Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,756 Members 41,551 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Another way to get 4.4.2?

Tip us?

varxx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Default [Q] Another way to get 4.4.2?

Question: Rather than incrementally update from 4.4 to 4.4.2 by OTA, can I just wait until the full 4.4.2 image is available and flash the full image?

I see a nice list of firmwares here, for example:

http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0

I'm reluctant to do the update incrementally via OTA or manually, because I don't want to revert from TWRP to stock recovery. As things stand, I believe have a non-stock recovery is preventing me from receiving the OTA that TMobile is currently rolling out.

I have a DevEd GSM and am using TMobile. I'm entirely stock except for TWRP.

Thanks.

Groid
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Once the US TMobile is available for 4.4.2 you should be able to fastboot (or mfastboot for the system.img) flash the update without losing your recovery. I'm sure someone will post specific steps to update unlocked bootloader, custom recovery phones once the 4.4.2 image is released. I have seen posts warning about not flashing the boot image because it can't be reverted, but I don't know if that affects phones with an unlocked bootloader.

mastarifla
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groid View Post
Once the US TMobile is available for 4.4.2 you should be able to fastboot (or mfastboot for the system.img) flash the update without losing your recovery. I'm sure someone will post specific steps to update unlocked bootloader, custom recovery phones once the 4.4.2 image is released. I have seen posts warning about not flashing the boot image because it can't be reverted, but I don't know if that affects phones with an unlocked bootloader.
It does affect the unlocked bootloader people, that is why some people are waiting for the sbf. If you update via the OTA, it will install the new bootloader, regardless of lock status. Once on this new 4.4.2 bootloader, it is impossible to flash any stock images before 4.4.2 (you cannot go back to 4.4 or 4.4.2).

But why would you want to go back if you have an unlocked bootloader already? I don't really see any reason to flash an image that is earlier than the latest... if I were Moto, I would let people flash the earliest system image of that version of android (4.4 kitkat in our case). This would rectify the root situation (because 4.2.2 isn't kitkat), and it would keep the people happy as well.
LG PM-225 > LG Muziq > Epic 4G > Nexus S 4G > HTC EVO 4G LTE > Galaxy S3 > Nexus 4 > Galaxy S4 > Nexus 5 > Moto X

flashallthetime
Old
(Last edited by flashallthetime; 7th February 2014 at 05:36 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1286
Quote:
Originally Posted by varxx View Post
Question: Rather than incrementally update from 4.4 to 4.4.2 by OTA, can I just wait until the full 4.4.2 image is available and flash the full image?

I see a nice list of firmwares here, for example:

http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0

I'm reluctant to do the update incrementally via OTA or manually, because I don't want to revert from TWRP to stock recovery. As things stand, I believe have a non-stock recovery is preventing me from receiving the OTA that TMobile is currently rolling out.

I have a DevEd GSM and am using TMobile. I'm entirely stock except for TWRP.

Thanks.
You absolutely can manually flash the system image while having the 4.4 bootloader, you can also flash any 4.4.2 stock based ROM such as the 1052 European ROM that showed up today.
I was actually running the gummy ROM 4.4.2 while still on the 4.4 bootloader without any issue

Sent on my Gummy running Lenoto X
]Dr EVIL EVO HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
Don"t ask me for help,couldn't careless if your phone explodes