[Q] Stock at&t 4.4.2, can i flash ROMs?

Search This thread

Heisenberg420

Apr 28, 2011
Philadelphia
Google Pixel 6
OnePlus 11
Hi this is a pretty simple question but if someone could expand (if it is possible) by listing what needs to be done that'd be extremely helpful.

I read through the guides in the general section and i read that for at&t 4.4.2 the bootloader is locked and attempting to downgrade will brick my phone. So does this mean that i can't root my phone and flash roms? or can I, and if so what needs to be done before I download a toolkit and proceed? I'm on stock at&t OTA 4.4.2 firmware.

thanks for reading.

cpetersen2791

Mar 12, 2009
Google Pixel XL
Google Pixel 2 XL
Hi this is a pretty simple question but if someone could expand (if it is possible) by listing what needs to be done that'd be extremely helpful.

I read through the guides in the general section and i read that for at&t 4.4.2 the bootloader is locked and attempting to downgrade will brick my phone. So does this mean that i can't root my phone and flash roms? or can I, and if so what needs to be done before I download a toolkit and proceed? I'm on stock at&t OTA 4.4.2 firmware.

thanks for reading.

without an unlocked bootloader, your out of luck. You might be able to "safestrap," but last i heard, that isn't an option on OS 4.4.2.

Reactions: Heisenberg420

Dark9781

Apr 21, 2009
You will need to unlock your bootloader to flash any roms. Unfortunately there is no official way to unlock your bootloader for an AT&T branded Moto X. Since you are on 4.4.2 safestrap is also not an option. There is currently a root method for 4.4.2, but it doesn't disable write protection. Disabling write protection is required to make any permanent changes to the system. Without that ability any changes will revert back after rebooting. This includes root since that requires modifying the system. There is an unofficial way to unlock your bootloader through a Chinese middleman that has acquired databases with unlock codes. There is no guarantee that this person will have your code and seems to only be able to acquire codes from devices assembled in 2014. The middleman is selling the codes for ~$45. The information is at the following link:
http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/china-middleman-t2751177

If you want to try rooting you can try the method from the following link:
http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/orig-development/root-4-4-x-pie-motorola-devices-t2771623

Sent from my Moto X.

Heisenberg420

Apr 28, 2011
Philadelphia
Google Pixel 6
OnePlus 11
You will need to unlock your bootloader to flash any roms. Unfortunately there is no official way to unlock your bootloader for an AT&T branded Moto X. Since you are on 4.4.2 safestrap is also not an option. There is currently a root method for 4.4.2, but it doesn't disable write protection. Disabling write protection is required to make any permanent changes to the system. Without that ability any changes will revert back after rebooting. This includes root since that requires modifying the system. There is an unofficial way to unlock your bootloader through a Chinese middleman that has acquired databases with unlock codes. There is no guarantee that this person will have your code and seems to only be able to acquire codes from devices assembled in 2014. The middleman is selling the codes for ~$45. The information is at the following link:

http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/orig-development/root-4-4-x-pie-motorola-devices-t2771623

Sent from my Moto X.

thanks for the info.

the main reason i'm trying to flash a ROM is I lost rear camera functionality just randomly. Haven't found anyone else with this issue. Can I download the 4.4.3 OTA and flash it in the stock recovery? Or will I have problems with that?

Dark9781

Apr 21, 2009
thanks for the info.

the main reason i'm trying to flash a ROM is I lost rear camera functionality just randomly. Haven't found anyone else with this issue. Can I download the 4.4.3 OTA and flash it in the stock recovery? Or will I have problems with that?

The 4.4.3 is for T-Mobile and unlocked bootloaders. If it is just your rear camera having an issue you could try a factory reset or flashing the stock ROM for AT&T for 4.4.2 using RSDLite. If that doesn't work it may be a hardware problem. You may want to try a warranty exchange.

Sent from my Moto X.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

thanks for reading.

without an unlocked bootloader, your out of luck. You might be able to "safestrap," but last i heard, that isn't an option on OS 4.4.2.

Sent from my Moto X.
    thanks for the info.

The 4.4.3 is for T-Mobile and unlocked bootloaders. If it is just your rear camera having an issue you could try a factory reset or flashing the stock ROM for AT&T for 4.4.2 using RSDLite. If that doesn't work it may be a hardware problem. You may want to try a warranty exchange.

Sent from my Moto X.