Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Taking 4.4.4 OTA

OP chalocesped

27th August 2014, 02:13 AM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
OTA 4.4
Do you have to go back to stock recovery if you're using TWRP recovery? Or is there a way to apply the update while using TWRP? I downloaded the update, told it to install and it rebooted to TWRP. The only zip I found was the old update under cache. Is there a way to do this or where do I find the newly downloaded file to install?

When I couldn't find the file I just rebooted. After booting up the phone attempted to reboot and install about 3 or 4 times before saying unsuccessful and operating normally.
27th August 2014, 02:21 AM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 1,790

2,029 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKil9

Do you have to go back to stock recovery if you're using TWRP recovery? Or is there a way to apply the update while using TWRP? I downloaded the update, told it to install and it rebooted to TWRP. The only zip I found was the old update under cache. Is there a way to do this or where do I find the newly downloaded file to install?

When I couldn't find the file I just rebooted. After booting up the phone attempted to reboot and install about 3 or 4 times before saying unsuccessful and operating normally.

You have to use stock recovery.... Just flash TWRP back on afterwards.
The Following User Says Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th August 2014, 03:34 AM   |  #13  
Flag Redding
Thanks Meter: 10

141 posts
Donate to Me
More
Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
Last edited by superp32; 27th August 2014 at 03:50 AM.
27th August 2014, 03:46 AM   |  #14  

2,029 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by superp32

Could it be because he downgraded from 4.4.3

Who downgraded? The OP doesn't appear to have downgraded - he only flashed the stock recovery from 4.4.2 (which is the same as the 4.4.3 stock recovery). I'm confused.
27th August 2014, 03:49 AM   |  #15  
Flag Redding
Thanks Meter: 10

141 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat

Who downgraded? The OP doesn't appear to have downgraded - he only flashed the stock recovery from 4.4.2 (which is the same as the 4.4.3 stock recovery). I'm confused.

I am in the process of deleting it I didn't see your post about them being the same. He has to have an unlocked bootloader to have twrp correct?

27th August 2014, 03:53 AM   |  #16  

2,029 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by superp32

I am in the process of deleting it I didn't see your post about them being the same. He has to have an unlocked bootloader to have twrp correct?

Yup, although safestrap recovery (for locked bootloaders) is based on TWRP, it isn't the same. So at least he will be able to root again afterwards. Being unlocked doesn't affect the ability to take an OTA though. I've seen some people confused about that and tell people that they need to re-lock before taking an OTA. This is NOT the case. Stock recovery is required though.

Don't want to confuse anybody though. Just ignore the above. All that really matters is you must have stock recovery and no significant modifications to /system (no Xposed, etc.).
The Following User Says Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th August 2014, 04:02 AM   |  #17  
Flag Harrisburg
Thanks Meter: 1

130 posts
More
I'm on 4.4.2 for Sprint, i got the update to install 4.4.4, after reading this thread and the guide to flash OTA i see I have to return to stock recovery. My question is in the guide it says '' if you have at any point of time flashed any 4.4.2 firmware along with the boot loader 30.B3 or 30.B4
DO NOT FLASH THE OTA, YOU WILL HAVE A HARD BRICKED MOTO''...... my bootloader says 30.B4 , so should i take the OTA?
27th August 2014, 04:09 AM   |  #18  

2,029 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds28heem

I'm on 4.4.2 for Sprint, i got the update to install 4.4.4, after reading this thread and the guide to flash OTA i see I have to return to stock recovery. My question is in the guide it says '' if you have at any point of time flashed any 4.4.2 firmware along with the boot loader 30.B3 or 30.B4
DO NOT FLASH THE OTA, YOU WILL HAVE A HARD BRICKED MOTO''...... my bootloader says 30.B4 , so should i take the OTA?

Hmm I'm thinking that what you read might have been for another variant....I'm not familiar with the bootloader version.

Regardless, if you are concerned, you are completely safe to flash the ENTIRE stock 4.4.2 SBF, then you can SAFELY take the 4.4.4 OTA with no risk. And if you take the OTA immediately after flashing the entire SBF, you'll already have stock recovery and you can just flash TWRP and re-root AFTER you are on 4.4.4.

(The above instructions ONLY apply to the Sprint variant. Not any of the variants that received 4.4.3.)
27th August 2014, 04:24 AM   |  #19  
Flag Harrisburg
Thanks Meter: 1

130 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat

Hmm I'm thinking that what you read might have been for another variant....I'm not familiar with the bootloader version.

Regardless, if you are concerned, you are completely safe to flash the ENTIRE stock 4.4.2 SBF, then you can SAFELY take the 4.4.4 OTA with no risk. And if you take the OTA immediately after flashing the entire SBF, you'll already have stock recovery and you can just flash TWRP and re-root AFTER you are on 4.4.4.

(The above instructions ONLY apply to the Sprint variant. Not any of the variants that received 4.4.3.)

Yeah that's what i was planning on doing completely flashing to stock then taking the OTA, just wanted to make sure I dont brick my phone

Problem, im trying flash stock but i keep getting this.

(bootloader) Variable not supported!
target max-download-size: 768MB
Multi-Flash is enabled!
load_file: could not allocate 907079228 bytes
error: cannot load 'system.img': Not enough space
Last edited by reds28heem; 27th August 2014 at 04:43 AM.
27th August 2014, 01:35 PM   |  #20  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 955

2,271 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds28heem

Yeah that's what i was planning on doing completely flashing to stock then taking the OTA, just wanted to make sure I dont brick my phone

Problem, im trying flash stock but i keep getting this.

(bootloader) Variable not supported!
target max-download-size: 768MB
Multi-Flash is enabled!
load_file: could not allocate 907079228 bytes
error: cannot load 'system.img': Not enough space

System.img is too big for the standard Fastboot.exe included in the Android SDK/PlatformTools. You must use the Moto tweaked fastboot (aka mfastboot) -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/X-STUFF/mfastboot-442.zip

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread