Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,152 Members 54,009 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Transferring warranty...

Tip us?

@rbiter
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 957
Default Transferring warranty...

I have googled, searched XDA and moto's website but can't seem to find details on transferring warranty to somebody who purchases your moto x. Apparently on swappa they are saying you can but I can't find any info and would rather not call moto as I am at work and can't extended calls. Anybody have a link or know the exact procedure? And how or if it's possible with unlocked boot loader. I have read some accounts of moto still hooking it up with unlocked boot loader phones or giving discount on repairs of phones with unlocked booloader.

sent from my HTC M8 using hofo app

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2833
http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers...s_of_Sale.html

Googled "moto x transfer warranty"....this was result number one.

No, you can't. Officially anyway.

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Actually.... I can't find what the Google preview showed. Lol

Also, it is only saying phones bought from moto site.

See....from the Google search preview....bit can't find it on the page.

Dunno.

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

shane1
Old
Thanks Meter 73
I believe the warranty goes with the imei #. I bought my dev edition used and when I went to get the unlock code I checked warranty status and it was covered.

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 560

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by @rbiter View Post
I have googled, searched XDA and moto's website but can't seem to find details on transferring warranty to somebody who purchases your moto x. Apparently on swappa they are saying you can but I can't find any info and would rather not call moto as I am at work and can't extended calls. Anybody have a link or know the exact procedure? And how or if it's possible with unlocked boot loader. I have read some accounts of moto still hooking it up with unlocked boot loader phones or giving discount on repairs of phones with unlocked booloader.

sent from my HTC M8 using hofo app
Yes, you can.

I sold my AT&T Moto X (not unlocked, not rooted or modified) on Swappa, and the buyer asked for the following info:

Name, email address, order number & Date

I sent him that info, and he simply called motorola, gave them MY info, and then HIS info, and they happily transferred the remaining warranty to him. All you have to do is ask....

See this thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX/commen...x_from_swappa/
Remember: the "SEARCH" button will often save you a great deal of time waiting for a reply.

Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Quote of the year:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitinthedirt View Post
Well Google now doesn't work worth an iPhone. .I've spoken those last two lines ADB shell commands out loud for the past 15 minutes and I don't get root

acomp182
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I bought a DE on Swappa used and used the warranty without a problem.

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2833
I think what I posted is just phones off the moto site. They obviously know you're info if you order from there...and maybe another person couldn't claim warranty in that case.

But yeah...carrier sold phones are probably fine.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 655
The Moto warranty information included with my Dev Edition for Verizon X says the warranty is NOT transferrable.

I have seen posts of Moto denying warranty claims on Moto Maker phones made by individuals who were not the original purchaser.

That being said..

If you are going through a carrier for replacement, their rules may be different, and they might just accept the warranty claim as long as it is one year from device launch (since they may not be able to verify the original purchase date), and the IMEI isn't reported lost/stolen.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 560

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
I think what I posted is just phones off the moto site. They obviously know you're info if you order from there...and maybe another person couldn't claim warranty in that case.

But yeah...carrier sold phones are probably fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe View Post
The Moto warranty information included with my Dev Edition for Verizon X says the warranty is NOT transferrable.

I have seen posts of Moto denying warranty claims on Moto Maker phones made by individuals who were not the original purchaser.

That being said..

If you are going through a carrier for replacement, their rules may be different, and they might just accept the warranty claim as long as it is one year from device launch (since they may not be able to verify the original purchase date), and the IMEI isn't reported lost/stolen.
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to insinuate that your info was incorrect. Yes, it does appear that Moto's "official stance" is that warranty is non-transferable, but they appear to be allowing it anyways.

The phone I sold was ordered from MotoMaker, and after the buyer requested the original sale info to transfer the warranty, it obviously worked because I received this reply:

"Thought I commented earlier. You rock, thank you, it's been transferred. "

Several others with MotoMaker editions on Swappa have also reported that they successfully had the remaining warranty transferred to them. Apparently, Moto requires that you verify the original order info (name, address, email, order #, etc), then the new owner gives them their info.

As of now, they do appear to be transferring the warranty. This could change at any time, given moto's "official stance" on the warranty being non-transferrable.
Remember: the "SEARCH" button will often save you a great deal of time waiting for a reply.

Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Quote of the year:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitinthedirt View Post
Well Google now doesn't work worth an iPhone. .I've spoken those last two lines ADB shell commands out loud for the past 15 minutes and I don't get root
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat View Post
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to insinuate that your info was incorrect. Yes, it does appear that Moto's "official stance" is that warranty is non-transferable, but they appear to be allowing it anyways.

The phone I sold was ordered from MotoMaker, and after the buyer requested the original sale info to transfer the warranty, it obviously worked because I received this reply:

"Thought I commented earlier. You rock, thank you, it's been transferred. "

Several others with MotoMaker editions on Swappa have also reported that they successfully had the remaining warranty transferred to them. Apparently, Moto requires that you verify the original order info (name, address, email, order #, etc), then the new owner gives them their info.

As of now, they do appear to be transferring the warranty. This could change at any time, given moto's "official stance" on the warranty being non-transferrable.
Its like rooting....warranty void. But many still pull it off. Lol

Official statement on warranty is one thing....actual results are another.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KJ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]