Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,428 Members 47,454 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Touchless Control and UConnect hands-free system.

Tip us?

gangrif
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] Touchless Control and UConnect hands-free system.

So, this may have been brought up already, I did try to search, but didnt come up with much.

So, i bought a Moto X, even after hearing the lenovo/google news. I figure that they cant ruin the device quickly enough to justify second-guessing my long and painstaking decision process.

Anyway, touchless control is pretty awesome. Ive been tinkering with it since i got it. I'm a long time android user, and have been using google now for some time. The problem is this.

I drive a 2013 Jeep, with a UConnect bluetooth hands-free system. It works for what its supposed to work for, i can make calls, stream audio, all is well. In fact its working better than it did on my old GNex. However, once I connect my motox to UConnect (that is, i get in, turn on the Jeep, and bluetooth associates), touchless control becomes unresponsive. In fact, it seems that even if i try to manually initiate a voice search, google now cant hear me. I can use the voice input for the keyboard, just not voice commands. It's almost like as soon as i'm paired to a bluetooth input, google now voice input/touchless control get turned off. Which to me seems odd.

I tried looking around in my settings, i cant seem to find a setting that tells the phone to do this. It just doesnt work.

Also, if i turn off bluetooth while the Jeep is still running, touchless/voice input starts working again.

I havent tried pairing it to another bluetooth headset to see if it does it then too, i'll update this thread once i've had a chance to try that.

Is this something others are experiencing? Is it supposed to do this for some safety feature, and I dont know it?

Thanks!

Solutions Etcetera
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Google Now>Settings>Voice>Bluetooth Headset

gangrif
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
Google Now>Settings>Voice>Bluetooth Headset
Thanks! Just changed the setting. I'll give it a shot as soon as im back in my Jeep!

gangrif
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Ok, results.
I found the Bluetooth headset option was turned off by default. I turned it on. Last night I had a chance to fiddle with it on my way home. At first it didn't work. So i went back into the Google now settings and turned the option back off, and..... It started working! I have no idea why. I'm actually back in the same config I started with, but now it's working. Weird.

Solutions Etcetera
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Gotta love android...

gangrif
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Gotta love android...
I do love android! But yea, i agree. Some weird stuff here.

Solutions Etcetera
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangrif View Post
I do love android! But yea, i agree. Some weird stuff here.
The other day I had a Bluetooth headset on listening to a podcast via Pocketcasts and when I used Google Now, sometimes the response would play over the phone's speaker, and other times over the headset.

Pretty clear Android still hasn't gotten Bluetooth right. )c:

Cozume
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
Pretty clear Android still hasn't gotten Bluetooth right. )c:
yeah, ain't that the truth! I couldn't get a Moto X to pair with my Lexus when an iPhone 5 can.