5,594,877 Members 37,922 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] "Unfortunately, Dialer has stopped."

Tip us?

Srepoleved-Adx
Old
(Last edited by Srepoleved-Adx; 8th December 2013 at 05:10 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] "Unfortunately, Dialer has stopped."

This issue has been bugging me for quite some time now. I can't access the dialer at all. Clicking phone numbers through a text or a website results in the same message popping up and then closing. The 'Dialer' app will appear for a split second followed by the error. The only way I have been able to make calls is to save the number and calling them through 'Contacts' or the call button from Hangouts.

What is also weird is that from the lock screen I can access 'Emergency call' with no issues. Never had this issue prior to updating to 4.4 (Also, the caller ID feature isn't enabled or there for some reason..). Stock with unlocked bootloader, no root. Switching back to Dalvik from ART didn't resolve it either. However, I had the same issue with my GNex but I had that phone rooted with CM 10.2 Nightlies so I assumed the issue was with the roms.

Anyone have a fix for this issue (other than installing a 3rd party dialer app)?

ardoreal
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srepoleved-Adx View Post
This issue has been bugging me for quite some time now. I can't access the dialer at all. Clicking phone numbers through a text or a website results in the same message popping up and then closing. The 'Dialer' app will appear for a split second followed by the error. The only way I have been able to make calls is to save the number and calling them through 'Contacts' or the call button from Hangouts.

What is also weird is that from the lock screen I can access 'Emergency call' with no issues. Never had this issue prior to updating to 4.4 (Also, the caller ID feature isn't enabled or there for some reason..). Stock with unlocked bootloader, no root. Switching back to Dalvik from ART didn't resolve it either. However, I had the same issue with my GNex but I had that phone rooted with CM 10.2 Nightlies so I assumed the issue was with the roms.

Anyone have a fix for this issue (other than installing a 3rd party dialer app)?
Do you have Youmail installed by chance? Or any app that syncs to the dialer for contact info?

Srepoleved-Adx
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardoreal View Post
Do you have Youmail installed by chance? Or any app that syncs to the dialer for contact info?
Huh. As a matter of fact, I do. I was thinking that YouMail may have been causing some issues but I was unable to troubleshoot it so that I could get the dialer to work again. Suggestions?? Thanks for your help so far

ardoreal
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srepoleved-Adx View Post
Huh. As a matter of fact, I do. I was thinking that YouMail may have been causing some issues but I was unable to troubleshoot it so that I could get the dialer to work again. Suggestions?? Thanks for your help so far
Yeah I had the same problem. I ended up uninstalling youmail and I got in touch with them on their getsatisfaction.com forum. They pushed out an update, uninstalling and reinstalling with the new update fixed the problem for me.
Tags
app, dialer, stopped