Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,775 Members 41,095 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is there a way to reset the five time limit to a network lock

Tip us?

vfgomes
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Is there a way to reset the five time limit to a network lock

Hi folks,

I am well aware of the threads out there about how no one was able to root the at&t kitkat 4.4.2 Moto x phone. But my problem is a bit different (though rooting would be a solution). The summary is that I have a code from at&t to unlock my phone but the code doesn't work anymore because I supposedly surpassed the number of tries limit (though there is no visual indication on the phone of that). At least, after talking multiple times to at&t and Motorola, that is the story they told me. Its amazing how neither at&t nor Motorola support people know exactly how many chances I have (something around 5 apparently) and how there is now warning on the phone about that. At&t said they could solve my problem if I was within a reach of an at&t antenna, but I am obviously not even near that (I am in Brazil right now...).

Here is how it happened: I essentially was not aware that my phone was network locked (I never had to deal with that before as I always bought devices full price that came unlocked). I did get the Moto X full price and I am now traveling in Brazil for a month and, as I've done before, I got a local sim card. When I did put the card in, I thought the code that was being asked of me was the simcard code (the UX does freaking say SIM network unlock code!!!), after failing a couple of times, I tried combinations of puk code and simcard code only to then realize that what I needed was the at&T unlock code (but apparently I had already messed around too much by then). I went through the process to get it, but now their code still doesn't work.

So the question is: Is there a way to reset this limit without rooting the phone? I tried doing the data factory reset, and I also tried flashing it back to stock firmware, none seemed to have any effect.

Any suggestions? Does anyone even know how this limit on the network lock works?

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 568

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfgomes View Post
Hi folks,

I am well aware of the threads out there about how no one was able to root the at&t kitkat 4.4.2 Moto x phone. But my problem is a bit different (though rooting would be a solution). The summary is that I have a code from at&t to unlock my phone but the code doesn't work anymore because I supposedly surpassed the number of tries limit (though there is no visual indication on the phone of that). At least, after talking multiple times to at&t and Motorola, that is the story they told me. Its amazing how neither at&t nor Motorola support people know exactly how many chances I have (something around 5 apparently) and how there is now warning on the phone about that. At&t said they could solve my problem if I was within a reach of an at&t antenna, but I am obviously not even near that (I am in Brazil right now...).

Here is how it happened: I essentially was not aware that my phone was network locked (I never had to deal with that before as I always bought devices full price that came unlocked). I did get the Moto X full price and I am now traveling in Brazil for a month and, as I've done before, I got a local sim card. When I did put the card in, I thought the code that was being asked of me was the simcard code (the UX does freaking say SIM network unlock code!!!), after failing a couple of times, I tried combinations of puk code and simcard code only to then realize that what I needed was the at&T unlock code (but apparently I had already messed around too much by then). I went through the process to get it, but now their code still doesn't work.

So the question is: Is there a way to reset this limit without rooting the phone? I tried doing the data factory reset, and I also tried flashing it back to stock firmware, none seemed to have any effect.

Any suggestions? Does anyone even know how this limit on the network lock works?
If you haven't already tried, you MIGHT be able to reset the counter by erasing the Modemst1 and modemst2 partitions. To try, you will need the android SDK and 'mfastboot' binary.

You'll boot the phone into bootloader mode, and type:

mfastboot erase modemst1
mfastboot erase modemst2

Now reboot. Let us know if the counter has reset.

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure rooting will be able to do anything for you either...
Remember: the "SEARCH" button will often save you a great deal of time waiting for a reply.

Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Quote of the year:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitinthedirt View Post
Well Google now doesn't work worth an iPhone. .I've spoken those last two lines ADB shell commands out loud for the past 15 minutes and I don't get root

vfgomes
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat View Post
If you haven't already tried, you MIGHT be able to reset the counter by erasing the Modemst1 and modemst2 partitions. To try, you will need the android SDK and 'mfastboot' binary.

You'll boot the phone into bootloader mode, and type:

mfastboot erase modemst1
mfastboot erase modemst2

Now reboot. Let us know if the counter has reset.

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure rooting will be able to do anything for you either...
That doesn't work. What really annoys me is the lack of any indication on the phone about the limit or the state you are in. Hopefully at&t can fix this issue once I am back in the US.