Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,603 Members 41,082 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New to the Moto X..couple of questions

Tip us?

IEcansuckit
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default New to the Moto X..couple of questions

Ok so I've successfully gotten past the tough part. I was able to get my VZW Locked Moto X to be rooted and on 4.4. That was a victory for me since it was much tougher process than my previous phone (Droid Razr HD). I'm excited to start using OK Google Now, but I have a question before I set it up.

Is it possible to get the phrase to be "OK Droid"? I remember reading a while back on a different forum of someone doing this to their Droid Maxx.

The other question is regarding the Wifi/USB Tethering. Since I'm rooted I would like to have the option of doing this like I had with my Razr HD. I've read some things on something called the Xposed framework and all the different modules. It seems there is one for this but didn't know about any of the drawbacks of installing the framework? Can someone try to explain it in a little more detail? Are there any drawbacks to the framework? Can I even install it if I have a locked bootloader?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Coop9
Old
Thanks Meter 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEcansuckit View Post
Ok so I've successfully gotten past the tough part. I was able to get my VZW Locked Moto X to be rooted and on 4.4. That was a victory for me since it was much tougher process than my previous phone (Droid Razr HD). I'm excited to start using OK Google Now, but I have a question before I set it up.

Is it possible to get the phrase to be "OK Droid"? I remember reading a while back on a different forum of someone doing this to their Droid Maxx.

The other question is regarding the Wifi/USB Tethering. Since I'm rooted I would like to have the option of doing this like I had with my Razr HD. I've read some things on something called the Xposed framework and all the different modules. It seems there is one for this but didn't know about any of the drawbacks of installing the framework? Can someone try to explain it in a little more detail? Are there any drawbacks to the framework? Can I even install it if I have a locked bootloader?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
You can go into the Touchless Control settings and train the launch phrase. I think people have got it to accept a lot of different phrases. One caveat though, you will likely get a lot more false activations with a different phrase. In my experience training it to 'OK Google' gives me a lot more false activations than 'OK Google Now'

As for Xposed, I don't know of any drawbacks to using it, other than I guess you're changing to a non-stock framework. But if you're after the features, that's exactly what you want.

IEcansuckit
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop9 View Post
You can go into the Touchless Control settings and train the launch phrase. I think people have got it to accept a lot of different phrases. One caveat though, you will likely get a lot more false activations with a different phrase. In my experience training it to 'OK Google' gives me a lot more false activations than 'OK Google Now'

As for Xposed, I don't know of any drawbacks to using it, other than I guess you're changing to a non-stock framework. But if you're after the features, that's exactly what you want.
Ahh, thank you for the warning about the false activations! I'll test it out, I'm sure I can always change it back.