Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,846 Members 37,246 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

GPS Continuously Loses Lock

Tip us?

monorailmedic
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default GPS Continuously Loses Lock

I had 2 VZW Moto Xs and they rocked. About 10 days ago I switched to TMO Moto Xs and the GPS loses lock on both of them. Much like the first set, they get lock very quickly, but both the TMO units acted strangely during nav and when I installed GPS Status I see that the GPS gets lock, the coordinates are displayed, then about 10 sec later it searches for lock again, the coordinates aren't returned, and then it relocks.

This causes a real usability issue when it comes to navigation. If it was one of these I'd think I had a dud, but the VZW units worked fine and the TMO units both have this bug.

Has anyone seen similar issues?

Sent from my XT1053 using xda app-developers app

fat_boyy21
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I use gps daily and i've only come across an issue with it 2x when i went to New York City. basically, it was putting my location all over the map, as if it couldnt find me. Im guessing the high rise buildings had something to do with it.

as far as gps losing lock, I have notice that as well. I never toggle it off and yet I have to turn it maybe once/twice a month

monorailmedic
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
The lock problem I have is pretty continuous, and restarting doesn't seem to help. Wondering I'd there was a bad run somehow.

chillmeow
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I also encountered this issue.
I reset the phone and it went back normal; however, it occasionally still acts weird. I'm on tmobile as well.

Hope someone can figure this out

Solutions Etcetera
Old
Thanks Meter 162
For those of you seeing this issue, when it pops up, go into settings > location and see if you see LocationServices listed twice... One with a size of 120k, and the other 136k.

monorailmedic
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
For those of you seeing this issue, when it pops up, go into settings > location and see if you see LocationServices listed twice... One with a size of 120k, and the other 136k.
As a matter of fact I do see this. Any idea what might be going on?

Solutions Etcetera
Old
Thanks Meter 162
Not yet... but it seems out of place.

My history with GPS "not quite working" was about it being extremely hit and miss about detecting me driving. When this would happen, I'd notice problems with Maps as well.

After a factory reset, it all worked fine. But as soon as I reinstalled Yelp, the issue returned. I'm not certain that yelp is the culprit as in hindsight, I really didn't confirm proper operation after the reset for a long enough period of time given the intermittent nature of the problem.

Next step is to try and determine if two of these same processes is normal, and if not, which one doesn't belong, and where it's coming from. There is a thread in the Moto forums I started. One person there who sees only one occurrence of the process stated his is 120k in size. One of my posts also has a list of all my third party apps that use location services. It would be helpful to know which apps are in common with folks having this issue. The thread is at:

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/8a2bf78f04?page=1

omygod711
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by monorailmedic View Post
I had 2 VZW Moto Xs and they rocked. About 10 days ago I switched to TMO Moto Xs and the GPS loses lock on both of them. Much like the first set, they get lock very quickly, but both the TMO units acted strangely during nav and when I installed GPS Status I see that the GPS gets lock, the coordinates are displayed, then about 10 sec later it searches for lock again, the coordinates aren't returned, and then it relocks.

This causes a real usability issue when it comes to navigation. If it was one of these I'd think I had a dud, but the VZW units worked fine and the TMO units both have this bug.

Has anyone seen similar issues?

So you are saying this can be software issue? I have a T-Mobile Moto X and I use the phone mostly for Navigation and this is driving me crazy. I am thinking that my phone is defective and been on the phone for 30+ min trying to get support.

x2h
Old
Thanks Meter 38
I have the same issue

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

monorailmedic
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
Not yet... but it seems out of place.

My history with GPS "not quite working" was about it being extremely hit and miss about detecting me driving. When this would happen, I'd notice problems with Maps as well.

After a factory reset, it all worked fine. But as soon as I reinstalled Yelp, the issue returned. I'm not certain that yelp is the culprit as in hindsight, I really didn't confirm proper operation after the reset for a long enough period of time given the intermittent nature of the problem.

Next step is to try and determine if two of these same processes is normal, and if not, which one doesn't belong, and where it's coming from. There is a thread in the Moto forums I started. One person there who sees only one occurrence of the process stated his is 120k in size. One of my posts also has a list of all my third party apps that use location services. It would be helpful to know which apps are in common with folks having this issue. The thread is at:

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/8a2bf78f04?page=1
I went ahead and posted my situation to https://forums.motorola.com/posts/8a...=755612#755612. There are no apps in common with all three devices (yours, mine, my wife's). The quest continues.