XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

"Smooth" vs "non-slip" back

Tip us?

jonnythan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Default "Smooth" vs "non-slip" back

Has anyone actually used both a "non-slip" back and a "smooth clean" back Moto X? Is there an actual difference in how slippery the phone is?

Trying to decide between a Dev Edition or Mint back for a replacement device.

Old
Thanks Meter 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan View Post
Has anyone actually used both a "non-slip" back and a "smooth clean" back Moto X? Is there an actual difference in how slippery the phone is?

Trying to decide between a Dev Edition or Mint back for a replacement device.
do you mean smooth vs. woven? others have posted that the non-woven backs are actually more tacky than the woven ones.

jonnythan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Well right now I have royal blue, which is described on Moto Maker as "soft nonslip." Woven black has the same description.

Mint, however, says "clean and smooth."

Old
Thanks Meter 102
maybe that's just a description. vzw has the backs displayed like a peacock. they all had the same rubberized coating. if you want/need additional tack, you could always get a case.

jonnythan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
A case is not an option. Just looking for opinions on people who have held and used both.

Solutions Etcetera
Old
Thanks Meter 154
The smooth backs are definitely more slippery. The are a harder plastic without any kind of soft touch/rubberized feel to them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Solutions Etcetera For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Johmama
Old
Thanks Meter 268

DONATE TO ME
I have the Dev Edition with the woven back and I gotta say that it's pretty slippery. I can't compare to the solid colored backs because I've never held one in my hand. Just chiming in that the woven backs are pretty slippery. It really surprised me because in the pictures, the woven back looks like it would be more 3D; like they would have the actual feel of a back made of woven materials instead of just a paint job to look like it. I know that was the point, it just took me by surprise is all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johmama For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jonnythan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Interesting, and unfortunate. I wonder if the black woven back has a different texture than the white woven, because the black says soft non-slip.

Not that I want the black woven back. I guess I'll be avoiding the Dev edition *and* the Mint back. Too bad.

Solutions Etcetera
Old
Thanks Meter 154
I have not felt the white woven back, but the black one is pretty grippy (much more so than the light colored smooth backs). They are not painted, but actually woven. The pattern comes from some translucency in the plastic that shows the underlying fibers.

If you go to a carrier store, they usually will have a black woven back and most of the colors that you can feel.

funmerlin
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
I have not felt the white woven back, but the black one is pretty grippy (much more so than the light colored smooth backs). They are not painted, but actually woven. The pattern comes from some translucency in the plastic that shows the underlying fibers.

If you go to a carrier store, they usually will have a black woven back and most of the colors that you can feel.
Yeah the black woven is pretty grippy. Almost rubbery.

My wife's blush (the light pink) back is smoother and less grippy.
Moto X | Nexus 7 2013 | Galaxy Nexus (Toro): AOKP | TF101: