XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Having trouble with a Verizon Moto X on Tmobile

Tip us?

Mrcojocaru
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 84
Default Having trouble with a Verizon Moto X on Tmobile

Hey guys! After doing a little research, I bought Verizon Moto X to use because I read that it's unlocked. I got it new from craigslist for a decent deal. I'm coming from a nexus 5.. I liked it but the feel of the moto x is just amazing. Plus I was always jealous of the active display and always on features.

Anyway, here's the issue.. The phone works brilliantly until 4G comes on. When that happens, data works great, and is blazing fast as usual, but I cannot make calls or send texts. I can receive calls and texts just fine, just can't make them. On everything below 4G there are no issues.

Apparently, since 4.4, you can no longer make new APNs. You can try, but it won't actually save them. For now, I am using an app that accesses the hidden menu to limit the phone to HSPA.

Is there anything I can do or am I better off selling it? Verizon are such ****s.. I don't think I will ever again touch their devices or services again.

kolyan
Old
Thanks Meter 170
Why would u buy Verizon moto for T-Mobile?

T-Mobile moto is unlocked and it supports LTE

Mrcojocaru
Old
(Last edited by Mrcojocaru; 22nd December 2013 at 09:28 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 84
DP instead of edit

Mrcojocaru
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolyan View Post
Why would u buy Verizon moto for T-Mobile?

T-Mobile moto is unlocked and it supports LTE
It's supposed to be unlocked, it was in the colors that I wanted and it was a great deal. There were T-Mobile ones for sale, but quite a bit more expensive.

Bionic22
Old
Thanks Meter 24
I'm pretty sure there was a Verizon Unlocked Moto X and a general unlocked Moto X because Verizon uses different antennas then companies like T-Mobile. Therefore using an unlocked Verizon Moto X WON'T work on T-Mobile or other carriers like Sprint

Mrcojocaru
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic22 View Post
I'm pretty sure there was a Verizon Unlocked Moto X and a general unlocked Moto X because Verizon uses different antennas then companies like T-Mobile. Therefore using an unlocked Verizon Moto X WON'T work on T-Mobile or other carriers like Sprint
But it does work.. it just seems like it has problems changing networks when I call.. Like I said, when i disable LTE, everything works perfectly

creman
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcojocaru View Post
Hey guys! After doing a little research, I bought Verizon Moto X to use because I read that it's unlocked. I got it new from craigslist for a decent deal. I'm coming from a nexus 5.. I liked it but the feel of the moto x is just amazing. Plus I was always jealous of the active display and always on features.

Anyway, here's the issue.. The phone works brilliantly until 4G comes on. When that happens, data works great, and is blazing fast as usual, but I cannot make calls or send texts. I can receive calls and texts just fine, just can't make them. On everything below 4G there are no issues.

Apparently, since 4.4, you can no longer make new APNs. You can try, but it won't actually save them. For now, I am using an app that accesses the hidden menu to limit the phone to HSPA.

Is there anything I can do or am I better off selling it? Verizon are such ****s.. I don't think I will ever again touch their devices or services again.
When you say 4G do you mean LTE or HSPA+?. The Verizon model does not support T-Mobile LTE. HSPA+ should work

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 161
The Verizon model doesn't support UMTS/WCDMA on the main band Tmobile uses which is 1700 Mhz/AWS. So it is likely getting confused when trying to switch between bands to make calls.
At the end of the day it was the wrong phone to buy for your needs.

Mrcojocaru
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by creman View Post
When you say 4G do you mean LTE or HSPA+?. The Verizon model does not support T-Mobile LTE. HSPA+ should work
I'm getting LTE.. Hspa shows up separately.

http://imgur.com/CrqwNkf