Unofficial Android 4.4 Lands on Three Mediatek Devices

For the last few years, devices with MTK systems-on-chip haven’t received much … more

MultiImagePicker Library for Multiple Image Selection

App developmentcan be done in more than a handful of ways. You can write every single … more

Shoot Troubles, Not Users w/ Alex Boag-Munroe – XDA:DevCon 2014

In presenting the various sessions from XDA:DevCon 2014, weve mainly … more

Oppo Releases ColorOS for the Find 5… Poorly

Almost every OEM has taken the liberty of creating its own incarnation of the Android OS. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[SOLVED] Mfastboot assistance (trying to flash TWRP)

OP drago10029

6th April 2014, 05:43 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Phazon Mines
Thanks Meter: 80

469 posts
More
having some flashing issues

I can confirm good file download, drivers on PC are good, I'm using a back USB port, USB cable is BRAND NEW! lol, have Write protection off as well. Tried both fastboot and mfastboot just for good measure. Any thoughts? Do I NEED to have an unlocked bootloader for this? please say no

Also the file shows up as a different size on the fastboot screen, it's over 10mb.

Quote:

C:\Users\Ivan Lee\Downloads\Android\adt-bundle-windows-x86-20131030\sdk\platform
-tools>mfastboot flash recovery twrp-2.6.3.1-ghost-4.4.img
sending 'recovery' (9854 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.850s]
writing 'recovery'...
Preflash validation failed
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 1.250s

Last edited by drago10029; 6th April 2014 at 11:25 PM.
6th April 2014, 06:12 AM   |  #2  
Flag Bay Area California
Thanks Meter: 867

3,192 posts
More
You need a unlocked bootloader to flash twrp. If you are locked then you must use safestrap recovery.
6th April 2014, 07:02 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Phazon Mines

469 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisdroidx2

You need a unlocked bootloader to flash twrp. If you are locked then you must use safestrap recovery.

Was afraid of that... sucks. Would that mean only certain partitions have R/W access with "MotoWpNoMo"?
6th April 2014, 12:18 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 224

843 posts
No the entire system has r/w access the only difference is you can flash a kernel with an unlocked boot loader. As a matter of fact safstrap is made from twrp they look and function the same. Only difference is SS has ROM slots for kexek kernels. Unlocked bootloaders don't need these slots we can flash just about anything within reason.
6th April 2014, 03:42 PM   |  #5  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,972

13,703 posts
More
If you're on 4.4.2 you won't get root now tho. You'd have had to be rooted before upgrading.

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....
6th April 2014, 11:23 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Phazon Mines

469 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigv5150

No the entire system has r/w access the only difference is you can flash a kernel with an unlocked boot loader. As a matter of fact safstrap is made from twrp they look and function the same. Only difference is SS has ROM slots for kexek kernels. Unlocked bootloaders don't need these slots we can flash just about anything within reason.

I'll assume by system you mean system partition, I figured that since we can get root on 4.4 Write protection has to be removed from at the very least the system partition. Also, Yeah I know a little about safestrap and it's features but may not bother with it, had 3 Moto-x's so far, all have the same MMS issue so I'm probably def refunding it, that issue aside great phone. also, i don't want to unlock my bootloader (no warranty) especially since Moto's stock firmware has bugs in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112

If you're on 4.4.2 you won't get root now tho. You'd have had to be rooted before upgrading.

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....

No 4.4.2 stuff here. I mentioned having write protection off so I'm def rooted already thanks for the replies guys
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread