[SOLVED] Unrooted VZW Moto X Will Not Boot Past Splash Screen

OP thebrianiac

16th May 2014, 02:53 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Charlotte, NC
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
More
I cannot get my phone to boot. It started when I was installing updates from the Play Store. It suddenly rebooted in the middle and it hasn't made it past the boot animation since.

When I try to turn it on, it will go through the boot animation and then end with the Verizon logo. The screen turns off afterwards. If I leave it alone, it eventually reboots itself again.

I've had this happen a couple times in the past but it always recovered after a couple of reboots.

This is an unrooted phone. The only sideloaded app installed is SwiftKey Beta. It has that latest 4.4.2 update. The battery was ~50% when it rebooted the first time. It's set to use ART runtime. I've tried clearing the cache from the bootloader AND from fastboot. Neither helped. I really don't want to restore to factory defaults if I don't have to. Advice?

SOLVED: My solution in 3rd post.
TL;DR: Reflashed stock system partition. Turned on and plugged in overnight. Hard reboot via holding down power button for 7-10 seconds. YMMV
Last edited by thebrianiac; 16th May 2014 at 03:35 PM.
16th May 2014, 02:04 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 971

2,295 posts
More
You mention Unrooted, does that mean you've never used SlapMyMoto/RockMyMoto/etc or MotoWpNoMo?

If so, and you don't mind re-writing your /system partition (putting it back to stock), you can try option 2 or 3 on -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/MotoX-ReturnToStock.html . Option 2 will definitely not touch your data/apps. Option 3, if you follow EXACTLY will also not touch your data/apps.
The Following User Says Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th May 2014, 03:30 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Charlotte, NC
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe

You mention Unrooted, does that mean you've never used SlapMyMoto/RockMyMoto/etc or MotoWpNoMo?

If so, and you don't mind re-writing your /system partition (putting it back to stock), you can try option 2 or 3 on -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/MotoX-ReturnToStock.html . Option 2 will definitely not touch your data/apps. Option 3, if you follow EXACTLY will also not touch your data/apps.

Thanks for the reply, Mark.

I actually tried flashing the stock system partition last night shortly after I posted here but it didn't work.

However, I left it plugged in and turned it on once before I went to bed. In the morning, it was still stuck after the boot animation so I held down the power button for about 10 seconds to hard reboot it. I went to brush my teeth and get ready for work and when I came back, the phone had booted up all the way! Reflashing the stock system partition may have helped but I can't be sure.

I've seen this happen before but I think it was after I switched to ART and my sister's Dalvik Moto X doesn't do it. I'll be switching back to Dalvik after this scare.
16th May 2014, 04:43 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 971

2,295 posts
More
[QUOTE=thebrianiac;52700161I've seen this happen before but I think it was after I switched to ART and my sister's Dalvik Moto X doesn't do it. I'll be switching back to Dalvik after this scare. [/QUOTE]
Art is still "experimental" and not all apps work with Art.. so.. Its best to stick with Dalvik for now.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread