XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

A really stupid question...

Tip us?

jideay
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default A really stupid question...

Why can't those of us who have locked phones just flash the developer's edition OS? By the time I learned of the Developer's edition phone, I had already passed my 14 business days return of my phone. The long root process is a bit much for me... If there is no other way, I'll give it a try though...

Exel
Old
Thanks Meter 1302
I'm not exactly sure how Motorola's bootloader works, but I'm pretty sure the Developer Edition is signed with different keys and will possibly be a different size. Motorola's bootloader I'm sure checks these things and will deny it.

The bootloader is not part of the OS, it's a different thing all on its own.

It really does seem as simple as you said OP but there's been plenty of phones with locked bootloaders, if it was as simple as that, there wouldn't need to be SafeStrap and other bypasses / exploits.
||Phone: Google Nexus 5 (Hammerhead)
||Additional Memory: None
||ROM: Android 4.4 KitKat
||Kernel: Nexus 5 Faux Kernel

Tablet: ASUS Nexus 7 16GB||
Additional Memory: None||
ROM: CM10.2 Nightlies||
Kernel: Stock Tweaked||

fury683
Old
Thanks Meter 47

DONATE TO ME
If you haven't looked at JCase's new SlapMyMoto 1.0 root method, it is more simple than the previous versions. It still requires going back to 4.2.2 camera OTA and losing all your data, but some of the ADB/Fastboot steps were removed and simplified, from what I've seen.
furyť™ - not helping the situation since 1987
Enable Moto X LED Charging Indicator (without Tasker)
Current Device: VZW MM Moto X, Woven Black, Black, Black | Previous: Droid Razr Maxx, Droid X

jideay
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
OK after a lot of sweat, I was able to get back to 4.2.2. How do I know if I have the camera patch?

fury683
Old
Thanks Meter 47

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jideay View Post
OK after a lot of sweat, I was able to get back to 4.2.2. How do I know if I have the camera patch?
If you followed the instructions in the root guide and used the proper SBF to get back to 4.2.2, you should have the update. It links directly to the correct SBF for the root process.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2538896
Current Device: VZW MM Moto X, Woven Black, Black, Black | Previous: Droid Razr Maxx, Droid X

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 365
Quote:
Why can't those of us who have locked phones just flash the developer's edition OS? By the time I learned of the Developer's edition phone, I had already passed my 14 business days return of my phone. The long root process is a bit much for me... If there is no other way, I'll give it a try though...
Depending on the model of you phone you can flash the developer edition rom,

XT1060, Verizon Retail, Moto Maker or Developer edition can flash the same Developer Edition recovery images direct from Moto's web site.

XT1053, GSM Developer or T-Mobile USA can use the GSM Developer recovery images direct from Moto's web site.

BUT this won't impact your ability to unlock your phone's bootloader.

(If you don't believe me that the rom is the same, Do a FC /B of all files contained inside the developer edition recovery images requested from Moto's web site with those inside the roms/images downloaded from http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0 and you will see other than the XML, all files are identical. And the XML just tells RSDLite what to flash. Also when you request the GSM Developer Edition recovery files, you get a file named.. TMO_RETAIL_XT1053_4.4-13.11.1Q2.X-69-3_MR2_1FF.xml.zip )

jideay
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Well, after a day and half of sweating, and a few hours there where I thought I bricked it, it's rooted on 4.4. I have rooted every android phone I've ever had, and this was by far the hardest... But i'm really happy with it. Got the wifi tether going and life is good. Thanks everyone for your replies...

fury683
Old
Thanks Meter 47

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Well, after a day and half of sweating, and a few hours there where I thought I bricked it, it's rooted on 4.4. I have rooted every android phone I've ever had, and this was by far the hardest... But i'm really happy with it. Got the wifi tether going and life is good. Thanks everyone for your replies...
This was surely the most involved root I've done. I think it's partially because I got this phone much close to launch than my previous devices. They all had one click root methods available by the time I tried.

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by fury683 View Post
This was surely the most involved root I've done. I think it's partially because I got this phone much close to launch than my previous devices. They all had one click root methods available by the time I tried.
True the X hasn't been out long, and to complicate that more, 3 roms have been there for it... release, first OTA with camera fix, and Kit Kat...

Combine that with newer phones being harder to root... and yeah, one click root method isn't a reality at this point.