Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,812 Members 49,643 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Way to enable MHL (HDMI out) Cable support?

Tip us?

-Luigi.
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Plug [Q] Way to enable MHL (HDMI out) Cable support?

Well I've been searching about MHL support on the Moto X and I discovered that actually he doesnt support this king of cable, to stream the content to a TV via HDMI. But I also heard that its a SOFTWARE limitation, not a hardware one... So in theory we could activate this function.

Anyone knows a way or a custom ROM that supports it?
Device: Motorola Moto X
ROM: Stock 4.4.4 Retail
Kernel: Stock ROM Kernel

Rooted !

aviwdoowks
Old
Thanks Meter 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Luigi. View Post
Well I've been searching about MHL support on the Moto X and I discovered that actually he doesnt support this king of cable, to stream the content to a TV via HDMI. But I also heard that its a SOFTWARE limitation, not a hardware one... So in theory we could activate this function.

Anyone knows a way or a custom ROM that supports it?
Seems it is a HW limitation, the needed chip is not there, to me anyway. But there is no workaround, there are post confirming this.
I am Maxx'ed, X + 1/2
Moto X, Ultra, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF

-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7.

piskr
Old
Thanks Meter 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviwdoowks View Post
Seems it is a HW limitation, the needed chip is not there, to me anyway. But there is no workaround, there are post confirming this.
It is a workaround indeed - Miracast. It even has advantages comparing to the HDMI - no physical connections. It is a bit more expensive but it worth the price.
The Following User Says Thank You to piskr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Old
Thanks Meter 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by piskr View Post
It is a workaround indeed - Miracast. It even has advantages comparing to the HDMI - no physical connections. It is a bit more expensive but it worth the price.
are there miracast dongles that exist that are complete garbage? for my needs, Chromecast does everything I need it to. I haven't had a need for HDMI since its release.

kenrw7
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I have problem that my lg TV finds the moto x and I accept the connection on the phone but connection fails. I'm disappointed in the moto x, although its a great phone I won't buy another.

piskr
Old
Thanks Meter 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640k View Post
are there miracast dongles that exist that are complete garbage? for my needs, Chromecast does everything I need it to. I haven't had a need for HDMI since its release.
It depends of your needs. I must admit that I don't possess the Chromecast, I just borrowed it once from my friend. But as far as I could learnt, it doesn't do screen mirroring, it can only transfer certain video. And you can't transmit audio separately, the screen aimed for video must have its own audio production too (loudspeakers). You can't use plain monitor with the Chromecast if you want to have audio. Or I missed something?

-Luigi.
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by piskr View Post
Well I know its an option, but It doesnt fit me since I wanna play games like Modern Combat 5 using it. Wireless connections has too lag so its not suitable for it...

Rooted !

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 1,636

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Luigi. View Post
Well I know its an option, but It doesnt fit me since I wanna play games like Modern Combat 5 using it. Wireless connections has too lag so its not suitable for it...
So how about an android TV stick with a decent/comparable GPU. Play your games from that...?
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Donate to me via BitCoin - 1samwaLJ7EdQFGME1dkUGPFZywUEKnXcT

-Luigi.
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat View Post
So how about an android TV stick with a decent/comparable GPU. Play your games from that...?

How about $$$$$ ? hahaha

Rooted !

Tags
hdmi, mhl cable, mhl support, tv out