New to Moto X

Search This thread

nygbrad

Nov 16, 2010
I just switched from a S3 to a Moto X. My S3 was starting to lag pretty bad and the battery was crap. Well I can't say I am to impressed with the Moto X. I read comparisons between the 2 and the Moto X seemed better on paper to me. I know the camera on the S3 is much better but I wasn't to worried about that.

My question is Motorola just behind in the overall look of the phone? The interface with the dialer is back to the look of when I have an Incredible. And the battery is on par with my 3 year old S3. This phone is already at 4.4.4, so I cannot root it. Should I get rid of this and go for a S4 or pay more for an S5? I love the size of this phone and overall feel of it just disappointed I guess overall as compared to everything I was able to do with my Galaxy.

efstuck

Aug 19, 2014
I also came from an S3 to a Moto X and it was completely night and day. S3 drained my battery and touchwiz was laggy as heck.

Agree the camera is not that good in the Moto X but other than that..i can't think of anything i missed from the galaxy S3.

I really can't think of what could be bogging down your phone so much... maybe you got a lemon..was it used?

I've been using mine for a year now and it's still pretty snappy and battery definitely is better than the S3 in my experience.

cheers
Ken

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Having a large variety of devices on hand that I use (see the link in my sig), I still like the X best.

Sure, my S4 and S5 have a brighter display and better cameras (although, with 4.4.4 Moto has again made some improvements). But over all, the S4 and S5 are laggy compared to the X. (Note: Being my personal device, my X is loaded with apps and music. Being work devices, and often having to wipe and test, my S4 and S5 are stock with only two or three added apps.)

I'm 6'1" with average hands for a man that size. I find the S4 and S5 too big for single handed operation. The X is just the right size for single handed use, and fits in my pocket when needed without being noticeable.

Touch Wiz makes my samsungs look/feel cheap, and appears to be the cause of some/most of the lag I see. The only thing I LIKE is its calendar app, how it lists the agenda for the day on the bottom half of the screen. However, since I've been using Today Calendar on my X, I find that gives me what I like without bogging down my phone.

Not sure I see the resemblance between the Incredible's dialer and the near stock android dialer of the X. To be honest, I liked HTC Sense on my Incredible and Thunderbolt. I didn't like stock android on my original droid, or blur on my Droid X. Moto has made some nice, albeit slight, changes from stock on the X. Just enough to enhance it, and not too much that their changes get in the way or impact performance.

Battery life on my X is pretty good. I often go for more than a day and a half on my X between charges. Yeah, I wish it had replaceable battery, and microSD card slot, but I've learned to live without them now (I just have to make sure I always get a 32gig or more phone!).

I get that the X isn't the right phone for everyone, so if *you* don't like it. Return it. If you purchased it used, sell it. Don't rely on what others think or have to say.

D

Darth

It's your usage, setup or a poor signal causing your battery times... Or some issue.

It's not just "the phone".

Troubleshoot the issues in the "how's your battery life" thread in general. Lots of people to help there. ?

Sensamic

Jul 27, 2010
You're probably disappointed because there's no huge difference between the two.

Both have similar screens, battery life, etc. Moto X is faster, but the SGS3 has better camera and microSD.

I was thinking of buying the Moto X too. I have the SGS3, but I think the difference is little and not worth the money.

nygbrad

Nov 16, 2010
Sorry I made a post and haven't responded until now. I've had the Moto X for a week or 2 now and have gotten used to it but it seems like the battery dies must faster than my S3 did. I look at the usage and my work email is taking up most of the battery. I changed the sync from 15 mins to 30 mins but doesn't seem to help. I downloaded the Clean Master app and clear out the junk and stop apps from running a couple times a day but doesn't seem to help. Not sure if rooting would help but I've briefly read that if it's on 4.4.4 you can't. Oh well I still have my S3 so I may switch back and forth to see which I like better. Overall I like the size of the Moto X better as well as the speed!

knitler

Nov 30, 2012
Philadelphia
I moved from a N4 to a G2 to a N5, to a MotoX. I didn't not have a HUGE down grade from the G2 to N2 with regards to battery. I'm not sure about the X yet as I've had it less than a day. I expect it to be the same as the N5 though.

nexuspur

Nov 14, 2013
I just switched from a S3 to a Moto X. My S3 was starting to lag pretty bad and the battery was crap. Well I can't say I am to impressed with the Moto X. I read comparisons between the 2 and the Moto X seemed better on paper to me. I know the camera on the S3 is much better but I wasn't to worried about that.

My question is Motorola just behind in the overall look of the phone? The interface with the dialer is back to the look of when I have an Incredible. And the battery is on par with my 3 year old S3. This phone is already at 4.4.4, so I cannot root it. Should I get rid of this and go for a S4 or pay more for an S5? I love the size of this phone and overall feel of it just disappointed I guess overall as compared to everything I was able to do with my Galaxy.
What model of the x you have?

Hasuris

May 13, 2013
Sorry I made a post and haven't responded until now. I've had the Moto X for a week or 2 now and have gotten used to it but it seems like the battery dies must faster than my S3 did. I look at the usage and my work email is taking up most of the battery. I changed the sync from 15 mins to 30 mins but doesn't seem to help. I downloaded the Clean Master app and clear out the junk and stop apps from running a couple times a day but doesn't seem to help. Not sure if rooting would help but I've briefly read that if it's on 4.4.4 you can't. Oh well I still have my S3 so I may switch back and forth to see which I like better. Overall I like the size of the Moto X better as well as the speed!

If you're writing a lot emails you could try out K9 and change the theme to "dark". It switches from black text on white background to white text on black background. That way you save a lot energy on AMOLED-screens. It's also quite well done in K9. Most inverted or "blacked out"-apps tend to look rather goofy. For SMS I use "Textra", that has a pretty nice dark theme too.

nygbrad

Nov 16, 2010
Thanks I will definitely try the email app.

And I'm not an expert in rooting. Only did the last few phones I had. I always make sure they're proven to work before I try them haha.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
I thought the first sticky said any phone with 4.4.3 or higher cannot be unlocked.

You read it totally wrong. Any phone on 4.4.3 or higher can not be rooted WITH AN EXPLOIT.

Any phone *except* Verizon (non-dev edition), AT&T, and Republic Wireless, can have the BL unlocked FREE, from Moto's unlock site.

Good Luck.

Jamolah

Jan 18, 2008
I came from an S3 and i found the MotoX to be much faster in responsiveness. Touchwiz is such a bulky laggy skin, although with that said, I do miss a couple of things about it:
1. The notification toggles
2. The photo gallery (create folders and drag-drop move feature so handy)
3. The ICS calendar integration

On 4.4 the battery was great on the X, but i found later iterations of the OS made the battery worse

Radio signal is much better on the MotoX device I can get LTE signal in my house which I never got with the S3

Sent from my XT1058 using XDA Free mobile app