Security Issues With Unlocking the Bootloader Without Rooting?

Search This thread

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
No I was saying when installing custom roms. That's when you factory reset data and all that.

Sent from my crappy apple iPad.....

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

And why can't you just stay unlocked? It's not doing Any harm on a dev edition. And with a Unlocked boot loader man, just get twrp and flash custom roms nothing stopping you or her.

Cozume

Jan 30, 2014
And why can't you just stay unlocked? It's not doing Any harm on a dev edition.
that is what I was trying to make sure I understood - that it was not doing any harm to stay unlocked.

And with a Unlocked boot loader man, just get twrp and flash custom roms nothing stopping you or her.
I know, I am rooted. But I am trying to help her do it, too and don't want to mislead her. She wants to root to WiFi tether on Verizon but just got her phone a few days ago.

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
Would she like any particular rom? Or is it keeping stock?

Cozume

Jan 30, 2014
Would she like any particular rom? Or is it keeping stock?
We both just want to be able to WiFi tether for free on Verizon. We have unlimited data and we can't do it without rooting. I may try further mods if I have the time.

I rooted mine and flashed the modified VzwEntitlementServices.apk file so I can WiFi tether for free. But the 4.4.2 OTA is coming soon and she wants to wait for that because you have to go back to stock recovery and the original VzwEntitlementServices.apk to take the OTA.

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
Last edited:

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
Wow, okay then, just download a tether app from the app store or something, or just install like CM 11 or something, idk what roms are available for moto x, I know a crap ton. So yeah that's all I can say :$ so any one else with that expertise in moto x can step in xD

Cozume

Jan 30, 2014
Wow, okay then, just download a tether app from the app store or something
Kit Kat broke all of the unrooted WiFi tether apps for Verizon if you have unlimited data. The exploit they were using was patched. You need root to WiFi Tether if you have a Verizon unlimited data plan.

And I prefer to native WiFi tether anyhow, and to do that you need root.

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
O, well, yeah... I don't know.... Besides rooting and custom stuff there's nothing....root forever \m/ lol sorry but yeah, i don't know....