Tip us?

TheSaw
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 413

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] TMobile or AT&T (No US)

Hello,

I did some research recently, and this caused a little bit of confusion, so I'll post a quick question:

I'm trying to buy this phone on ebay (since I don't have a US CC card), which one should I get, the T-Mobile or AT&T version?

Requirements:
- to unlock it for Europe GSM
- install CyanogenMod

As of now I was going for the T-Mobile, since I've read it's easier to unlock the bootloader, but now I see that the CM is only for AT&T phones? Or am I mistaking?

Thanks!
GS2 i9100 - CM10.1.3
MotoX [XT1053|32GB|B/WB/B]

scottjb
Old
Thanks Meter 139
It doesn't matter any more. When you purchase from the Moto web site you ask for the GSM version. There is no more differentiation between the T-Mo and AT&T versions. You'll get the XT1053, the former T-Mo version.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

RenSoAbrupt
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjb View Post
It doesn't matter any more. When you purchase from the Moto web site you ask for the GSM version. There is no more differentiation between the T-Mo and AT&T versions. You'll get the XT1053, the former T-Mo version.

Any source confirming this?

Sent from my Moto X

TheSaw
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 413

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

Are you sure about this? Cause if you look it up, everyone is saying that the T-Mobile bootloader can be unlocked, and the AT&T can not.
GS2 i9100 - CM10.1.3
MotoX [XT1053|32GB|B/WB/B]

scottjb
Old
Thanks Meter 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenSoAbrupt View Post
Any source confirming this?

Sent from my Moto X
Yes, me. I bought a T-Mobile Moto X in November and had to choose my carrier. I bought another Moto X last week and there was no carrier selection, I only had to choose between GSM and CDMA. Both times I received an XT1053 with a T-Mobile SIM in it.

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaw View Post
Are you sure about this? Cause if you look it up, everyone is saying that the T-Mobile bootloader can be unlocked, and the AT&T can not.
I have no knowledge of the bootloader situation, only my experience with the purchases as noted above.

The Following User Says Thank You to scottjb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RenSoAbrupt
Old
Thanks Meter 27
As far as AT&T bootloader goes it is still not unlockable. When it will be? Nobody really knows if Motorola is going to add it to its Unlock program.
The Following User Says Thank You to RenSoAbrupt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

larry62
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:

Appears they still technically differentiate between the versions, but are upfront about the T-Mobile version working with either carrier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motomaker.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	2481965  

scottjb
Old
Thanks Meter 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry62 View Post
Appears they still technically differentiate between the versions, but are upfront about the T-Mobile version working with either carrier.
Yes, it does. Looks as if they changed it again. I didn't get that selection panel when I bought one a week ago. I guess you can still get the XT1058 model for AT&T. However, if I were buying one I'm not sure why I would order the AT&T model over the GSM model based on the description. I would get the XT1053 anyway.

larry62
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Yes, it does. Looks as if they changed it again. I didn't get that selection panel when I bought one a week ago. I guess you can still get the XT1058 model for AT&T. However, if I were buying one I'm not sure why I would order the AT&T model over the GSM model based on the description. I would get the XT1053 anyway.
Maybe they were temporarily sold out of the AT&T model? There is some LTE band on the AT&T model not available on the XT1053, but if I remember that band isn't used currently by AT&T in the USA anyways. People might also want all that wonderful added value bloatware software not on the XT1053 and have the inconvenience safety of a locked SIM.

scottjb
Old
Thanks Meter 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry62 View Post
...People might also want all that wonderful added value bloatware software not on the XT1053 and have the inconvenience safety of a locked SIM.
Hmm...good points. :/ I'll take my chances without the software and lock.

Tags
at&t, cyanogenmod, motox, tmo