Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Closed

[STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS] Unlocking and Rooting a Dev Ed Moto X Running Kit Kat

OP Cozume

2nd August 2014, 05:41 PM   |  #71  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Pulling it together for 4.4.4 OTA updata if newbs like me are/were lost
It had been a while since I had a rooted phone so I'm coming up to speed quickly on the terms and techniques everyone is using with gaining root.

I took the simple, supported path by getting the VZW Moto X (XT1060) Devo Ed. rather than paying the Chinese guy, but I can see my daughter eventually going the $35 route, but that's another topic. I had installed the twrp 2.6.3.1 and was rooted with SuperSU.

My phone was on the 4.4.2 (KXA20.16.1.25.2) and thought I'd go for the 4.4.4 OTA as I used to have Droid Maxx and felt like I was missing the great battery life, supposedly caused by 4.4.2.

Sure, some of you might just say, Yes, take the OTA, and most likely, if you're like me, it fails. But it seems to fail on a simple test, like the version identifier 'ghost' or something like that. I thought I would first see if that's something I should check, but as it turned out, that's a serious red herring and not worth the time. It also turned out it was trying to re-install the current image.

Everywhere you will see about having to reflash the stock recovery image before you can take the OTA update. It's a pity, really, as I'm sure the TWRP gurus could figure out some "OTA" compatibility mode. If you're like me, you just need a little refresher on the terms: mostly, that you have two images you can boot, one is the recovery image and the other is the system image. Thank goodness this exists, otherwise there would be so many bricked phones out there. And, for pretty obvious reasons, you need to boot something OTHER THAN THE SYSTEM in order to replace the system! And that something is the recovery image.

There many recovery images out there, some are only available on certain phones and some are available on multiple platforms. The most popular one for the Moto X seems to be : TWRP( aka Team Win) . Kudos to these guys because it's one VERY slick recovery image.

But I kept reading and reading and then I find something about "flashing using the FXZ image" and you can skip some steps. I ended up going this route, and while it worked beautifully, I really think it could be tweaked just a little more if there were some way it could avoid flashing the recovery image during the process, thereby leaving TWRP in place. Of course, there are lots of possibilities I missed something, but in the end, it really wasn't complicated or difficult, so perhaps this note will help someone else out.

My dilemma was I couldn't find a simple way to "flash back stock 4.4.2 recovery". I found the .zip file from the moto page. I even found one that was already rooted (odexed and deodexed), but I didn't figure out how I should re-flash it. (I think I do now, but it now it doesn't matter). The FXZ method didn't seem to care about what recovery image you have installed, and that's why I believe it's the simplest upgrade method. This method is all discussed here. Follow the directions to the letter. The RSD flasher is a slick tool that helps fat-fingered typers from having to type a lot of fastboot commands. When it's all said and done, you will have 4.4.4 installed, and your recovery (TWRP) will be removed. In fact, on my phone, the WHOLE recovery image was bust and I only could get the sick android picture when trying to boot recovery. Of course root was gone too.

For anyone playing with root, my suggestion is to take a weekend and review the terms tossed around in these forums so you can get familiar. Things like "AP Fastboot mode" and debugging mode are a must. Not to mention creating a folder on your PC where you keep all the tools you'll need. I started with the forum with the ultimate authority on rooting article found here. Then today I added the RSD flasher tool and RSD lite.

But not to worry, fixing the recovery image is something any rooter should know how to do. I just went out and grabbed the latest copy of TWRP (currently 2.7.1.1) and re-flashed recovery with the usual 'flashboot flash recovery [name of twrp image]. The final part was the SU/rooting part and I found the suggestion that say to keep a copy of SuperSU on the phone (just keep in /downloads) is the simplest. The easiest way to do that is with the browser on the phone and just point to http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu and download the latest. From the .zip file, you can install easily using your recovery image (eg TWRP).

So, just in summary, if you're on 4.4.2 (and Moto X, unlocked/dev ed) and want to update to 4.4.4, I would suggest:
  1. Visit the link above for the FXZ image
  2. Download the RSD flasher and RSD Lite if you don't have it
  3. Have RSDFlasher unpack the .zip file and build the script (some XML)
  4. Connect your phone in Fastboot mode
  5. Run RSDFlasher with the newly created XML file and reboot. You now will have 4.4.4 installed
  6. Reboot back into fastboot mode and reflash TWRP using the usual fastboot command with the latest TWRP image
  7. Restart using recovery boot (this boots TWRP)
  8. Hit the install button in TWRP to install that latest copy of SuperSU you downloaded to the phone earlier.
  9. Now boot to system and you're good to go with root and 4.4.4
4th August 2014, 01:37 PM   |  #72  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 911

2,176 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATechGuy

So, just in summary, if you're on 4.4.2 (and Moto X, unlocked/dev ed) and want to update to 4.4.4, I would suggest:

1. Visit the link above for the FXZ image
  2. Download the RSD flasher and RSD Lite if you don't have it
  3. Have RSDFlasher unpack the .zip file and build the script (some XML)
  4. Connect your phone in Fastboot mode
  5. Run RSDFlasher with the newly created XML file and reboot. You now will have 4.4.4 installed
  6. Reboot back into fastboot mode and reflash TWRP using the usual fastboot command with the latest TWRP image
  7. Restart using recovery boot (this boots TWRP)
  8. Hit the install button in TWRP to install that latest copy of SuperSU you downloaded to the phone earlier.
  9. Now boot to system and you're good to go with root and 4.4.4

A couple comments on your post

You start off mentioning having a Verizon Dev Ed, but not using the Chinese middle man.. Correct. The only time the China Middleman is needed is when you have a phone Motorola will NOT give the Bootloader Unlock code out for (i.e. ATT, Republic Wireless, Non-Dev Edition Verizon). If you have a Dev Edition (GSM or for Verizon), GSM Unlocked, Sprint, Rogers Wireless, and others. Moto will give you the code for FREE on their web site.

And you only needed to request the unlock code ONCE. So if you were already bootloader and unlocked, either the China Middleman or the Moto Web site is not needed. The bootloader wont relock unless you go through the process and manually fasboot oem lock it. If you do manage to manually relock the bootloader, the same code you had will unlock it again.

If you are suggesting to download the FXZ/SBF of 4.4.4 and flash it, that only works if/when the FXZ/SBF has leaked for your phone/carrier.

You and I have Verizon. We are luck that the 4.4.4 FXZ leaked as early as it did. For ATT, T-Mo, Republic, and the Non-USA variant X (think XT1052 and others), the full FXZ hasn't leaked yet.

For new users who have only unlocked their bootloaders, flashed TWRP and rooted, then only make use of apps like RootExplorer, QuickBoot(reboot), Adfree, Wifi Tether for Root, etc.. that do NOT modify /System, the easiest way to take the OTA is to...
  1. download the SBF/FXZ for your carrier and the Software Version currently on your phone from http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0 Do NOT use a lower Software Version, or the SBF/FXZ for another carrier or you will risk bricking your phone!!!
  2. unzip it.
  3. boot the phone into fastbootAP/bootloader mode
  4. use mfastboot to flash the recovery.img to your phone - mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
  5. immediately reboot into fastbootAP/bootloader - mfastboot reboot-bootloader
  6. select recovery.
  7. once you've entered stock recovery, you can reboot back into normal system.
  8. take the OTA when it gets to your phone.
  9. you will likely remain rooted, and its optional to flash your custom recovery back on there via mFastboot

However, if you are running Xposed, did a wifi tethering hack, edited build.prop, DELETED bloat from your phone, your phone will fail the OTA Update's validation checks and it will fail. In that case, you can boot back into fasbootAP/Bootloader mode, use mfastboot to flash system.img (mfastboot flash system.img ) from the SBF/FXZ you already downloaded and unzipped. then reboot ( mfastboot reboot ), and try the OTA again. You will need to re-root by flashing custom recovery (like twrp), and re-install SuperSU
Last edited by KidJoe; 4th August 2014 at 01:45 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th August 2014, 02:33 PM   |  #73  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I guess we just lucked out with VZW this time - doesn't seem to be that way often
FWIW, I really like your Mark_Venture site. It was VERY helpful. Thanks for your clarification above. Not all newbs like me know you can just unzip those packages and find a system.img and recovery.img. I think when one understands the packaging more, and gets to know the file naming conventions, it becomes a lot simpler to understand the whole process. The other thing that was had to know was whether TWRP had any problems booting with 4.4.4, but in some ways, I can believe it's independent of the system.img version. I know others were wondering about that as well, and at least for now, the 2.7.1.1 seems to work brilliantly.
Last edited by ATechGuy; 4th August 2014 at 02:55 PM. Reason: forgot to add note about TWRP.
13th August 2014, 01:51 PM   |  #74  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 911

2,176 posts
More
Yes. The process in the OP of this thread still works great to root when your bootload is unlocked, even with the newer ROM updates...

The only changes to the OP would be...

Download the latest TWRP Recovery from -> http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/234 (under the Download-Fastboot heading) and the latest SuperSU from -> http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu or the latest CWM / TWRP / MobileODIN installable ZIP from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1538053

and use them while following the instructions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread