Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,536 Members 52,866 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[SOLVED] Mfastboot assistance (trying to flash TWRP)

Tip us?

drago10029
Old
(Last edited by drago10029; 6th April 2014 at 10:25 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
Default [SOLVED] Mfastboot assistance (trying to flash TWRP)

having some flashing issues

I can confirm good file download, drivers on PC are good, I'm using a back USB port, USB cable is BRAND NEW! lol, have Write protection off as well. Tried both fastboot and mfastboot just for good measure. Any thoughts? Do I NEED to have an unlocked bootloader for this? please say no

Also the file shows up as a different size on the fastboot screen, it's over 10mb.

Quote:
C:\Users\Ivan Lee\Downloads\Android\adt-bundle-windows-x86-20131030\sdk\platform
-tools>mfastboot flash recovery twrp-2.6.3.1-ghost-4.4.img
sending 'recovery' (9854 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.850s]
writing 'recovery'...
Preflash validation failed
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 1.250s
Samsung Galaxy S III i747 in creamy Pebble Blue
Skyrocket and Vibrant R.I.P. Gone but not forgotten! MOTO X Goodbye and Good ridden!

Travisdroidx2
Old
Thanks Meter 783
You need a unlocked bootloader to flash twrp. If you are locked then you must use safestrap recovery.

drago10029
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisdroidx2 View Post
You need a unlocked bootloader to flash twrp. If you are locked then you must use safestrap recovery.
Was afraid of that... sucks. Would that mean only certain partitions have R/W access with "MotoWpNoMo"?
Skyrocket and Vibrant R.I.P. Gone but not forgotten! MOTO X Goodbye and Good ridden!

bigv5150
Old
Thanks Meter 192
No the entire system has r/w access the only difference is you can flash a kernel with an unlocked boot loader. As a matter of fact safstrap is made from twrp they look and function the same. Only difference is SS has ROM slots for kexek kernels. Unlocked bootloaders don't need these slots we can flash just about anything within reason.

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2849
If you're on 4.4.2 you won't get root now tho. You'd have had to be rooted before upgrading.

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....
Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

drago10029
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigv5150 View Post
No the entire system has r/w access the only difference is you can flash a kernel with an unlocked boot loader. As a matter of fact safstrap is made from twrp they look and function the same. Only difference is SS has ROM slots for kexek kernels. Unlocked bootloaders don't need these slots we can flash just about anything within reason.
I'll assume by system you mean system partition, I figured that since we can get root on 4.4 Write protection has to be removed from at the very least the system partition. Also, Yeah I know a little about safestrap and it's features but may not bother with it, had 3 Moto-x's so far, all have the same MMS issue so I'm probably def refunding it, that issue aside great phone. also, i don't want to unlock my bootloader (no warranty) especially since Moto's stock firmware has bugs in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post
If you're on 4.4.2 you won't get root now tho. You'd have had to be rooted before upgrading.

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....
No 4.4.2 stuff here. I mentioned having write protection off so I'm def rooted already thanks for the replies guys