Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,562 Members 37,424 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Safestrap 4.4 or use JCase to root???

Tip us?

aptalca
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default [Q] Safestrap 4.4 or use JCase to root???

I am about to get a Moto X from Verizon and I know it has a locked bootloader

I never dealt with a locked phone in the past and this will be my first moto so I am doing a lot of reading

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess the phone will come with 4.2 on it so I'll have two options:
1) Use safestrap and flash 4.4 as a second rom. I am guessing the disadvantage will be loss of disk space for the second rom (maybe other disadvantages, I don't know) but I'll be able to do nandroid backups and flash zips
2) Use the JCase method to root using SlapMyMoto and MotoWpNoMo, etc. (I'll be rooted, but no flashing roms or zips, or nandroid backups)

In that case, which method do you guys really recommend? Do I really need custom roms on this phone since it is almost stock and I can still get xposed to do a lot of the things I'd be interested in with just the root?

If I use the JCase method, do I lose the ability to use safestrap in the future?

Thanks

CMNDR
Old
Thanks Meter 8
The moto xs leaving moto maker for Verizon should all be 4.4 at this point. Can't whole heartedly speak to your other questions though.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk

mbush78
Old
Thanks Meter 44

DONATE TO ME
I used to be a flash-o-holic and so far I'm perfectly satisfied with just having root and xposed

sent from my Moto X

ewrides
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm rooted, using xposed and gravity box. Very happy with phone. Came from an s3 and have to say I don't miss flashing Roms. Real learning curve for me to root but JCase methods worked perfect and google was my friend through the many steps. Good luck!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

nhizzat
Old
Thanks Meter 72
SlapMyMoto. You're not gonna want to flash roms on this phone.

aptalca
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Thanks for the replies.

I guess if the phone comes with 4.4 already, I only have the JCase's root option, anyway.

But reading the replies here as well as other threads, I see that most people are pretty content with the stock rom + root + gravitybox/xposed. That's great to know.

I can't wait to get the phone tomorrow

dannieloco
Old
Thanks Meter 133
Does Safestrap load 4.4.2 roms now?

tcollum
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptalca View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I guess if the phone comes with 4.4 already, I only have the JCase's root option, anyway.

But reading the replies here as well as other threads, I see that most people are pretty content with the stock rom + root + gravitybox/xposed. That's great to know.

I can't wait to get the phone tomorrow
Safestrap works on 4.4 too

aptalca
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
But you have to have satestrapped it when you were on the 4.2 bootloader, correct? So if you took an ota or if your phone shipped with 4.4, your bootloader was updated and you can no longer safestrap