[Q] Setting up and rooting a new Verizon Moto X DE

Search This thread

amajamar

May 15, 2014
Hello all,

Hopefully this is not considered a useless post and is deleted! I have previously owned the OG Droid and GNex, both rooted and have run custom ROMs so, I am not a COMPLETE noob, but I'm also not an expert.

In any event, I purchased a Verizon DE phone so I could easily unlock and root. I have yet to even activate it, so it is FRESH! It has come with 4.2.2, 139.10.53-ghost, which seems like the original image. I want to upgrade this ONLY to the point of still being able to run my standard tethering app (which I am not sure which 4.4 upgrade breaks this functionality), and root. I also want to be able to run custom ROMs if desired.

I am also confused by whether or not there is a potential downgrade "bricking" of the device. There are threads out there which seem like it can be done, (see http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/ref-how-to-root-4-4-links-guides-t2603358), and many other threads that say that regardless of being a DE, it cannot be downgraded. If someone can clarify this for me, that would be great.

Three other questions at this point. One, the thread referenced above discussed using TWRP or CWM for recovery. I have only used CWM in the past. Are there pros and cons to either one? Seems like most everyone uses TWRP for the Moto X.

Two, are there ROMs for the Moto X that have all of the rooted functionality of 4.4.2, with none of the drawbacks of stock, rooted 4.4.2? Would I be better off using one of those?

Finally, will I be able to prevent OTA notifications if I stay with stock, rooted, and upgrade only to certain point?

Sorry for all the questions, and yes, I have been searching and reading, but I have not found enough clear information to feel comfortable not asking directly.

Thank you all in ADVANCE!

Last edited:

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
There are currently 4 Moto or Stock ROMs for the Verizon Moto X XT1060

139.10.53 = Initial Shipping 4.2.2
139.15.1 = 4.2.2 w/camera update or 1st OTA
140.45.5 = 4.4 or 2nd OTA
164.55.2 = 4.4.2 or 3rd OTA.

The Developer Edition, once the bootloader is unlocked, can be rooted no matter what Moto ROM is on your phone.

Due to changes in parts that are included with 4.4.2, under certain circumstances when trying to downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.4 or lower, you could either brick your phone, or set it up to brick in the future when you take an upgrade. So it is suggested you just stick with what is on your phone once you get on 4.4.2. Besides, you wont need to downgrade to gain root once you unlock your bootloader.

If you haven't had 4.4.2 on your phone yet, you are perfectly welcome to upgrade from 4.2.2 to 4.4, then downgrade to 4.2 w/camera update (4.2.2 with camera update is Blur_Version.139.15.1.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US aka VZW_XT1060_4.2.2-13.9.0Q2.X-116-MX-17-57-X-1_CFC_1FF.xml). which is pretty much what the "Downgrading the bootloader" section of -> http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/ref-how-to-root-4-4-links-guides-t2603358 says.

Why worry about downgrading? Well, Locked bootloader users needed to downgrade to take advantage of an exploit in the older rom to gain root and disable write protection. This is not needed on the Dev Edition once the bootloader is unlocked.

As for custom roms, or 3rd party roms. Once your bootloader is unlocked you can flash them.

As for tethering. If you stick on a Stock Moto ROM, On 4.2.2 I used the Wifi Tether for Root from the Play Store.

For 4.4 and 4.4.2 I Use the wifi_tether_v3_4-experimental1.apk from https://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/
change device profile to galaxy nexus (cdma/lte)
check box: wifi-driver reload
check box: enabled routing fix

If you have troubles, its also suggested to...
check box: wifi-driver reload 2

Doing this, I can set the SSID and WPA key. And it doesn't touch any system files or anything, so it is one less thing to get in the way of taking future OTA updates.

Oh, and the Dev Edition XT1060 and the retail/motomaker XT1060 use the same roms, radios, etc.

To root the dev edition see -> http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/moto-x-qa/instructions-unlocking-rooting-dev-ed-t2649738

Reactions: amajamar

amajamar

May 15, 2014
If you haven't had 4.4.2 on your phone yet, you are perfectly welcome to upgrade from 4.2.2 to 4.4, then downgrade to 4.2 w/camera update (4.2.2 with camera update is Blur_Version.139.15.1.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US aka VZW_XT1060_4.2.2-13.9.0Q2.X-116-MX-17-57-X-1_CFC_1FF.xml). which is pretty much what the "Downgrading the bootloader" section of -> http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/ref-how-to-root-4-4-links-guides-t2603358 says.

Thanks KidJoe! So I gather there would really not be a reason to downgrade a DE device anyway, since you can root it regardless of what stock ROM you are running. And since there are ways to wifi tether on 4.4.2, that is a non-issue.

I am still a bit confused regarding your quote above about the "upgrade from 4.2.2 to 4.4, then downgrade to 4.2 w/camera update..." Do you have to follow that path to get to 4.2 w/camera update, or can you just flash that ROM (139.15.1) once unlocked?

I currently use FoxFi on my GNex (paid for it!) and was hoping to use on Moto X. That's really why I didn't want to upgrade too far. Not sure that it works on it though.

Thanks again!

KidJoe

Aug 23, 2008
I am still a bit confused regarding your quote above about the "upgrade from 4.2.2 to 4.4, then downgrade to 4.2 w/camera update..." Do you have to follow that path to get to 4.2 w/camera update, or can you just flash that ROM (139.15.1) once unlocked?
No. Was just saying that if you never had 4.4.2 on your phone, wanted to upgrade to 4.4, and later wanted to go back to 4.2.2 w/camera, you could.
I currently use FoxFi on my GNex (paid for it!) and was hoping to use on Moto X. That's really why I didn't want to upgrade too far. Not sure that it works on it though.

Thanks again!
As far as I know, FoxFi still doesn't work on 4.4.2 on the X even when rooted. I don't recall if it works on 4.4. But I never used it.

Last edited:

The Tallest

Jul 25, 2013
If you have a DE there is absolutely no reason to downgrade. Ever. If you want to be able to tether here's the easiest way to do it.

Activate your phone.
Take all the updates.
Go to this site: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a

Follow those directions to a "T". Once that's done, download Xposed Framework, then download MotoTether.

The only time you'll need to worry about being rooted is if you delete bloatware and go to take the next OTA. You'll either need to reinstall all the apps you deleted manually or go to Motorola and request the factory image to reflash it.

amajamar

May 15, 2014
If you have a DE there is absolutely no reason to downgrade. Ever. If you want to be able to tether here's the easiest way to do it.

Activate your phone.
Take all the updates.
Go to this site:

Follow those directions to a "T". Once that's done, download Xposed Framework, then download MotoTether.

The only time you'll need to worry about being rooted is if you delete bloatware and go to take the next OTA. You'll either need to reinstall all the apps you deleted manually or go to Motorola and request the factory image to reflash it.

So I should take the updates BEFORE unlocking? I was assuming it was the other way around. OK. Regarding "bloatware", if you just "freeze" it, does that prevent future OTAs? If you attempt to take an OTA with those apps either frozen or deleted, will you be risking bricking?

KidJoe

Aug 23, 2008
So I should take the updates BEFORE unlocking? I was assuming it was the other way around. OK. Regarding "bloatware", if you just "freeze" it, does that prevent future OTAs? If you attempt to take an OTA with those apps either frozen or deleted, will you be risking bricking?
Rather than retyping.. please see -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/MotoX-Unlock1.htm

while written due to the 3rd party supplier of bootloader unlock codes, the info applies equally to Dev Edition phones (other than the source of your unlock code)

Reactions: amajamar

NPOA556

Jan 4, 2012

Activate your phone.
Take all the updates.
Go to this site: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a

I whole-heartedly agree with everything written in this post. You also have to make sure you are on stock recovery if you want to take an OTA. There are plenty of guides around here about taking an OTA, so just make sure you read some of those before you accept an OTA.

jasoraso

May 24, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
I have a suggestion for the OP:

1 - take all the updates on the phone. This will update the radios, boot loader; recovery, and the main ROM (system).
(The boot loader can not be downgraded, but as mentioned above, there really isn't any reason why you would want to try and downgrade your bootloader because you have a DE device)

2 - unlock the bootloader. you can google the steps in the process. Basically you get the unlock key from Motorola. The toughest part of the process is getting the fastboot and device drivers set up properly on your computer. This step will all of the userdata (pictures, apps etc.)

3 - use Fastboot to flash a custom recovery (I use TWRP ver 2.7). then boot into TWRP recovery w/o rebooting. Note that the volume down button is used in the bootloader to highlight your desired option, then volume up is used to select the option. When you are in TWRP and then exit, I believe it will prompt you to install the superuser binaries, which you will want to do.

At this point you can choose do flash a custom 4.4.2 ROM from the Dev section here (the Krypton rom is very good), or you can run stock w/ root. If you choose stock, I recommend the following steps for wifi and customization:

4 - boot up device normally and set it up. you will have be on the stock 4.4.2 rom with root.

5 - install Xposed from here on XDA.

6 then install the xposed module from the moto x apps section (it may also be available to download from within xposed) that enables wifi tethering. This will allow you to use the built in tethering without subscription issues.

7 - install the GravityBox xposed module (you can download this from within Xposed). This allows many of the customizations that you would normally find only in a custom rom (custom quicksettings, reboot options etc).

8 - install rootcloak module for xposed (download within xposed). This will let you run Isis or other apps that don't like root (it comes preconfigured for many apps).

Last edited:

amajamar

May 15, 2014
I have a suggestion for the OP:

1 - take all the updates on the phone. This will update the radios, boot loader; recovery, and the main ROM (system).
(The boot loader can not be downgraded, but as mentioned above, there really isn't any reason why you would want to try and downgrade your bootloader because you have a DE device)

2 - unlock the bootloader. you can google the steps in the process. Basically you get the unlock key from Motorola. The toughest part of the process is getting the fastboot and device drivers set up properly on your computer. This step will all of the userdata (pictures, apps etc.)

3 - use Fastboot to flash a custom recovery (I use TWRP ver 2.7). then boot into TWRP recovery w/o rebooting. Note that the volume down button is used in the bootloader to highlight your desired option, then volume up is used to select the option. When you are in TWRP and then exit, I believe it will prompt you to install the superuser binaries, which you will want to do.

At this point you can choose do flash a custom 4.4.2 ROM from the Dev section here (the Krypton rom is very good), or you can run stock w/ root. If you choose stock, I recommend the following steps for wifi and customization:

4 - boot up device normally and set it up. you will have be on the stock 4.4.2 rom with root.

5 - install Xposed from here on XDA.

6 then install the xposed module from the moto x apps section (it may also be available to download from within xposed) that enables wifi tethering. This will allow you to use the built in tethering without subscription issues.

7 - install the GravityBox xposed module (you can download this from within Xposed). This allows many of the customizations that you would normally find only in a custom rom (custom quicksettings, reboot options etc).

8 - install rootcloak module for xposed (download within xposed). This will let you run Isis or other apps that don't like root (it comes preconfigured for many apps).

After reading the link Kidjoe supplied earlier (That was a FANTASTIC, MUST READ reference for noobs who want to understand the complexities of the Moto X), I may stay off KitKat, as I am not a fan of the white icons in the notification bar, however I do think this is the route (root??) I will take.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There are currently 4 Moto or Stock ROMs for the Verizon Moto X XT1060

139.10.53 = Initial Shipping 4.2.2
    139.15.1 = 4.2.2 w/camera update or 1st OTA
    140.45.5 = 4.4 or 2nd OTA
    164.55.2 = 4.4.2 or 3rd OTA.

The Developer Edition, once the bootloader is unlocked, can be rooted no matter what Moto ROM is on your phone.

Due to changes in parts that are included with 4.4.2, under certain circumstances when trying to downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.4 or lower, you could either brick your phone, or set it up to brick in the future when you take an upgrade. So it is suggested you just stick with what is on your phone once you get on 4.4.2. Besides, you wont need to downgrade to gain root once you unlock your bootloader.

Why worry about downgrading? Well, Locked bootloader users needed to downgrade to take advantage of an exploit in the older rom to gain root and disable write protection. This is not needed on the Dev Edition once the bootloader is unlocked.

As for custom roms, or 3rd party roms. Once your bootloader is unlocked you can flash them.

As for tethering. If you stick on a Stock Moto ROM, On 4.2.2 I used the Wifi Tether for Root from the Play Store.

For 4.4 and 4.4.2 I Use the wifi_tether_v3_4-experimental1.apk from https://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/
    change device profile to galaxy nexus (cdma/lte)
    check box: wifi-driver reload
    check box: enabled routing fix

If you have troubles, its also suggested to...
    check box: wifi-driver reload 2

Doing this, I can set the SSID and WPA key. And it doesn't touch any system files or anything, so it is one less thing to get in the way of taking future OTA updates.

Oh, and the Dev Edition XT1060 and the retail/motomaker XT1060 use the same roms, radios, etc.

To root the dev edition see -> http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/moto-x-qa/instructions-unlocking-rooting-dev-ed-t2649738
    Rather than retyping.. please see -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/MotoX-Unlock1.htm

while written due to the 3rd party supplier of bootloader unlock codes, the info applies equally to Dev Edition phones (other than the source of your unlock code)