[Q] Stock rooted with TWRP. Any way to OTA to 4.4.2 without losing data?

Search This thread

NightThyme

Jan 5, 2014
OK. So if I am understanding you correctly. I boot the phone into fast boot. Then type your reboot bootloader cmd.
No. If you boot into bootloader mode, adb commands don't work.

There are 2 ways to boot into bootloader mode:

1) power down your phone;
2) hold the volume down and power buttons for about 3 seconds; and
3) release.

or

1) with your phone booted normally (i.e., into system) and with USB debugging enabled, connect your phone to your PC via USB cable;
2) open a command prompt;
3) change directory to where adb.exe is (/sdk/platform-tools); and
4) type adb reboot bootloader.

robwege

Jul 1, 2010
No. If you boot into bootloader mode, adb commands don't work.

There are 2 ways to boot into bootloader mode:

1) power down your phone;
2) hold the volume down and power buttons for about 3 seconds; and
3) release.

or

1) with your phone booted normally (i.e., into system) and with USB debugging enabled, connect your phone to your PC via USB cable;
2) open a command prompt;
3) change directory to where adb.exe is (/sdk/platform-tools); and
4) type adb reboot bootloader.

Ok. Let's try this one more time. I do either of your methods to get into the boot loader and then start at step 5 again and follow the steps exactly. Correct?

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

NightThyme

Jan 5, 2014
If I wanted to go back to stock from an aosp based ROM could I use the mfastboot recovery and system method or do I ha e to rsd.... I'm unlocked btw
as long as you are certain that the only things that aren't stock on your phone are in /system and /recovery, then yes. If the kernel (/boot) or the modems have been modded, I would use RSD Lite and flash everything back to stock just to be safe.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

Ok. Let's try this one more time. I do either of your methods to get into the boot loader and then start at step 5 again and follow the steps exactly. Correct?
No. My methods ARE step 5. So after you do either one of my methods, then you start at step 6.

Reactions: cartmenicus

robwege

Jul 1, 2010
as long as you are certain that the only things that aren't stock on your phone are in /system and /recovery, then yes. If the kernel (/boot) or the modems have been modded, I would use RSD Lite and flash everything back to stock just to be safe.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

No. My methods ARE step 5. So after you do either one of my methods, then you start at step 6.

Ok. That is what I meant. My bad. I will be trying this when I get home. I will let you know how it goes.

NightThyme

Jan 5, 2014
Ok. That is what I meant. My bad. I will be trying this when I get home. I will let you know how it goes.

and if you use the second method to get into bootloader mode (i.e., adb command), then you already will have your command prompt open and would be in the directory where adb and fastboot are, which is step 6, and so you would then do step 7.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schaweet

robwege

Jul 1, 2010

ok, so I used your second method of getting to the bootloader, i then typed the command from step 7 exactly as it is printed and it just says waiting for device and hangs there. any suggestions?

cartmenicus

Nov 27, 2011
British columbia

sweet thanks! well they might have been since i did flash carbon rom? damn i hate using rsd lol

Mickoou

Feb 20, 2013
Recovery tool

Recovery tool worked on moto x De for me. I was on 4.4 rooted with Twrp, it flashed stock recovery. Took ota 4.2.2 & IT flashed twrp back. kept all my stuff and root
Put recovery img from 4.4 & Twrp img on ur Sd card& flash with Recovery tool.
No need for a computer.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2334554

Last edited:

cartmenicus

Nov 27, 2011
British columbia
Recovery tool worked on moto x De for me. I was on 4.4 rooted with Twrp, it flashed stock recovery. Took ota 4.2.2 & IT flashed twrp back. kept all my stuff and root

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2334554

I'm gonna try it right now..… the plan is flash stock recovery then once that's done just take the ota and I'm thinking that will overwrite all the cm/aosp stuff and I'm good to
Edit after flashing the stock recover I no longer have WiFi damn

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

robwege

Jul 1, 2010
ok, so I used your second method of getting to the bootloader, i then typed the command from step 7 exactly as it is printed and it just says waiting for device and hangs there. any suggestions?

ok, i got it. Apparently I was using an old directory with outdated files from an old phone. I sincerely appreciate your help on this NightThyme. Can you please send me your paypal address or PM me with it. I would like to buy you a coffee for all your help on this.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

If you do my method with all the numbered steps, you don't have to mess with all the unfreezing and stuff. Flashing system.img overwrites all those changes for you.

Sent from my Dev Edition Moto X

ok, i got it. I sincerely appreciate your help on this Schaweet. Can you please send me your paypal address or PM me with it. I would like to buy you a coffee as well for all your help on this.

Schaweet

Aug 2, 2010
ok, i got it. Apparently I was using an old directory with outdated files from an old phone. I sincerely appreciate your help on this NightThyme. Can you please send me your paypal address or PM me with it. I would like to buy you a coffee for all your help on this.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

ok, i got it. I sincerely appreciate your help on this Schaweet. Can you please send me your paypal address or PM me with it. I would like to buy you a coffee as well for all your help on this.

No worries man, it's on me. Glad to see you are up and running with 4.4.2. I know some people get all pissy on here, but we are all here to help each other in the end. I had to learn it from someone as well.

Enjoy!

robwege

Jul 1, 2010
No worries man, it's on me. Glad to see you are up and running with 4.4.2. I know some people get all pissy on here, but we are all here to help each other in the end. I had to learn it from someone as well.

Enjoy!

I could not agree more. XDA is a great environment and can be extremely helpful. Thanks again.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

Enjoy!

one more thing, i went to reinstall xposed and it installed but when i go to active it/update it, it just force closes, any suggestions?

Schaweet

Aug 2, 2010
I could not agree more. XDA is a great environment and can be extremely helpful. Thanks again.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

one more thing, i went to reinstall xposed and it installed but when i go to active it/update it, it just force closes, any suggestions?

That's weird. Maybe run the Uninstall from within the app and then reinstall it? Didn't happen for me so I'm not sure.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Enjoy!

Enjoy!

I am on a vzw dev edition. I have rooted and have twrp installed. I changed the boot animation and installed xposed. If I undo those 2 things does some have a step by step process for getting back to stock and taking the ota and then re installing twrp and rooting. I would greatly appreciate it.

This is what I did.

1. Download 4.4 stock files from Motorola (you need to request access and they will email you the link)
    2. Extract recovery.img and system.img from the stock image and place them in your platform tools folder ( or where fastboot and adb are located)
    3. Update your SDK if it is out of date.
    4. Download and put mfastboot in your platform tools folder (or where fastboot and adb are within your sdk directory)
    5. Boot phone into fastboot mode
    6. open a command prompt and change directory to your platform-tools folder and type the following (7 & 8)
    7. fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    8. mfastboot flash system system.img
    9. Reboot
    10. Accept and install OTA
    11. Reboot into fastboot mode
    12. Reflash TWRP and root phone.
    13. Reboot
    14. Open Xposed and reinstall framework
    15. Reboot

You would be good to go at that point. You would still need to reinstall your logo as it would be reset

If you already unlocked your phone and didn't change anything, you shouldn't have much trouble with the commands
    If you do my method with all the numbered steps, you don't have to mess with all the unfreezing and stuff. Flashing system.img overwrites all those changes for you.

If I wanted to go back to stock from an aosp based ROM could I use the mfastboot recovery and system method or do I ha e to rsd.... I'm unlocked btw

But, if you have OTA updater frozen, be sure to unfreeze that one at least.

DB's Moto X