New to the Moto X.....

OP ilovechi23

16th June 2014, 01:39 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 1

155 posts
More
Hey guys been awhile since I posted on XDA but I just ordered a Moto X and waiting for it to come and I have check the forums for other things to do with my Moto X when i get it. Besides the Active Notifications and Always on voice feature is there anything else I Can do to Moto X Root or other features that probably wasnt mention or lesser known features
16th June 2014, 02:31 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 84

364 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovechi23

Hey guys been awhile since I posted on XDA but I just ordered a Moto X and waiting for it to come and I have check the forums for other things to do with my Moto X when i get it. Besides the Active Notifications and Always on voice feature is there anything else I Can do to Moto X Root or other features that probably wasnt mention or lesser known features

Did you get the Dev edition ? I heard they have a 64GB ver out now. what carrier did you order with ?

Sent from my fingers to your face
16th June 2014, 03:39 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag los Angeles

155 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlexander_AlexanderX

Did you get the Dev edition ? I heard they have a 64GB ver out now. what carrier did you order with ?

no I didn't ..... I got the 32 gig moto maker from Verizon..... There's no root for the latest firmware is it?
16th June 2014, 03:45 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 84

364 posts
More
Quote:

no I didn't ..... I got the 32 gig moto maker from Verizon..... There's no root for the latest firmware is it?

I believe so and no boot loader unlock unfortunately... The phone is amazing either way. i'm on rooted stock because its amazing like that. I love touch less control, assist, and alert. I am a flashaholic but this.. this phone is just amazing. my friends are jealous of my phone lol.

16th June 2014, 03:55 AM   |  #5  
Flag Corona, CA - Murfreesboro, TN
Thanks Meter: 310

1,480 posts
More
Quote:

Try sending money to the guy in China and see if he can get your phone unlocked.

MOTO X
16th June 2014, 04:13 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag los Angeles

155 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlexander_AlexanderX

I believe so and no boot loader unlock unfortunately... The phone is amazing either way. i'm on rooted stock because its amazing like that. I love touch less control, assist, and alert. I am a flashaholic but this.. this phone is just amazing. my friends are jealous of my phone lol.

Yeah I heard great reviews about it ...I used to be a flashaholic till i started staying with samsung phones .... This my first phone that's not a samsung in 4 years ...... Imma look around for a root method for the latest firmware and see what I find
16th June 2014, 12:42 PM   |  #7  
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 848

2,087 posts
More
Quote:

to have a "complete" root solution you need to things.. 1. Root and 2. Disable Write Protection.

Starting with 4.4.2, the past exploits used to disable write protection were patched. i.e. no way to disable write protection on 4.4.2 and 4.4.3 when you have a locked bootloader.

If your Verizon X ships with 4.4.2, you can use Jcase's PIE root process to root, but it doesn't address write protection, so root is lost at power off/on. Also, since write protection is enabled, you can't write to /system and the like.

With 4.4.3, the vulnerability used with the PIE process is/was patched, so you'd need to wait on a new exploit and process.

If you are lucky enough to receive your X with 4.4 or below, you can use SlapMyMoto and MotoWpNoMo to root and disable write protection. Just don't upgrade, or write protection will get re-enabled.

If you had purchased the Dev Edition X, you could unlock you boot loader which does disable write protection and allows root no matter what ROM is on your phone. Moto supplies the unlock code for Dev Editions, and unlocking the bootloader doesn't void the warranty on the Dev Edition.

Unfortunately, for the retail and Moto Maker X for Verizon, Moto doesn't give out the bootloader unlock codes (same for ATT, Republic Wireless, and a few others). But there are threads discussing using a Chinese Website/Middleman to get an unlock code. If you get the code from this 3rd party, you're phone will be just like the Dev Edition X, only your warranty is voided (if they see the bootloader unlock status).
16th June 2014, 09:34 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag los Angeles

155 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe

to have a "complete" root solution you need to things.. 1. Root and 2. Disable Write Protection.

Starting with 4.4.2, the past exploits used to disable write protection were patched. i.e. no way to disable write protection on 4.4.2 and 4.4.3 when you have a locked bootloader.

If your Verizon X ships with 4.4.2, you can use Jcase's PIE root process to root, but it doesn't address write protection, so root is lost at power off/on. Also, since write protection is enabled, you can't write to /system and the like.

With 4.4.3, the vulnerability used with the PIE process is/was patched, so you'd need to wait on a new exploit and process.

If you are lucky enough to receive your X with 4.4 or below, you can use SlapMyMoto and MotoWpNoMo to root and disable write protection. Just don't upgrade, or write protection will get re-enabled.

If you had purchased the Dev Edition X, you could unlock you boot loader which does disable write protection and allows root no matter what ROM is on your phone. Moto supplies the unlock code for Dev Editions, and unlocking the bootloader doesn't void the warranty on the Dev Edition.

Unfortunately, for the retail and Moto Maker X for Verizon, Moto doesn't give out the bootloader unlock codes (same for ATT, Republic Wireless, and a few others). But there are threads discussing using a Chinese Website/Middleman to get an unlock code. If you get the code from this 3rd party, you're phone will be just like the Dev Edition X, only your warranty is voided (if they see the bootloader unlock status).

Well it will be tomorrow so ill see what version it has ... heres to hoping it ships 4.4..... Anything else I should know?
16th June 2014, 11:15 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 68

363 posts
More
Xposed and gravitybox.. thats all you need
The Following User Says Thank You to vikramkhalsa For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th June 2014, 03:35 AM   |  #10  
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 848

2,087 posts
More
Quote:

Well it will be tomorrow so ill see what version it has ... heres to hoping it ships 4.4..... Anything else I should know?

Everything I could say is posted at ->http://mark.cdmaforums.com/MotoX.htm

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread