5,606,588 Members 35,839 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Sprint OTA 4.4 on rooted (locked) 4.2.2 - Now reboots every 30 secs

Tip us?

DssTrainer
Old
(Last edited by DssTrainer; 19th December 2013 at 05:38 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Default [Q] Sprint OTA 4.4 on rooted (locked) 4.2.2 - Now reboots every 30 secs

So I had a rooted Sprint 4.2.2 (not unlocked, just rooted) and I got the OTA alert.
I accidentally installed it and it failed and now when it restarts, it gets to android for about 30 secs and then does the "powering off" bit and restarts... over and over.

In that 30 secs I can get to the settings and see that the version is still 4.2.2 so it didn't take. But it almost seems like it in stuck in that mode where it thinks it is doing the upgrade.

I tried killing memory resident stuff to prevent the restart to no avail.
I cannot get into any kind of stock recovery, it just reboots to normal mode
My only option is to go into Bootloader which does work.

But when I try to use RSD Lite and flash back to that last stock image, it shows
Failed flashing process 2/17 flash partition "gpt.bin"

I read that this may be due to the phone not allowing me to downgrade to a version lower than I currently have? Also read it could be the battery needs to be charged more.

Thoughts?

charlie-n
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Can you get to the factory reset in that thirty seconds?

Sent from my XT1056 using xda app-developers app

gokart2
Old
(Last edited by gokart2; 19th December 2013 at 05:18 AM.)
Thanks Meter 221
If you can get to boot loader, will it go into recovery? If so, try restoring a backup. Likely you will have to do THIS, and I recommend doing this, the ota, then reroot.

Edit: if it boots to ROM for 30sec, try wiping cache and dalvik, then fix permissions, then reboot.
---------------------------------------------------
Moto X [XT1056-Sprint]
Stock ROM or AOSPA
Nexus 7- AOSPA
Stock kernel

DssTrainer
Old
(Last edited by DssTrainer; 19th December 2013 at 06:00 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Ok so after reading around and doing some of my own playing around, I figured out how to fix it with some ideas from this thread

First off, the moto x rooting process actually REMOVES the recovery.img file from your phone, so what seems to be happening is that the upgrade downloads and starts to install... it attempts to load the recovery to flash the image, but since it doesn't exist, it just restarts the phone. When the phone restarts, the upgrade process still thinks it needs to run the upgrade, so it powers down.. this is where it gets stuck in the loop.

The solution is actually simple. Get into Bootloader mode (Power + Vol Down) which was slightly tricky since the phone always rebooted and never actually powered down. So I had to catch it at the end of the power off cycle, before it restarted. Once I was in bootloader mode I could use the following command:
Code:
fastboot erase cache
That seems to remove the downloaded update files as the phone stopped rebooting over and over.

But now I get Mobile IP Registration Error 67 (MIP) which basically means my registration data got wiped.. not sure I understand why that would happen.. but it basically means I need my MSL and have to enter the code to reset registration which will force a wipe of all data. At least I have the opportunity to back everything up over wifi now that I've stopped the looping.

The second part of this fix I haven't tried, but based on an educated guess, to actually GET the update correctly, I would need to flash the stock recovery image back using:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
where the recovery.img file comes from the zip file for the moto x stock image from the sbf repo:
http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0

That of course needs to be done before I call Sprint to get my MSL and perform the reset.

All in all, a minor setback overall... better than a paperweight Perhaps instead of doing the erase cache step and just flashing recovery may have saved my MIP data

---- EDIT-----
Ah, gokart2, I see you had a similar process. Cheers

DssTrainer
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Turns out the Mobile 67 error was because my friend changed her service back to her old phone.... I should add that this wasn't my phone by my friend's phone.