Thinking of switching to Republic Wirelss -- advice?

OP d0g

19th May 2014, 07:40 PM   |  #11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 97

848 posts
Ah ... I see. Bummer. Do you know if the Nexus 5 (straight from Google) is ready to root?
19th May 2014, 07:41 PM   |  #12  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,027

10,008 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0g

Ah ... I see. Bummer. Do you know if the Nexus 5 (straight from Google) is ready to root?

Any nexus 5 can be rooted. Just unlock bootloader and you're off.
The Following User Says Thank You to KJ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th May 2014, 08:06 PM   |  #13  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 97

848 posts
That may be the best for me then ... I don't want to be locked in to anything. thanks!

Is the Nexus 5 both GSM and CDMA? I don't see an option on order form.

Sorry to go off - topic ...
19th May 2014, 08:29 PM   |  #14  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,027

10,008 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0g

That may be the best for me then ... I don't want to be locked in to anything. thanks!

Is the Nexus 5 both GSM and CDMA? I don't see an option on order form.

Sorry to go off - topic ...

You may need to confirm with a google search, but yes.

There's only one north american model of the n5, and it works on most any carrier, except Verizon apparently.

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

I would google "nexus 5 [carrier name]" to see if out works on the specific carrier you want.
19th May 2014, 11:18 PM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 2

12 posts
I've been planning on the Moto X from Republic Wireless. It sounds like from Moto Maker they are coming with 4.4.2, so I can only hope the guy selling codes is still doing so and can unlock mine, otherwise wait and pray they find a way to unlock 4.4.2 on RW..
If not, I hope I can live with a generally stock phone.. It does seem like the Moto X is pretty good all around as it is, so maybe it won't be so bad
20th May 2014, 04:19 AM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 5

30 posts
More
I have used RW for about 2 or 3 months and I am planning to switch to something like T-mobile for various reasons. all the reasons that annoy me enough to switch are somewhat small stuff but that's just me.

the reasons are: no emoji support, no 3rd party texting app supported fully (texting works mms doesn't), slower than the rest software updates (we got our 4.4.2 update, if I'm not mistaken, last), and my biggest annoyance with them is not allowing me to unlock my phone (but I eventually did it anyways).

I also feel like they don't listen to the community as much as they should but they sure as hell listen to it more than a big carrier.

anyways that' just my opinion, I might add a few things to this list if I think of them.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread