Sim unlock Sprint Moto X [DEVELOPERS REQUIRED - BOUNTY $$$]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Kittiesoncrack

Aug 11, 2012
Chicago
Hi,your sprint moto x unlock sucessful???can you tell me about it,TKS

I havent unlocked my Moto x cause im still with sprint. but even then, you still need to be with sprint for 90 days or something before they allow you to unlock. if you customer service, you might be able to get an exception. I've had mostly good experiences with them

ysabxe

Dec 16, 2010
ok... I know how to unlock it, but I need all files from already unlocked MOTO X via OTA by Sprint, please make CWM (TWRP) Backup or just copy all files in root folder / and upload it to server, here my Thread

thundercles

Feb 20, 2011
Tempe, Arizona
I am a dev and I need to do this for a paid job for a client that has compensated me well and in advance so I guess I'm on the case. I really only need to somehow get THIS phone on t-mobile by any means necessary which might not be enough to meet the requirements for this bounty but I'll post any relevant information that I come up with in this process. I gotta finish the job and I know it's possible so we should make some progress here.

I do have one question, when you stick your sim card in the phone what happens? On mine it just straight refuses to recognize the card, I have tried another sim card at the t mobile store and had him check the IMEI number to verify it isn't blocked by the t mobile network. I don't even get to a point where I get a sim unlock code option. I have the phone bootloader unlocked and t mobile (unlocked) stock 4.4 sbf flashed onto the phone currently. It says the sim card is invalid.

What does it do when you stick alternate sim cards in your sprint moto x?

ararr

May 10, 2011
Attached is the error screen show when i insert my sim, i had facing the same problem in hong kong:(

Sent from my XT1056 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1392207180467.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392207180467.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 215

thundercles

Feb 20, 2011
Tempe, Arizona
Interesting that is the exact same error I'm getting as well. It is not even accepting the sim card at all, this is with bootloader unlocked. That's why I'm trying to get the QC Diag drivers for this phone so I can zero out the SPL and look at all the specific modem features. I have also flashed a full stock t-mobile firmware through rsdlite also to no avail (but I don't remember if I have flashed one since unlocking the boot loader) and I am pretty sure the radio image was part of this flash. Maybe the radio is blocked by the bootloader though, I'm about to try flashing it again unlocked and then I'm out of options until I can get those drivers and get in and poke around the modem myself. I'm about ready to call motorola AGAIN about them.

jasonbuechler

Oct 8, 2012
I havent unlocked my Moto x cause im still with sprint. but even then, you still need to be with sprint for 90 days or something before they allow you to unlock. if you customer service, you might be able to get an exception. I've had mostly good experiences with them

Hey Kittiesoncrack, I just wanted to ask if you had seen the post/other thread by 'ysabxe'? It sounds like he's thiiiiis close to a sim unlock but needs an actual Sprint customer to finish. It sounds like you are a current customer in good standing who's eligible to request an "official" sim unlock from Sprint, is that correct? If so, any chance you would be willing to work with ysabxe on his unlock solution? Many many thanks if so!!

Here's his thread -->
[REQUEST] To make SIM-Unlock possible, need all files from OTA Unlocked Sprint MOTO X
Old 7th February 2014, 01:12 PM (Last edited by ysabxe; 10th February 2014 at 07:46 AM.)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2639665

J_McBurst

Apr 17, 2014
bounty

ok guys, I add $25 to the bounty. Lets unlock that sprint moto x already!

(yes, I too was conned on ebay, never repeating that mistake, but love the phone which now serves as a small wifi only tablet...)

yar_nl

Jan 7, 2014
Maybe this will work?

h??p://bbs.ihei5.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=322394&extra=page%3D1 &mobile=2

Needs logging in for download though...

yar_nl

Jan 7, 2014
Maybe this will work?

h??p://bbs.ihei5.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=322394&extra=page%3D1 &mobile=2

Needs logging in for download though...

The file can be found here:
h??p://pan.baidu.com/s/1c08D4Ta

Instructions are Google translated:

Tip: If you want to brush the bottom of the package does not clear the data and built-in storage, will erase userdata delete this line on the line. If V version of the brush end package not want to re crack telecommunications 3G, you can erase modemst1 and erase modemst2 removed. If you want to re-break Telecom 3G, cleared away the two partitions directly, without moving to other places, but do not brush the bottom of the package complete. (Because crack Telecom 3G is changed here!!) Some small description of the bottom package, you can refer to this article: Mirroring end MOTOX

I think it says remove the lines in XML:

erase modemst1
erase modemst2

MrSaba

Jan 11, 2011
Tbilisi
I have open Bounty thread in General http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/sprint-xt1056-simlock-dev-t2729744and there is 120$ now so there is people who want to unlock it so let make developers to interest in job

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 AM ----------

I am a dev and I need to do this for a paid job for a client that has compensated me well and in advance so I guess I'm on the case. I really only need to somehow get THIS phone on t-mobile by any means necessary which might not be enough to meet the requirements for this bounty but I'll post any relevant information that I come up with in this process. I gotta finish the job and I know it's possible so we should make some progress here.

I do have one question, when you stick your sim card in the phone what happens? On mine it just straight refuses to recognize the card, I have tried another sim card at the t mobile store and had him check the IMEI number to verify it isn't blocked by the t mobile network. I don't even get to a point where I get a sim unlock code option. I have the phone bootloader unlocked and t mobile (unlocked) stock 4.4 sbf flashed onto the phone currently. It says the sim card is invalid.

What does it do when you stick alternate sim cards in your sprint moto x?

I didn't receive sim unlock code input when you insert sim card because Sprint is update it via OTA to unlock GSM radio we need actual sprint customer who already have unlocked Sprint Moto X maybe you look this thread http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/moto-x-qa/request-to-make-sim-unlock-files-ota-t2639665 and cotact with his author he already did Sprint LG G2 SIM Unlock and I think he know some tricks

Last edited:

Techno Droid

Aug 8, 2011
Chicago
My sprint moto x that I didn't get from sprint that I got through Motorola has no carrier branding on it. Does mean something?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
My sprint moto x that I didn't get from sprint that I got through Motorola has no carrier branding on it. Does mean something?

Look in your app drawer. Do you have an app called "Sprint Zone"?

See here: http://support.sprint.com/support/tutorial/Use_the_Sprint_Zone_app_Moto_Xtrade/49588-1294

Or do you simply mean it doesn't have "Sprint" physically stamped/printed somewhere on the actual phone itself?

Techno Droid

Aug 8, 2011
Chicago
Look in your app drawer. Do you have an app called "Sprint Zone"?

See here: http://support.sprint.com/support/tutorial/Use_the_Sprint_Zone_app_Moto_Xtrade/49588-1294

Or do you simply mean it doesn't have "Sprint" physically stamped/printed somewhere on the actual phone itself?
yea it does. I feel like a total noob here. I had an iPhone 5s for 5 months and coming back to android makes me feel like I missed a lot, when I didn't. well I always had a nexus. but I thought development would be great for this phone. I really don't see much for the sprint variant. I might just be switching back to T-Mobile and picking up the nexus 5. how to really tell if device here can be used with another carrier? I don't think its only locked down to sprint. I just don't have the Sim to check.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
yea it does. I feel like a total noob here. I had an iPhone 5s for 5 months and coming back to android makes me feel like I missed a lot, when I didn't. well I always had a nexus. but I thought development would be great for this phone. I really don't see much for the sprint variant. I might just be switching back to T-Mobile and picking up the nexus 5. how to really tell if device here can be used with another carrier? I don't think its only locked down to sprint. I just don't have the Sim to check.

This should clarify the situation for you:

AFAIK, Sprint does not offer any phones that can be used on other domestic GSM carriers. There are some Sprint phones which the Developers have created an 'Exploit' that allows them to be used on domestic or international GSM carriers, but we haven't found a solution for the Moto X yet.

As you already know (from the SIM-Unlock thread...), Sprint CAN unlock your Moto X, but they will only unlock it for international use.

The Verizon Moto X models (XT1060) are able to be used domestically on AT&T and T-Mobile, but users have reported issues with the latest updates when using on domestic GSM carriers.

You probably already know this, but both Verizon and Sprint are CDMA carriers, which is a completely different technology than GSM carriers (AT&T / T-Mobile, etc.).

The CDMA carriers subsidize their phones. As such, they do not want you to be able to use your phone on another carrier....because they lose money...

If you want to be able to switch carriers, you should buy a GSM model - specifically the GSM Unlocked model (XT1053).

This is the only U.S. version that comes SIM-Unlocked, able to be used on ANY GSM carrier. The AT&T version CAN be used on other GSM carriers, but you must first unlock it either through an online SIM-Unlock code seller, or possibly obtaining the code from AT&T.

My recommendation to you would be to sell your XT1056 on Swappa, and use the money to buy the XT1053 GSM Unlocked Version. You could sell it as "Unlocked for international carriers", since you have obtained the international SIM-Unlock already. Some of our overseas friends may be interested in buying it...

Do note that NONE of the GSM variants can be used on CDMA carriers such as Verizon or Sprint.

Good Luck

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
ATTENTION EVERYONE:

Now that I've solved this I'm requesting that this thread be CLOSED. It is completely up to the Moderators whether or not they do it (not my decision), but hopefully they will oblige, since this thread is now redundant.

I have created a NEW thread, with the FULL solution here: http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/guide-success-sim-unlock-sprint-xt1056-t2825155/post54338933

PLEASE DO NOT POST FURTHER IN THIS THREAD -- I WILL NOT BE MONITORING IT.

Please bring all questions / comments / "You're Awesome" posts, etc. to the NEW thread. All who pledged bounties, please pay up!

Thanks everyone for listening and not posting anything further to this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Time to pay up if you didn't remove your pledge fellas! ;)

By the way, my crack appears to also unlock for domestic u.s. GSM carriers as well as international.

I will be starting a new thread soon with the FULL SOLUTION, everyone. ;)

We will know for sure, soon. See other xt1056 in the meantime.