Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,037 Members 52,220 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] screen protector question

Tip us?

Pwnicorn
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Default [Q] screen protector question

I have experimented with various screen protectors on the Moto X. The one that I have on now covers the left side portion by the ear speaker. I have also seen screen protectors that purposely have this area cut out of the screen protector. I believe that this is where the light sensor is. I have been trying this screen protector out for a couple days (it is a anti-glare kind and is opaque) I have noticed that the active notifications don't come on as much...however, this may all be in my head. Curious if anyone else had tested this. See attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140211_033630.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	2572538  

vikramkhalsa
Old
Thanks Meter 64
The screen protector I used ( Xtreme guard) has an extra area cut out to the left of the speaker, i guess for the proximity/light sensors..
and I don't have any issues with active notifications.. maybe you can cut it out?

laur3n.newm4n
Old
Thanks Meter 41
That is the proximity / light sensor. Play with it when you're in a call - cover it up with your finger, and the screen goes off, remove your finger, and the screen comes back on. That's how your phone knows it's up to your face and to turn the screen off so you don't accidentally face dial. Some screen protectors don't affect it, others seem to. I don't doubt that your active notifications are funny if that piece is covered up. I had a tempered glass protector on that covered it. I had some issues with the screen not coming on when I took my phone away from the face to end the call. Sometimes active display would randomly turn on when the phone was sitting still on my desk. After I switched to a different brand that didn't cover it up, my problems went away.
The Following User Says Thank You to laur3n.newm4n For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Pwnicorn
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Thank you for the info. I had a feeling that there was something up because it was acting a little random after putting that protector on. I don't think all companies really test their accessories on the phones they make them for...other than that they fit okay but not if they affect performance. Those test would take too much time. Funny thing is I got them from a Sprint store and they were $20 for two :/ . I found some, actually the exact one's Moto's sight selling, on Amazon for around six dollars something and they have a space cut out for that area.