Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,998 Members 39,148 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Thinking about getting Moto X

Tip us?

ohiojosh78
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Thinking about getting Moto X

I currently have a Nexus 5 and compared to a friends Moto X my screen isn't nearly as nice and the speaker is horrendous. I'm thinking about reactivating my Verizon unlimited data account and using a developer edition Moto X on it but I have some questions.

1. Who updates the Dev. Edition Moto X, Verizon or Motorola?
2. Will my Google Wallet app work like it does now with my Nexus 5 and allow NFC purchases at "Tap to Pay" stores or does verizon block that even on dev phones?
3. A bit off forum but if I use Google Voice texting, can I delete my $30 texting package on Verizon? I heard GV texting uses data only.

Thanks guys n gals!

nhizzat
Old
Thanks Meter 75
1. Verizon
2. Yes, works on non-dev phones too
3. Sure, why not?

eksasol
Old
(Last edited by eksasol; 14th March 2014 at 12:01 PM.)
Thanks Meter 700
If you don't install custom roms, don't mind the slightly lower quality camera, and willing to sacrifice some performance especially in 3D gaming, then the Moto X may work for you. I think if you get the Moto X be intended to use stock firmware because it isn't as flexible as Nexus. The Moto X will have better battery life than the Nexus, I usually get 5 hours screen on time.

sent via tapatalk

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,489
While I continue to say that my, wife's now, Moto x is the superior phone overall....especially for those that just want a great working phone....and aren't flashaholics......I must say, I was fearful of the battery life drop switching to the N5....but after some usual tweaking.....I'm allllllmost matching my Moto x battery times. 26 hour average with 6 hour screen time. I was surprised for sure after things I read.

Sent from my N5 cell phone telephone....
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life? Any device welcome, even tho its an N5 thread. Please specify if on a device other than N5. Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

gubshi
Old
Thanks Meter 33
I traded my N5 for a Moto X.

I like the AMOLED of the X more, the speaker and even the vibration. Touchless controls is nice, but the real killer feature is ActiveNotificatons. It's more than fast enough.

I recommend a trade

ohiojosh78
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhizzat View Post
1. Verizon
Sorry that killed it right there. Thanks for the replies!

hovax615@hotmail.com
Old
Thanks Meter 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiojosh78 View Post
Sorry that killed it right there. Thanks for the replies!
Actually Verizon was quick to release the 4.4.2 update right after T-Mobile so that was quick. On the other hand we on at&t are still waiting on the 4.4.2 update with some people that got invites for soak tests but yet to receive them yet.

Sent from my XT1058 using xda premium