Big Android BBQ 5.0 Recap – XDA TV

This fifth annual Big Android BBQ has come and gone. The speakers have spoke, the sponsors have … more

Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

Google Confirms “Android Lollipop Day” for November 3rd

A little over a week ago, Google announced the latest iteration of … more

Get Your XDA 2015 Custom Avatar and Signature Images Here

As stated in our motto, XDA Developer is for developers, by developers. The … more

[Q] SlapMyMoto RockMyMoto Motopwnnomo issues

OP vitalright

26th January 2014, 01:15 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Where I'm coming from
I followed a guide on here that consolidated all the links for rooting the motox into a massive guide it was working great until I got to slap my moto.

ISSUE
While using slapmymoto I got to the part where it said to take the OTA, I had write protect off, and had already manually flashed everything back to stock. Ie
Code:
fastboot flash partition gpt.bin and all the rest of the fastboots listed when going back to stock and mfastboot flash system system.img
So I take the KitKat OTA and the update fails to apply. So I say okay let's start over from scratch.

I begin rockmymoto again and it skips straight to step 3 and does not install superuser. I then check my write protect status with
Code:
adb shell getprop to.boot.write_protect
it returns 0 so I skip motopwnnomo and then I proceed to rerun slapmymoto which also says step 3 install ota. Upon retrying it fails to update.

Things I have tried
Wiping user data
Wiping cache
Rerunning motopwnnomo (wants root but I can't get it because of rockmymoto won't work, but it still returns 0 on write protect status)
Reinstalling supersu (can't install binary)

Information about my device
MOTOX ATT 4.2.2
26th January 2014, 02:21 AM   |  #2  
Flag Lexington, KY
Thanks Meter: 93

610 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalright

Where I'm coming from
I followed a guide on here that consolidated all the links for rooting the motox into a massive guide it was working great until I got to slap my moto.

ISSUE
While using slapmymoto I got to the part where it said to take the OTA, I had write protect off, and had already manually flashed everything back to stock. Ie

Code:
fastboot flash partition gpt.bin and all the rest of the fastboots listed when going back to stock and mfastboot flash system system.img
So I take the KitKat OTA and the update fails to apply. So I say okay let's start over from scratch.

I begin rockmymoto again and it skips straight to step 3 and does not install superuser. I then check my write protect status with
Code:
adb shell getprop to.boot.write_protect
it returns 0 so I skip motopwnnomo and then I proceed to rerun slapmymoto which also says step 3 install ota. Upon retrying it fails to update.

Things I have tried
Wiping user data
Wiping cache
Rerunning motopwnnomo (wants root but I can't get it because of rockmymoto won't work, but it still returns 0 on write protect status)
Reinstalling supersu (can't install binary)

Information about my device
MOTOX ATT 4.2.2

Do you get an error message when you try to take the OTA?

Also... When you return to 4.2.2 can you achieve root? I assume you can because you got write protection turned off...

The SlapMyMoto method worked for me but your guide looks... Overly complicated, but perhaps that is just the writing...

Here is the guide that I used... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2538896

Basically what it does is, return to 4.2.2. Get root using RockMyMoto then after you know you have root for sure, you've got to disable write protection and thus you need to run MotoWPNoMo. Once you've done that, confirm that write protection is off then you follow the guide I linked to. Sounds like you've done the stuff to gain root in 4.2.2 and disable write protection...

It took me 2 tries to get write protection turned off. You don't accept the OTA until you've executed SlapMyMoto twice, rebooting each time. Then you take the OTA and execute the commands in the guide you should reboot and the phone will be rooted.

I will say, my phone didn't reboot as it said it should.

Code:
adb shell
cp /sdcard/install.sh /data/local/tmp/install.sh
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/install.sh
echo "/data/local/tmp/install.sh" > /sys/kernel/uevent_helper
Basically moves an install script to the device and then the last command forces the system to execute the script during a type of kernel event. Now, the script is supposed to reboot the phone by itself but I did as the guide said and toggle bluetooth and then waited for a reboot. When I didn't get a reboot I was concerned but I waited about 5 minutes and reboot manually. I had (and still have) root.
Last edited by titanshadow; 26th January 2014 at 02:33 AM.
26th January 2014, 02:33 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanshadow

Do you get an error message when you try to take the OTA?

Idownload and my phone reboots to recovery, begins installing loads a quarter of the way and reboots goes to it again and acts like its installing and then I get a dead android Screen then it will goto 4.2.2 and j get a notification saying the update failed.
26th January 2014, 02:40 AM   |  #4  
Flag Lexington, KY

610 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Idownload and my phone reboots to recovery, begins installing loads a quarter of the way and reboots goes to it again and acts like its installing and then I get a dead android Screen then it will goto 4.2.2 and j get a notification saying the update failed.

That is very strange. What you might try is a manual install. I'm assuming you've got mfastboot access since you returned to 4.2.2 previously?

I'm uploading the 4.4 firmware image to my DropBox right now. What I would do is use the same method that you did to return the phone to 4.2.2 and use this ZIP to force the OTA update. I've had to do this with Odin on my SGS3 a few times. It might take my computer 10-20 minutes to get this file up into DropBox so if it doesn't download the first time wait a bit and try again.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5lo1kzyp7d...FC_1FF.xml.zip

I personally used this, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2560571 to manually flash the 4.2.2 firmware before rooting, it should work for the 4.4 firmware as well. RDS Lite can probably do it too, but I haven't played with that at all.

If this all fails, I highly recommend you flash back to 4.2.2 and do a full factory reset, wipe out everything. Then, start over.
26th January 2014, 02:44 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:

That is very strange. What you might try is a manual install. I'm assuming you've got mfastboot access since you returned to 4.2.2 previously?

I'm uploading the 4.4 firmware image to my DropBox right now. What I would do is use the same method that you did to return the phone to 4.2.2 and use this ZIP to force the OTA update. I've had to do this with Odin on my SGS3 a few times. It might take my computer 10-20 minutes to get this file up into DropBox so if it doesn't download the first time wait a bit and try again.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5lo1kzyp7d...FC_1FF.xml.zip

I personally used this, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2560571 to manually flash the 4.2.2 firmware before rooting, it should work for the 4.4 firmware as well. RDS Lite can probably do it too, but I haven't played with that at all.

If this all fails, I highly recommend you flash back to 4.2.2 and do a full factory reset, wipe out everything. Then, start over.

Okay so would I have to redo rockmymoto and motopwnnomo or will perma write access survive fastboot flash ? Also I see it is for vzw!?!?
Last edited by vitalright; 26th January 2014 at 02:48 AM.
26th January 2014, 04:06 AM   |  #6  
Flag Lexington, KY

610 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Okay so would I have to redo rockmymoto and motopwnnomo or will perma write access survive fastboot flash ? Also I see it is for vzw!?!?

****... Sorry about that, I wasn't thinking. Yes, don't flash the ROM I posted, it is for VZW! Sorry!

http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0

There, that is where I got mine for VZW and your AT&T ROM is also linked there too! Sorry about that.

I don't think you necessarily have to redo the first two steps, if you confirmed that write protection is off then I would try flashing your AT&T 4.4 ROM over top of it, factory reset, and then try SlapMyMoto to gain root. At this point if the download from AT&T didn't properly go through you're just manually flashing the ROM it should have flashed anyway.

If that doesn't work, then I'd go back to the start and redo the whole shabang.
26th January 2014, 04:34 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:

****... Sorry about that, I wasn't thinking. Yes, don't flash the ROM I posted, it is for VZW! Sorry!

There, that is where I got mine for VZW and your AT&T ROM is also linked there too! Sorry about that.

I don't think you necessarily have to redo the first two steps, if you confirmed that write protection is off then I would try flashing your AT&T 4.4 ROM over top of it, factory reset, and then try SlapMyMoto to gain root. At this point if the download from AT&T didn't properly go through you're just manually flashing the ROM it should have flashed anyway.

If that doesn't work, then I'd go back to the start and redo the whole shabang.

I have Solved the problem !!!!!!!

SOLUTION IS ....
I was on the straight from the factory 4.2.2 not the camera update for it. it caused the update to fail even when i restored to the updated firmware. i fixed that by doing a full manual flash from the .xml in the camera update zip
Code:
<step operation="oem" var="fb_mode_set"/>
<step operation="flash" partition="partition" filename="gpt.bin" MD5="67980C7381E0277629161F06B84E720D"/>
<step operation="flash" partition="motoboot" filename="motoboot.img" MD5="34B3A02418240C805CCB2998B2343261"/>
<step operation="flash" partition="logo" filename="logo.bin" MD5="1F8DBC99E41DFB7596DBC78687AC5E7B"/>
<step operation="flash" partition="boot" filename="boot.img" MD5="63098D9C0F96547807E0680461C70973"/>
<step operation="flash" partition="recovery" filename="recovery.img" MD5="54E78E2A49F46AD135BF1A3E72D07FDC"/>
<step operation="flash" partition="system" filename="system.img" MD5="8C39FE2560490B06FC3D29B9C98598CC"/>
<step operation="flash" partition="modem" filename="NON-HLOS.bin" MD5="D800F8AEB23F5C54A88727604D77CC4A"/>
<step operation="erase" partition="modemst1"/>
<step operation="erase" partition="modemst2"/>
<step operation="flash" partition="fsg" filename="fsg.mbn" MD5="13DF6FB5E0D91BA03075E5F89132D281"/>
<step operation="erase" partition="cache"/>
<step operation="erase" partition="userdata"/>
<step operation="erase" partition="customize"/>
<step operation="erase" partition="clogo"/>
<step operation="oem" var="config carrier att"/>
<step operation="oem" var="fb_mode_clear"/>
The Above codes work if you read the line for example these are all fastboot commands and the operation type is flash, so we have fastboot flash (the partition in this example..(motoboot)) motoboot motoboot.img pretty simple i guess.
after running all these you are COMPLETELY on the 4.2.2 camera update and the update to kitkat will go.
these will work on any carrier just substitute ATT for VZW etc etc.

However i encountered an issue where the exploit never exectued (the last lines in slapmymoto) so i donwgraded back to 4.2.2 and reran slapmymoto (it went from step 1) i took the OTA again, it went just fine. and upon executing the last lines i was granted sueruser when i typed adb shell su after a reboot.

in short my main issue was that i was not on the CAMERA update but rather fresh from the factory 4.2.2 and slapmymoto DEFINITELY does not like that at all. i will be updating my OP with my solution shortly

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread