Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

An Android Enthusiast’s Apple iPhone 6 Challenge

The media has gone batty again over Apple “revolutionizing” smartphones. … more
Post Reply

Transferring warranty...

2nd July 2014, 02:08 PM   |  #1  
@rbiter's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 959
 
4,082 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
I have googled, searched XDA and moto's website but can't seem to find details on transferring warranty to somebody who purchases your moto x. Apparently on swappa they are saying you can but I can't find any info and would rather not call moto as I am at work and can't extended calls. Anybody have a link or know the exact procedure? And how or if it's possible with unlocked boot loader. I have read some accounts of moto still hooking it up with unlocked boot loader phones or giving discount on repairs of phones with unlocked booloader.

sent from my HTC M8 using hofo app
3rd July 2014, 02:11 AM   |  #2  
KJ's Avatar
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 3,714
 
8,913 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
More
http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers...s_of_Sale.html

Googled "moto x transfer warranty"....this was result number one.

No, you can't. Officially anyway.

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Actually.... I can't find what the Google preview showed. Lol

Also, it is only saying phones bought from moto site.

See....from the Google search preview....bit can't find it on the page.

Dunno.

3rd July 2014, 02:30 AM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 73
 
248 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
I believe the warranty goes with the imei #. I bought my dev edition used and when I went to get the unlock code I checked warranty status and it was covered.
3rd July 2014, 02:09 PM   |  #4  
samwathegreat's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,684
 
1,966 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by @rbiter

I have googled, searched XDA and moto's website but can't seem to find details on transferring warranty to somebody who purchases your moto x. Apparently on swappa they are saying you can but I can't find any info and would rather not call moto as I am at work and can't extended calls. Anybody have a link or know the exact procedure? And how or if it's possible with unlocked boot loader. I have read some accounts of moto still hooking it up with unlocked boot loader phones or giving discount on repairs of phones with unlocked booloader.

sent from my HTC M8 using hofo app

Yes, you can.

I sold my AT&T Moto X (not unlocked, not rooted or modified) on Swappa, and the buyer asked for the following info:

Name, email address, order number & Date

I sent him that info, and he simply called motorola, gave them MY info, and then HIS info, and they happily transferred the remaining warranty to him. All you have to do is ask....

See this thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX/commen...x_from_swappa/
3rd July 2014, 02:58 PM   |  #5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
18 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
More
I bought a DE on Swappa used and used the warranty without a problem.
3rd July 2014, 03:22 PM   |  #6  
KJ's Avatar
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 3,714
 
8,913 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
More
I think what I posted is just phones off the moto site. They obviously know you're info if you order from there...and maybe another person couldn't claim warranty in that case.

But yeah...carrier sold phones are probably fine.
3rd July 2014, 04:08 PM   |  #7  
KidJoe's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 800
 
1,998 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2008
More
The Moto warranty information included with my Dev Edition for Verizon X says the warranty is NOT transferrable.

I have seen posts of Moto denying warranty claims on Moto Maker phones made by individuals who were not the original purchaser.

That being said..

If you are going through a carrier for replacement, their rules may be different, and they might just accept the warranty claim as long as it is one year from device launch (since they may not be able to verify the original purchase date), and the IMEI isn't reported lost/stolen.
3rd July 2014, 11:09 PM   |  #8  
samwathegreat's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,684
 
1,966 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ

I think what I posted is just phones off the moto site. They obviously know you're info if you order from there...and maybe another person couldn't claim warranty in that case.

But yeah...carrier sold phones are probably fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe

The Moto warranty information included with my Dev Edition for Verizon X says the warranty is NOT transferrable.

I have seen posts of Moto denying warranty claims on Moto Maker phones made by individuals who were not the original purchaser.

That being said..

If you are going through a carrier for replacement, their rules may be different, and they might just accept the warranty claim as long as it is one year from device launch (since they may not be able to verify the original purchase date), and the IMEI isn't reported lost/stolen.

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to insinuate that your info was incorrect. Yes, it does appear that Moto's "official stance" is that warranty is non-transferable, but they appear to be allowing it anyways.

The phone I sold was ordered from MotoMaker, and after the buyer requested the original sale info to transfer the warranty, it obviously worked because I received this reply:

"Thought I commented earlier. You rock, thank you, it's been transferred. "

Several others with MotoMaker editions on Swappa have also reported that they successfully had the remaining warranty transferred to them. Apparently, Moto requires that you verify the original order info (name, address, email, order #, etc), then the new owner gives them their info.

As of now, they do appear to be transferring the warranty. This could change at any time, given moto's "official stance" on the warranty being non-transferrable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd July 2014, 11:15 PM   |  #9  
KJ's Avatar
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 3,714
 
8,913 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to insinuate that your info was incorrect. Yes, it does appear that Moto's "official stance" is that warranty is non-transferable, but they appear to be allowing it anyways.

The phone I sold was ordered from MotoMaker, and after the buyer requested the original sale info to transfer the warranty, it obviously worked because I received this reply:

"Thought I commented earlier. You rock, thank you, it's been transferred. "

Several others with MotoMaker editions on Swappa have also reported that they successfully had the remaining warranty transferred to them. Apparently, Moto requires that you verify the original order info (name, address, email, order #, etc), then the new owner gives them their info.

As of now, they do appear to be transferring the warranty. This could change at any time, given moto's "official stance" on the warranty being non-transferrable.

Its like rooting....warranty void. But many still pull it off. Lol

Official statement on warranty is one thing....actual results are another.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KJ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Top Threads in Moto X Q&A by ThreadRank