Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,176 Members 51,485 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Touchless control activation within Google now

Tip us?

bryan.huang
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Touchless control activation within Google now

I've been using the Moto x for a week now and I feel that the touchless control activation (ok Google now) is much more sensitive than the "ok Google" hotword within the Google now app.
One thing I'm seeing is that when you're in the Google now app, it only listens for "ok Google" rather than touchless control "ok Google now", which isn't as sensitive.
Would like to confirm whether others are not able to activate touchless control "ok Google now" from within the Google now app?

Sent from my XT1052 using Tapatalk

eksasol
Old
(Last edited by eksasol; 14th February 2014 at 09:21 AM.)
Thanks Meter 695
That's how it's designed, it's not supposed to activate while on Google Now. At least that's how it is for me since day one. And it wouldn't make sense. Let's say if you are in Google Now, if you did activate Touchless Control, it would just goes back to Google Now to initiate the command, redundant.

sent via tapatalk

bryan.huang
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I would've preferred it to still be able to pick up touchless control from within the google now app. I find that I can activate touchless control from across the room whereas the google now hotword is a lot less sensitive and I need to be close to my phone to activate it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bryan.huang
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Just an update on this. I stumbled across it by accident:
If you deactivate "hotword detection" within the Google now app, touchless control will now always be activated.

Just posting in case anybody finds it useful

Sent from my XT1052 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to bryan.huang For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jpxdude
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Very good to know that the Google Hotword in Google Now is unnecessary and redundant, as it is a battery hog in 4.4.2! This should be marked somewhere as a huge tip!
Samsung Galaxy S2 - BRICKED
Acer Liquid MT - Relegated
LG Optimus G - E975 10E - DEAD
Moto X