Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Way to enable MHL (HDMI out) Cable support?

OP -Luigi.

26th August 2014, 05:07 AM   |  #1  
-Luigi.'s Avatar
OP Member
Flag Blumenau
Thanks Meter: 21
 
73 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
More
Well I've been searching about MHL support on the Moto X and I discovered that actually he doesnt support this king of cable, to stream the content to a TV via HDMI. But I also heard that its a SOFTWARE limitation, not a hardware one... So in theory we could activate this function.

Anyone knows a way or a custom ROM that supports it?
26th August 2014, 06:06 AM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 528
 
2,603 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Luigi.

Well I've been searching about MHL support on the Moto X and I discovered that actually he doesnt support this king of cable, to stream the content to a TV via HDMI. But I also heard that its a SOFTWARE limitation, not a hardware one... So in theory we could activate this function.

Anyone knows a way or a custom ROM that supports it?

Seems it is a HW limitation, the needed chip is not there, to me anyway. But there is no workaround, there are post confirming this.
26th August 2014, 03:26 PM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 94
 
267 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviwdoowks

Seems it is a HW limitation, the needed chip is not there, to me anyway. But there is no workaround, there are post confirming this.

It is a workaround indeed - Miracast. It even has advantages comparing to the HDMI - no physical connections. It is a bit more expensive but it worth the price.
The Following User Says Thank You to piskr For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th August 2014, 09:53 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 161
 
912 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by piskr

It is a workaround indeed - Miracast. It even has advantages comparing to the HDMI - no physical connections. It is a bit more expensive but it worth the price.

are there miracast dongles that exist that are complete garbage? for my needs, Chromecast does everything I need it to. I haven't had a need for HDMI since its release.
27th August 2014, 07:45 AM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
118 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
More
I have problem that my lg TV finds the moto x and I accept the connection on the phone but connection fails. I'm disappointed in the moto x, although its a great phone I won't buy another.
27th August 2014, 08:32 AM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 94
 
267 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640k

are there miracast dongles that exist that are complete garbage? for my needs, Chromecast does everything I need it to. I haven't had a need for HDMI since its release.

It depends of your needs. I must admit that I don't possess the Chromecast, I just borrowed it once from my friend. But as far as I could learnt, it doesn't do screen mirroring, it can only transfer certain video. And you can't transmit audio separately, the screen aimed for video must have its own audio production too (loudspeakers). You can't use plain monitor with the Chromecast if you want to have audio. Or I missed something?
27th August 2014, 11:10 PM   |  #7  
-Luigi.'s Avatar
OP Member
Flag Blumenau
Thanks Meter: 21
 
73 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by piskr

It is a workaround indeed - Miracast. It even has advantages comparing to the HDMI - no physical connections. It is a bit more expensive but it worth the price.

Well I know its an option, but It doesnt fit me since I wanna play games like Modern Combat 5 using it. Wireless connections has too lag so its not suitable for it...
27th August 2014, 11:25 PM   |  #8  
samwathegreat's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,790
 
2,029 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Luigi.

Well I know its an option, but It doesnt fit me since I wanna play games like Modern Combat 5 using it. Wireless connections has too lag so its not suitable for it...

So how about an android TV stick with a decent/comparable GPU. Play your games from that...?
27th August 2014, 11:38 PM   |  #9  
-Luigi.'s Avatar
OP Member
Flag Blumenau
Thanks Meter: 21
 
73 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat

So how about an android TV stick with a decent/comparable GPU. Play your games from that...?


How about $$$$$ ? hahaha

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
hdmi, mhl cable, mhl support, tv out
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes