Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,052 Members 43,174 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Does Towel Root have any potential in the Motorola field?

Tip us?

Jersey846
Old
Thanks Meter 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker22004 View Post
I've been reading the Chinaman's unlock thread and it seems he is back... I'm on Republic Wireless and he unlocked my phone easy.. I would say try that and then you basically would have a Dev phone.. Easy root and no write protection.

Sent from my XT1049 using XDA Free mobile app
China Man is definitely back. For me, he doesn't yet have an unlock for my May 27, 2014 X. So hoping that he has that in the coming month or so. Will try again, but in the mean time TowelRoot is definitely a blessing.

Sent from my Moto X

tu3218
Old
Thanks Meter 253
How do you guys enter the experimental feature of towelroot? I hit the "make it rain" to root and it says I have root but someone said I had to go into experimental features or something similar. How do I do that?

Jersey846
Old
Thanks Meter 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by tu3218 View Post
How do you guys enter the experimental feature of towelroot? I hit the "make it rain" to root and it says I have root but someone said I had to go into experimental features or something similar. How do I do that?
Triple tap "Welcome to Towel Root v3". After that change the last number in the string from "0" to "1". Then click "Make it rain". And bam you're rooted. No write privileges, but you're rooted for stuff like Titanium Backup and Root Greenify.

Sent from my Moto X
WiredPirate Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey846 View Post
China Man is definitely back. For me, he doesn't yet have an unlock for my May 27, 2014 X. So hoping that he has that in the coming month or so. Will try again, but in the mean time TowelRoot is definitely a blessing.

Sent from my Moto X
Hooray for Towel Root and ad blocking, the only thing I really wanted root for.

I have read here or there about this middleman, but apparently don't have the search skills I use to have. Can you PM me his contact info (& what info I need to send him) or point me to the post/thread that includes it? Thanks.

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredPirate View Post
Hooray for Towel Root and ad blocking, the only thing I really wanted root for.

I have read here or there about this middleman, but apparently don't have the search skills I use to have. Can you PM me his contact info (& what info I need to send him) or point me to the post/thread that includes it? Thanks.
No need to search or someone PM you. Just visit the General section and scroll through the tread list... trust me, you'll see it.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

zjfb26
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default With Pie

does this work with Jcase's pie as in can you install it as a system app and make it work?

thesomnambulist
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tu3218 View Post
So it seems that write protection is gonna give you access to modding your phone. Changing the look of things, adding in PIE, xposed, etc. But with basic root from towelroot, you can do basic things like greenify, ad block, WiFi tether. Just if u reboot, you have to reroot. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I can definitely live with the latter since I can't unlock at this point.
Removing write protection allows you to write to they /system partition. You can actually make most changes such as "modding" your phone without this, but in general they may not survive a reboot. PIE is actually a root method that jcase developed for the moto x. It essentially does the same thing as towelroot, but it requires you to be connected to a pc to use it. As someone else alluded to, you can install xposed after rooting with PIE, and it will survive a soft reboot. I haven't tried towelroot, but I would assume the same to be true there. The main problems with this are the lack of wp removal, and the fact that my moto x has a tendancy to crash sometimes immediately following a soft reboot, forcing me to tether and root again. I may try towelroot to see if it works the same. If it is successful, it may be preferable since it doesn't require a pc.