Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,159 Members 46,341 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Swapping nandroid from one Moto X VZW Dev Ed to another

Tip us?
 
etc6849
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 33
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default [Q] Swapping nandroid from one Moto X VZW Dev Ed to another

So, I am a new happy owner of the Moto X VZW Dev Ed. However, Motorola was having a sale last week and said they couldn't give me a price match, but that I could reorder and ship back the other one (which is what I did).

Problem is, I've already updated the first one (I think there were three OTA updates I installed), unlocked and rooted it. Then installed a bunch of stuff, disabled a lot of stuff, etc... I really don't want to do this twice!

My question is if I make a nandroid backup using TWRP (with all options turned on), what is the minimal amount of work I'd have to do to transfer everything to the new phone?

I guess since nandroid backups do not include firmware, it's safest to complete the OTA updates on the replacement phone (unless I know for sure there were no firmware updates installed), unlock, root and lastly restore from the nandroid of the old phone?
Advanced FREE home automation software called Premise: wiki Premise Support Forum: www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showforum=51
Home Automation Install Pics. Open-source VRC0P (Z-Wave) driver: code.google.com/p/zwave-driver-for-premise/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2FViziaRF
 
aviwdoowks
Old
(Last edited by aviwdoowks; 4th May 2014 at 09:29 PM.)
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 439
Posts: 2,211
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post
So, I am a new happy owner of the Moto X VZW Dev Ed. However, Motorola was having a sale last week and said they couldn't give me a price match, but that I could reorder and ship back the other one (which is what I did).

Problem is, I've already updated the first one (I think there were three OTA updates I installed), unlocked and rooted it. Then installed a bunch of stuff, disabled a lot of stuff, etc... I really don't want to do this twice!

My question is if I make a nandroid backup using TWRP (with all options turned on), what is the minimal amount of work I'd have to do to transfer everything to the new phone?

I guess since nandroid backups do not include firmware, it's safest to complete the OTA updates on the replacement phone (unless I know for sure there were no firmware updates installed), unlock, root and lastly restore from the nandroid of the old phone?
I would use Philz @hachamacha edition. See the RAZR HD section. If an OTA is needed YES do it first.
The problem is the data partition not the system. Due to your ESN and such.
Hachamacha may help you with some issues.
He is about to do a unified build to include his new X!

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

He just posted the unified
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0&postcount=78
I am Maxx'ed, X + 1/2
Moto X, Ultra, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF
 
-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7.
 
etc6849
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 33
Join Date: Mar 2010
Thanks, the ESN/IMEI is normally stored in the radio's firmware? Or are you saying there's some file somewhere that also contains that data?
Advanced FREE home automation software called Premise: wiki Premise Support Forum: www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showforum=51
Home Automation Install Pics. Open-source VRC0P (Z-Wave) driver: code.google.com/p/zwave-driver-for-premise/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2FViziaRF
 
aviwdoowks
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 439
Posts: 2,211
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post
Thanks, the ESN/IMEI is normally stored in the radio's firmware? Or are you saying there's some file somewhere that also contains that data?
Right data contains phone data. But you may find a way to patch those IDs. Not via *228, as that is for 3g only. Try a complete restore & if you have to wipe data you can.
I do not know what happens when data is loaded from another phone.
I am Maxx'ed, X + 1/2
Moto X, Ultra, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF
 
-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7.
 
hachamacha
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 315
Posts: 570
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviwdoowks View Post
I would use Philz @hachamacha edition. See the RAZR HD section. If an OTA is needed YES do it first.
The problem is the data partition not the system. Due to your ESN and such.
Hachamacha may help you with some issues.
He is about to do a unified build to include his new X!

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

He just posted the unified
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0&postcount=78
Hi aviwdoowks,

I haven't yet posted anything but an intention to post something (how convoluted is that?) ;;) I have some builds that're up to date, unified, etc, for the *dt versions, but since I can't test until I get one, I hate to dump it on people. If someone doesn't care, then PM me. I'll be around for a few hours today and tomorrow to respond. Just make sure you tell me what device you've got since I just started dev for about 9 or 10 devices today.

Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to hachamacha For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
aviwdoowks
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 439
Posts: 2,211
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hachamacha View Post
Hi aviwdoowks,

I haven't yet posted anything but an intention to post something (how convoluted is that?) ; I have some builds that're up to date, unified, etc, for the *dt versions, but since I can't test until I get one, I hate to dump it on people. If someone doesn't care, then PM me. I'll be around for a few hours today and tomorrow to respond. Just make sure you tell me what device you've got since I just started dev for about 9 or 10 devices today.

Cheers.
I cannot get multi quote to work.
What do you think of the Op's restore question.
I thought you might come up with a way to restore data to a different X phone.
I am Maxx'ed, X + 1/2
Moto X, Ultra, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF
 
-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7.
 
hachamacha
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 315
Posts: 570
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviwdoowks View Post
I cannot get multi quote to work.
What do you think of the Op's restore question.
I thought you might come up with a way to restore data to a different X phone.
Near as I can see (and I just tried multi-q for the first time), it is a myth ;) I copied the original question down below and will look and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post
So, I am a new happy owner of the Moto X VZW Dev Ed. However, Motorola was having a sale last week and said they couldn't give me a price match, but that I could reorder and ship back the other one (which is what I did).

Problem is, I've already updated the first one (I think there were three OTA updates I installed), unlocked and rooted it. Then installed a bunch of stuff, disabled a lot of stuff, etc... I really don't want to do this twice!

My question is if I make a nandroid backup using TWRP (with all options turned on), what is the minimal amount of work I'd have to do to transfer everything to the new phone?

I guess since nandroid backups do not include firmware, it's safest to complete the OTA updates on the replacement phone (unless I know for sure there were no firmware updates installed), unlock, root and lastly restore from the nandroid of the old phone?
Not sure I'm understanding. Was the first phone not a DE, rather an xt1060 or something like that? If so, which model was it? I'm also awaiting (few days) delivery of my first Moto X DE but have had no other one. Any factory unlockable phone I've had in the past is returned to a somewhat blank condition (/system and /data) as soon as you either a) lock or b) unlock using the Moto website so you'll of course, have to do that much and then slap on SuperSU (or whatever you like for root), busybox, etc.

Minimal amount of work? Stick to one recovery type because making backups is easy. If you want to use TWRP (which is a good recovery) to restore to the new phone, then do it. The easiest part of everything is changing recoveries once unlocked and rooted and you "KNOW" that TWRP can restore TWRP. Yes, Philz Touch can also restore TWRP, but when we build for phones new to us, sometimes, the git is in a state where maybe something isn't working, so why bother taking a chance on wasting all that time.

I've got Philz Touch latest version built for the msm8960dt (the motos/ultra/maxx/and others) but haven't looked into it since I've got no phone yet. My other possible suggestion would be to switch to Philz Touch as soon as I put up a pointer on it (or use an older one if you get your phone before). Stick it on your phone and make a new backup in CWM/Philz format. I'll go through the code and enable the /persist partition so you can get a backup of that. When you get the new DE, goto website, unlock, (which will probably just git rid of /data and /system), and if you want the least amount of guessing what is needed and not needed , just install the DE 4.4.2 image from the site so you'll have the firmware that is desired for that model phone. (radio and /firmware / persist stuff). Then boot to recovery and do the restore of the usual partitions. Use the .xml file in the .zip to figure out the order of the partition flashing for /firmware and radios and any other bits you want to flash. I would just create a batch file with 'fastboot flash 'partitionname' '{name}.img' statements in the exact order as in the .XML file and run it.

I don't know which (if anything but stock) ROM you've used and I'm not sure it matters which flavor it is, but it matters which version it was built from on the Moto so be sure it's apples to apples, since most the ROMs I've looked at seem to require the kernel from whatever was installed before. (the /lib/modules are also built to match that kernel as well and are a part of the /system of that ROM).

Everytime I've gone into a new phone situation and decided I was going to get away with a nandroid restore and voila ;) , it always takes a bit of touch-up work, so pick one recovery, make the backups doing it, and do the restores to the DE using it rather than adding yet another variable. I can't think of one situation where I didn't have to at least use say Titanium Backup to restore the apps (I don't bother with data) because things rarely work out the same way. The other not-so-intuitive thing is that moving things from one phone to another (especially a nonDE to a DE) often bring up a new issue or more so expect to have to do a bit of work. Just be sure to make a good copy of the /sdcard/.. stuff that you need to keep (TitaniumBackup), and other data you need that nandroids don't care about, and back it up to your PC using adb. After you unlock, you can copy it to the target phone, and try the recovery. I really like Philz and I like TWRP as well, but I'd never tell someone they could move for sure from one phone to another without any problem. Best bet is using same recovery type on both ends though. Don't restore /persist or /firmware unless you're certain it's wiped. I mean that 4.4.2 image (.xml.zip) from the website has all the firmware you really want in it at it takes about 2 simple statements from adb to get it on the phone. That's pretty easy. Also, you never know. Might get lucky and a nandroid could be all you need but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to hachamacha For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
nandroid phone replacement
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Make a Pre-Rooted Stock Sony ROMs in Just Few Clicks

Many usersdon’t see any particular reason to change out the stock firmware … more

Add Timestamps to Xposed Installer Logs with… Xposed!

If talking about the most interesting projects in the last few years, we must … more

Secrecy Goes Open Source, Assures File Encryption

As some of you may remember, a while back we spoke about Secrecy, an effective file … more

[APK] Google News and Weather Gets Material Design Makeover, Minor Maps Updates

Although Google has somewhat gotten out of the habit of their … more