Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,908 Members 53,802 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Issues With Installing Busybox

Tip us?

kiasta
Old
(Last edited by kiasta; 15th March 2014 at 12:35 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Issues With Installing Busybox

I've tried using the app from the android store, I even was able to install it through that by mounting /xbin using root explorer and then installing it. The problem with that is when I reboot my phone busybox is no longer installed. So I figure I can install it manually using the adb tools but therein lies the problem. I cannot execute the busybox binary from the data folder. These are my steps to trying:

Code:
adb shell
su
cd /data/local
mkdir busybox
exit
adb push busybox /data/local/busybox
adb shell
su
cd /data/local
chmod 755 busybox
cd /data/local/busybox
./busybox
sh: ./busybox: can't execute: Permission denied
And here I am stuck... btw the binary I downloaded was here: busybox dot net/downloads/binaries/latest/ (under 10 posts cant post links for some reason...) And I downloaded the armv71, which I'm assuming is the right architecture for the moto x. Maybe it's wrong but since the moto x uses a custom architecture, I have no idea what binary to use. Anyways any suggestions would be appreciated.

imnuts
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2958

DONATE TO ME
Well, you're trying to cd to the file rather than the directory containing the file. Not sure if that's the issue or not, but it surely isn't helping.
Setup a Development Environment
Setup and Use the Android SDK
Stock Odin Restore files

You can find the answer to all of your questions right here. If that doesn't work, then try this or this

weldawadyathink
Old
Thanks Meter 31
You have not turned write protect off. Run motowpnomo

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

kiasta
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Problem was that I was chmodding the directory instead of the binary also I was missing arguments and the directory of installation. (had to mount system as root as well).

Well I was able to get it to install but the problem is the write protection, when I reboot my phone all the files that were in the /system/xbin directory were gone. Unfortunately that program no longer exists, all links point to a "Page Not Found" page. I would rather not download it from an unofficial source so I'm sol unless I can install it through recovery but I have no idea how to go about doing that and I don't see any instructions.

Thanks for the help guys.