Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,214 Members 42,090 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

State of the Union - Moto X?

Tip us?
 
vicegrips
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 35
Join Date: May 2013
Default State of the Union - Moto X?

I posted another thread on here earlier, but Samsung has driven me over the edge. Both my Note 3 and my wife's Note 3 have hardware problems requiring manufacturer replacement. Every Samsung product I buy (including non-mobile) just has problems - I have never had more problems with any other brand. Their support and service is terrible, and if it wasn't for T-Mobile I'd be looking at a 10 day warranty repair through Samsung. So bad quality and bad support just tell me "time to move on."

As mentioned I'm with T-Mobile and my house is in a valley so signal isn't great, but they are mailing me out the signal booster. Otherwise my signal is typically OK. I read up on the Moto X a lot awhile back during initial reviews, but haven't kept up because I went with the Note 3. Beyond obviously losing the stylus and larger screen, is this a fair assessment of what I'll be looking at with the Moto X?

1. No WiFi calling for T-Mobile, but also read a report where the Moto X maintains calls with 8-9db worse signal than other phones.
2. Camera isn't great, but it is much better than initial release.
3. Voice activation is also much more consistent than initial release.
4. Motorola, in warranty situations, mails out a replacement.
5. Great battery life - among the best
6. Less buggy experience as it is closer to stock Android
7. ~$300 in my pocket by the time I sell my replacement Note 3 and buy Moto X with the $70 sale

#6 is interesting to me because what bothers me since switching from Apple is overall quality. In one year with Android I have had hardware problems, endless software bugs, and while I still like Android more than iOS eliminating the headaches with bugs sure sounds appealing right now.
 
Solutions Etcetera
Old
#2  
Solutions Etcetera's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 155
Posts: 797
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sierra Nevada (west slope)
If you're comparing Android to iOS 5 or 6, Android still has more bugs. I have avoided iOS 7 thus far. I gave up on Sammy years ago due to reasons you have stated so can't speak for certain, but am willing to bet there are plenty of bugs in all of Samsung's cruft that won't be present on a Moto x.

Don't count on Motorola shipping you a replacement throughout the warranty period.

The radios in the Moto X are superior to the Nexus 4 and 5. I'm in the mountains and never had reliable service at home and around town with the Nexus phones. No problems with the Moto X; one of the best things about this phone! Another is the quality of the speaker (phone).
 
someguyatx
Old
#3  
someguyatx's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 347
Posts: 1,281
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
My X is on Verizon but yes the signal is excellent. The camera is fine but not as good as Note3. Voice controls work well. Not sure about warranty replacement, doubt it. Considering you are on TMO you can pop your Sim in anything and keep going. Battery life is very good 18+ hours runtime with 3-4 hours of screentime stock unrooted. Nearly stock Android is nice, first android device I have not needed to root and run custom rom (posting this from my rooted hisense sero7 pro tablet). Take the money and run while the Note3 still holds value. MotoX should be worth $150 later this year when you get bored with it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
bleach168
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 33
Posts: 215
Join Date: Apr 2010
Side by side, my Moto X was 4-5 db lower than my friend's HTC One. Both phones were on T-Mobile.

Don't worry about the warranty. Except for the occasional app crash, my phone runs flawlessly. Though I haven't had an app crash since 4.4.2, so maybe that's fixed now too.
 
vicegrips
Old
#5  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 35
Join Date: May 2013
Cool thanks everyone. I'll go with the Moto X. It sounds like it is the perfect answer to what I need right now.
 
hovax615@hotmail.com
Old
(Last edited by hovax615@hotmail.com; 14th February 2014 at 07:05 AM.)
#6  
hovax615@hotmail.com's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 309
Posts: 1,480
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Corona, CA - Murfreesboro, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicegrips View Post
Cool thanks everyone. I'll go with the Moto X. It sounds like it is the perfect answer to what I need right now.
Never mind...

MOTO X Slapped
 
alpha-niner64
Old
(Last edited by alpha-niner64; 14th February 2014 at 07:05 AM.)
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 73
Posts: 404
Join Date: Mar 2011
Another owner chiming in here. Been through each company (except Sony cause I'm on TMO). Motorola phones (even the Moto X) have always had the best signal in my area. Where other phones would get -100dB and drop me off HSPA, I can get around -90 below otherwise and maintain a steady connection.
 
rupterr
Old
(Last edited by rupterr; 14th February 2014 at 02:57 PM.)
#8  
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 67
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicegrips View Post
As mentioned I'm with T-Mobile and my house is in a valley so signal isn't great, but they are mailing me out the signal booster.
I'm with t-mobile and am in the same signal situation as you. My Moto X signal reception is slightly worse than my Sony Advance, and sometimes I am unable to make a call with the Moto X where I was able to with the Sony.

You and I are in a valley. No carrier can reliably supply a consistent signal in my location and it doesn't matter what brand phone I have. I'm curious that when you get the signal booster if you could report your findings with it here on it's performance.

Since the Moto x does not have wi-fi calling I use the "Xfinity Connect App" to make wi-fi calls if I can't make one regularly, which is rare since I can usually find a signal somewhere in my house, but sometimes I can't. You can make and receive calls from your home phone # from any location where you can get a wi-fi connection. For instance, I can make and receive home phone calls at my workplace thru "Connect App". Obviously, you must be a Comcast subscriber to use it.
 
vicegrips
Old
#9  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 35
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupterr View Post
I'm with t-mobile and am in the same signal situation as you. My Moto X signal reception is slightly worse than my Sony Advance, and sometimes I am unable to make a call with the Moto X where I was able to with the Sony.

You and I are in a valley. No carrier can reliably supply a consistent signal in my location and it doesn't matter what brand phone I have. I'm curious that when you get the signal booster if you could report your findings with it here on it's performance.

Since the Moto x does not have wi-fi calling I use the "Xfinity Connect App" to make wi-fi calls if I can't make one regularly, which is rare since I can usually find a signal somewhere in my house, but sometimes I can't. You can make and receive calls from your home phone # from any location where you can get a wi-fi connection. For instance, I can make and receive home phone calls at my workplace thru "Connect App". Obviously, you must be a Comcast subscriber to use it.
You know I can't give T-Mobile a total pass here because I had AT&T for nearly 14 months in this same house and never had problems. A friend stayed with us for 3 months when they moved out here with Verizon and they also didn't have a problem. As far as I can tell it is because of the placement of T-Mobile's 1 tower, where if I'm not mistaken AT&T has 2 and Verizon maybe 3? I still like TMobile better. They are cheaper and their customer service reps have been great to work with.

Regardless, I do seem to consistently get 1 bar of 4G upstairs so I think the signal booster should work at home. If you are in the same spot you might want to call T-Mobile because they have started sending signal boosters out for free again. They just run a quick study on your area to see if you qualify, the equipment is sent, but you do have to return it if you ever leave.
The Following User Says Thank You to vicegrips For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
rupterr
Old
#10  
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 67
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicegrips View Post
You know I can't give T-Mobile a total pass here because I had AT&T for nearly 14 months in this same house and never had problems.
I understand. In my case no provider can supply a consistent signal where I live. It's all about the towers, and nobody wants towers in there backyard. My local government won't allow them in the area where I live, so I'm stuck. Thanks for the info, i'll check out the tmobile signal booster as I'm sure I will qualify.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes