Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Hands On – XDA TV

Perhaps one of the more peculiar announcements this year was the curved edge-screened … more

Nova Launcher Update Brings Lollipop Functionality and Feel

One of the most popular third party launcher on Android, Nova Launcher, has just … more

Check Your I/O Usage with Iotop for Android

Ever needed to check the I/O usage of apps? If so, you probably tried searching for an iotop … more

T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

New (to me) Moto X Questions

OP knitler

25th August 2014, 07:54 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 46

389 posts
More
I just bought a Moto X DE from Swappa to use on my T-Mobile and I have a couple of questions.

I'll be reading the forums so I'm sure I'll find many answers, but I know for some reason I'll just have a hard time finding some even if they are right in my face.

1) Is the 4.4.4 update out for it yet or so I need to unlock/recovery before I can get 4.4.4 I am only interested in AOSP/Google ROM's not CM, PA, or any of the others.

2) How, if at all is the DE ROM different? Or is it just the Bootloader being unlockable the only difference?

3) I am thinking of changing the White back out with a black one. I have seen the guide but my only worry is that the back may not be as tight after I do it due to having to release some of the glue. Will the back still be tight?

4) Anything else I may find interesting? Any Must know tips/tricks.
Last edited by knitler; 25th August 2014 at 08:27 PM.
25th August 2014, 08:52 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 35

241 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitler

I just bought a Moto X DE from Swappa to use on my T-Mobile and I have a couple of questions.

I'll be reading the forums so I'm sure I'll find many answers, but I know for some reason I'll just have a hard time finding some even if they are right in my face.

1) Is the 4.4.4 update out for it yet or so I need to unlock/recovery before I can get 4.4.4 I am only interested in AOSP/Google ROM's not CM, PA, or any of the others.

2) How, if at all is the DE ROM different? Or is it just the Bootloader being unlockable the only difference?

3) I am thinking of changing the White back out with a black one. I have seen the guide but my only worry is that the back may not be as tight after I do it due to having to release some of the glue. Will the back still be tight?

4) Anything else I may find interesting? Any Must know tips/tricks.

I have the DE on VZW

1) i'm not sure, but I beleive its out for Tmobile. You should not need to unlock or do anythign else as long as the device has stock OS and boot-loader

2) the roms are not different other than being designed for slightly different devices, even the Verizon Droid lines share a very similar rom with the X. That being said, do not flash any rom that is not designed for your specific build (xt1058, My DE is xt1060) Also, once you take an OTA, this device does not like to be downgraded, even tho its a DE, its not a nexus that you can just flash any OS version to.

3) I have not replaced a back yet, i cant answer this, but i would be interested in your findings, as i may replace my back some day.

4) Moto did a great job with the software on this device, The stock rom is great. Xposed is all that is needed to bring the look and feel of a custom rom.
25th August 2014, 08:56 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

389 posts
More
Thanks, the only changes I plan to make is Root + maybe flash a kernel and OC the CPU to 1.9/2GHz and play with the DPI settings.
26th August 2014, 12:01 AM   |  #4  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,085

10,142 posts
More
One thing, yes you do have to unlock the bootloader on the moto site. 👌
26th August 2014, 06:13 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 68

362 posts
More
I dont think 4.4.4 is out for tmobile yet. I have the gsm dev edition, haven't gotten it yet nor have i heard/seen anything about it. But it will come soon I hope!

As far as i know the only difference is the unlockable bootloader, ROM is the same otherwise.

If you're planning to root, check out xposed and gravity box.. that combo makes this phone super customizable and you don't need any custom roms ever!
26th August 2014, 07:42 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

389 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramkhalsa

I dont think 4.4.4 is out for tmobile yet. I have the gsm dev edition, haven't gotten it yet nor have i heard/seen anything about it. But it will come soon I hope!

As far as i know the only difference is the unlockable bootloader, ROM is the same otherwise.

If you're planning to root, check out xposed and gravity box.. that combo makes this phone super customizable and you don't need any custom roms ever!

Just got the device, it has 4.4.3. So it looks like I'll root before I get any farther.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread