid 2, Droid 3 and Droid 4 (all rooted)
Motorola Moto X DevEd - KK 4.4.2 + Root
Google Nexus 10 - KK 4.4.2 + Root

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 659
Since its not a developer edition, unlocking your bootloader will void your warranty. You can request the unlock code directly from Moto's web site for free.

To root after your bootloader is unlocked, just follow this -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...ev-ed-t2649738

Once you get the code from Moto, you can unlock the bootloader at any point, no matter what rom is on your phone. But you might as well either take the OTA update or flash the 4.4.2 SBF to get to 4.4.2 on your phone, then unlock the bootloader and root. (unlocking the bootloader does factory reset the phone, and erases data and apps, so don't go nuts customizing the phone or installing apps until after you unlock the bootloader).
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

seebasso
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the replies.

How do I find out if my bootloader is unlockable? The Motorola site says that Sprint, USC and TMO phones can be done but nothing about factory unlocked ones...

What if the boitloader can't be unlocked?

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by seebasso View Post
Thanks for the replies.

How do I find out if my bootloader is unlockable? The Motorola site says that Sprint, USC and TMO phones can be done but nothing about factory unlocked ones...

What if the boitloader can't be unlocked?
The SIM unlocked version can be bootloader unlocked.

Follow the instructions and steps to request the code at -> https://motorola-global-portal.custh...-a/action/auth once you hit the final submit button, your warranty will be voided.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

seebasso
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Awesome thanks, not as complicated as I had anticipated then...

And once I'm on 4.4.2 and rooted, I won't be able to Do any future OTA updates without losing root right?

KidJoe
Old
(Last edited by KidJoe; 22nd April 2014 at 09:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by seebasso View Post
Awesome thanks, not as complicated as I had anticipated then...

And once I'm on 4.4.2 and rooted, I won't be able to Do any future OTA updates without losing root right?
Wrong. Rather than my re-typing... see -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/MotoX-OTA.html
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info