Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

About to upgrade to an X and have a few questions.

OP Jersey846

27th May 2014, 03:03 AM   |  #11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Washington DC
Thanks Meter: 210

723 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weischadle

You can keep an eye on the MiddleMan thread, and can hope your X is a winner, if you're willing to spend the money for a forever-unlocked X

Update: just saw you were already posting over there, good luck either way

Yup keeping an eye out! Thanks man! Definitely hope I am able to hook it up when my phone comes in!

Sent from my Droid Razr M
27th May 2014, 06:33 AM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 774

2,943 posts
I don't know about Call Blocker, but you don't need root to use the basic function of Greenify. It can't automatically hibernate apps in the background, but it can automate hibernating of all running apps manually. It have a widget so I just put the widget on my dock and press it once a while.

As for woodback, save your money and get the nonslip material, which is more comfortable and grippy to hold. I believe if it fell, the dents will be less visible compared to woodbacks as well. The woodbacks are nice looking, but is more slippy. Also they aren't real wood (some people say the bamboo version is real wood but it didn't seem that way when I had it). You could get adhesive real wood back from toastmade.com which I think is higher quality, but it will add more bulk to the phone and is not comfortable to hold unless you sand down the edges.

Also the app Helium for backing up apps data doesn't need root to work.
Last edited by eksasol; 27th May 2014 at 06:49 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to eksasol For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th May 2014, 06:59 AM   |  #13  
Flag Central US
Thanks Meter: 90

145 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey846

If it somehow hasn't been updated to 4.4.2, is there any way for me to prevent it from automatically updating when I receive it and root?
Sent from my Droid Razr M

Once you're rooted you can freeze the Android Update service. This will stop it checking for OTAs.
27th May 2014, 07:16 AM   |  #14  
OP Senior Member
Flag Washington DC

723 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksasol

I don't know about Call Blocker, but you don't need root to use the basic function of Greenify. It can't automatically hibernate apps in the background, but it can automate hibernating of all running apps manually. It have a widget so I just put the widget on my dock and press it once a while.

As for woodback, save your money and get the nonslip material, which is more comfortable and grippy to hold. I believe if it fell, the dents will be less visible compared to woodbacks as well. The woodbacks are nice looking, but is more slippy. Also they aren't real wood (some people say the bamboo version is real wood but it didn't seem that way when I had it). You could get adhesive real wood back from toastmade.com which I think is higher quality, but it will add more bulk to the phone and is not comfortable to hold unless you sand down the edges.

Also the app Helium for backing up apps data doesn't need root to work.

The last time I used Greenify on a non-rooted device it was a bit time consuming. Everything had to be done manually unless I was doing something wrong. Or maybe it's better now from what you're saying. That'd be nice.

I did not get the woodback. I figured if I wanted a wood back I could always get one of the few wood cases or backs later. Toast Back was the exact one I saw that gave me confidence that I should get the regular back. I'm very happy.

And if I don't end up with root I will DEFINITELY be checking out Helium, thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7
The Following User Says Thank You to Jersey846 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th May 2014, 08:36 AM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 528

2,603 posts
Helium not working on X yet. I have a link in my sigi.
The Following User Says Thank You to aviwdoowks For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th May 2014, 09:42 AM   |  #16  

2,943 posts
I have both the T-Mobile and AT&T version with 4.4.2, no root, both have Helium working without problems. Check your drivers.
28th May 2014, 07:48 PM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 528

2,603 posts
Quote:

I have both the T-Mobile and AT&T version with 4.4.2, no root, both have Helium working without problems. Check your drivers.

Is that premium?
29th May 2014, 08:38 PM   |  #18  

2,943 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviwdoowks

Is that premium?

I just use the free version. What I did is:
-Install Motorola driver: http://download.clockworkmod.com/dri...iver_5.4.0.exe
-Run Helium on the phone and run Helium PC program: http://www.clockworkmod.com/carbon
-Connect the phone to PC, then the Helium app will ask to enable USB Debugging
-In a moment after enabling USB Debugging, a window will pop up asking to allow ADB permission for the PC, if the permission window doesn't pop up, unplug and replug the phone
-In a few seconds you should see a green check in the Helium PC app
The Following User Says Thank You to eksasol For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th May 2014, 09:44 PM   |  #19  
OP Senior Member
Flag Washington DC

723 posts
Quote:

I just use the free version. What I did is:
-Install Motorola driver: http://download.clockworkmod.com/dri...iver_5.4.0.exe
-Run Helium on the phone and run Helium PC program: http://www.clockworkmod.com/carbon
-Connect the phone to PC, then the Helium app will ask to enable USB Debugging
-In a moment after enabling USB Debugging, a window will pop up asking to allow ADB permission for the PC, if the permission window doesn't pop up, unplug and replug the phone
-In a few seconds you should see a green check in the Helium PC app

Awesome thanks man!

Sent from my Nexus 7

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread