FORUMS

Which IM Client on Android is best?

With so many different messengers to choose from, it can be tough to find the best one for you and … more

Android Factory Reset Security Flaw and More – XDA TV

Nvidia is releasing a 500Gb SHIELD TV Pro! That and much more news is … more

Android M Code Name: Macadamia Nut Cookie

While the official name for the latest iteration of Android has yet to be revealed, the code … more

XDA Recap: This Week In Android (May 17 – 23)

Another week, another recap. The Sunday tradition marches on this week with a fresh … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] SlapMyMoto 4.4 Rooting/Unrooting

3rd February 2014, 08:12 AM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
So I'll be getting a Verizon Moto X soon and I plan to root via SlapMyMoto. My question is this: If my device ever needs to be serviced for warranty or resold at a later date, will I be able to unroot with ease back to 100% stock 4.4 without a trace of the rooting? The process is so convoluted that I worry it breaks certain things and I won't be able to switch back to pure stock. Has anyone tried this?
 
 
3rd February 2014, 01:37 PM |#2  
enriquejones666's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag san jose
Thanks Meter: 36
 
More
"100% stock without a trace of rooting"... No. You can easily flash back to the stock 4.2.2 image, But the system write protect that "WpNoMo" disables, does not revert back (meaning, the system wp will remain disabled). So, it will be nearly indistinguishable from stock, but a trained expert could easily detect it (a single command sent over adb will tell you wp is off).
Sent from Nexus 7
Last edited by enriquejones666; 3rd February 2014 at 01:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to enriquejones666 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd February 2014, 02:28 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 41
 
More
I was wondering the same thing. I rooted my 32g VZW Moto with Slap 1.0, but just received my Dev Edition from the $100 off sale. My plan is to return the original back to stock and sell. Will the stock recovery return when flashing back to 4.2.2? I wanna make sure the buyer can upgrade OTA and whatever like stock.
5th February 2014, 03:28 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by trrubicon06

I was wondering the same thing. I rooted my 32g VZW Moto with Slap 1.0, but just received my Dev Edition from the $100 off sale. My plan is to return the original back to stock and sell. Will the stock recovery return when flashing back to 4.2.2? I wanna make sure the buyer can upgrade OTA and whatever like stock.

This. For all practical purposes, will the phone pass a warranty test and be resellable to act like a normal phone with OTA updates and the like?
5th February 2014, 03:52 AM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 178
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by trrubicon06

Will the stock recovery return when flashing back to 4.2.2? I wanna make sure the buyer can upgrade OTA and whatever like stock.

Yes it will. Like stock depends on whether or not you disabled write protection completely.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gerodive

This. For all practical purposes, will the phone pass a warranty test and be resellable to act like a normal phone with OTA updates and the like?

I believe the answer is yes because the 4.4 OTA tripped the counter.
The Following User Says Thank You to nhizzat For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th February 2014, 03:16 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhizzat

Yes it will. Like stock depends on whether or not you disabled write protection completely.




I believe the answer is yes because the 4.4 OTA tripped the counter.

What does that mean? Apologies for my relative ignorance in this field.
5th February 2014, 03:41 PM |#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 178
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerodive

What does that mean? Apologies for my relative ignorance in this field.

From what I've read, the 4.4 OTA trips the flash counter within the bootloader as if you had flashed something yourself manually. What I gathered from that is there's no way to distinguish a previously rooted Moto X from a completely stock Moto X with the 4.4 OTA.
The Following User Says Thank You to nhizzat For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th February 2014, 05:19 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
That's good to hear. So I'll be able to root 4.4, unroot, and get whatever the newest OTA is (probably 4.4.2) without any issue?
5th February 2014, 06:36 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Flag Fort Myers,FL
Thanks Meter: 257
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerodive

That's good to hear. So I'll be able to root 4.4, unroot, and get whatever the newest OTA is (probably 4.4.2) without any issue?

when ever you want to go back to stock you just need to download the stock firmware and flash it via RSD Lite or Fastboot and then take the OTA
The Following User Says Thank You to dray_jr For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
4.4, moto x, root, slapmymoto, unroot
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes