Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,676 Members 51,367 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Screen color tweaks

Tip us?

Testicopolicious
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Default Screen color tweaks

Hello!
At the moment, I own an LG Nexus 4 but I think it's time to move on. The Nexus 5 isn't very attractive to me and the Bamboo Moto X really tickles my fancy. My wife has a Moto X and it's so smooth, but I only have one concern. The screen has this yellow-ish tint to it. Yes yes I know that it's AMOLED, but on my old AMOLED device I had the ability to switch colors (Galaxy SIII). On the Nexus 4 also, but I wanted to know if there's any possible way I can tweak the colors on this device. That yellow tint just bothers me, especially when opening Chrome, I could get used to it, but I plan on rooting my Moto X and I was just curious if anyone is aware of methods to change the screen colors to be, you know, not so warm.

Mr. Orange 645
Old
Thanks Meter 57
No yellowish tint here. My RAZR seemed to have a slightly yellowish tint but this one seems more reminiscent of my GNex which was a much cooler tint where greys looked purple at certain brightness settings.

Generally I believe to alter the screen colors requires a custom kernel. Faux and I *think* lean kernel had that ability on the GNex. There's only one custom kernel for the MX and I don't think it allows you to alter the screen tint.

I'm not sure, but maybe the optimization of the cores and low power cores is keeping developers from producing custom kernels, but that's just a guess.

thatdude02
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Coming myself from a Nexus 4 I did immediately notice the different hues in the screen color, and I wasn't such a fan of it, but after a week I found that I actually prefer the AMOLED display of the Moto X. I understand your concern, however I don't notice any yellow tinge to the screen.

Overall the AMOLED screen truly is beautiful so I don't think you need to worry too much. The contrast and the darks look amazing. Obviously not 1080p but amazing none the less.

Sent from my XT1058 using xda app-developers app
Moto X!

Ok Google now
The Following User Says Thank You to thatdude02 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eksasol
Old
(Last edited by eksasol; 31st January 2014 at 09:27 AM.)
Thanks Meter 688
First off, I find the MotoX to have the best calibrated AMOLED manufactured screen I've seen. The yellow you're talking about, unless your wife phone have a poorly calibrated one, I find mine to be very close to 6500K in temperature, this is the ideal value. The white level is very good , just slightly warm. I also like that the screen is only a little saturated and not over blown like other AMOLED screens making them totally unrealistic.

If you are used to blue tint displays, that is not the correct color calibration, but you can find that in a lot of LCD type screens.

As for tweaking the display colors, you're going to have to hope for something like a Faux kernel, I'm not sure it's going to happen. Seems like the Moto G is much more developer friendly.

sent via tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to eksasol For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

geoff5093
Old
Thanks Meter 185
I noticed this as well, I have a G2 with an LCD and compared it to the Moto X and while my G2 had white whites, the Moto X had yellow whites. If there is no way to fix it, I'm hoping that I'll slowly adjust to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to geoff5093 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]