Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,893 Members 42,563 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ART on Moto X

Tip us?

CMNDR
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default ART on Moto X

Anyone have any experience with this? Was thinking of switching to it, because it sounds like it could give a major performance boost to the phone, but am unsure because it is so new.

Anyone with major bugs because of switching to ART? Is it possible to revert back to dalvik once you switch to ART or are you locked in?

dicarli
Old
Thanks Meter 13
I experienced a visually slight performance boost.

WhatsApp won't work. Had a pain to get it working again after going back to Dalvik. Had to revert to 4.2.2, root, then update to 4.4 again. For that matter I'm not using it again until we get 4.4.2 which fix these issues.

mauri6870
Old
Thanks Meter 1
If you ever switch to ART, you wont be able to use whatsapp even if you switch back to dalvik. You'll have to flash back to 4.2.2 and take the 4.4 OTA to get whatsapp to work again

1ManWolfePack
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1762
I couldn't upload photos to FB every other version when ART was enabled. You can switch back and forth as often as you'd like, just prepare for a lengthy boot when switching to ART.

Waiting for 4.4.2 as other poster said. Currently running dalvik. I do think it runs better with ART. Snappier.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

acruxksa
Old
Thanks Meter 63
I don't think I'd use ART on the Moto X quite yet. Moto has apparently optimized the qualcomm dalvik libs quite a bit to give the moto x a smooth fluid UI. ART will probably be better for the moto x eventually but I'm guessing it's not optimized for a specific phone at the moment.
Current Phones:
32GB Woven Black, Black, Metallic Blue, GSM Unlocked Moto-X - Primary Phone
Samsung Galaxy S4 i337 KangaKat Secondary Phone | Google Nexus 4 (backup phone) KitKat

piskr
Old
Thanks Meter 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by acruxksa View Post
I don't think I'd use ART on the Moto X quite yet. Moto has apparently optimized the qualcomm dalvik libs quite a bit to give the moto x a smooth fluid UI. ART will probably be better for the moto x eventually but I'm guessing it's not optimized for a specific phone at the moment.
It's fast. I used to use dalvik for about a week than switched to art. I've used art for more than a month now. I have a lot of third party's apps installed, even nonmarket ones. My Moto x is on 4.4 and rooted. I've never experienced any issue since I'm on art. Don't use Whatsapp or games though.

acruxksa
Old
(Last edited by acruxksa; 11th January 2014 at 10:04 AM.)
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by piskr View Post
It's fast. I used to use dalvik for about a week than switched to art. I've used art for more than a month now. I have a lot of third party's apps installed, even nonmarket ones. My Moto x is on 4.4 and rooted. I've never experienced any issue since I'm on art. Don't use Whatsapp or games though.

I'm not saying it won't work, used ART on my N4 and S4 but I'm skeptical you are going to see better performance with ART vs. the highly optimized dalvik libs used by motorola for the moto x. Especially since it's unlikely google has optimized ART for specific hardware at this point.

In my experience with ART on the N4 and S4, some tasks seemed quicker, some seemed the same and some felt slower but I definitely took a hit in battery life. I'm guessing ART on the Moto X would have a similar reaction, some tasks might seem a little quicker but I'm betting battery life is going to take a hit as well as other tasks that rely on moto x specific hardware.

I could be wrong though since I've never used a moto x (just ordered mine about 12hrs ago so I'm waiting impatiently)
Current Phones:
32GB Woven Black, Black, Metallic Blue, GSM Unlocked Moto-X - Primary Phone
Samsung Galaxy S4 i337 KangaKat Secondary Phone | Google Nexus 4 (backup phone) KitKat

piskr
Old
Thanks Meter 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by acruxksa View Post
I'm not saying it won't work, used ART on my N4 and S4 but I'm skeptical you are going to see better performance with ART vs. the highly optimized dalvik libs used by motorola for the moto x. Especially since it's unlikely google has optimized ART for specific hardware at this point.

In my experience with ART on the N4 and S4, some tasks seemed quicker, some seemed the same and some felt slower but I definitely took a hit in battery life. I'm guessing ART on the Moto X would have a similar reaction, some tasks might seem a little quicker but I'm betting battery life is going to take a hit as well as other tasks that rely on moto x specific hardware.

I could be wrong though since I've never used a moto x (just ordered mine about 12hrs ago so I'm waiting impatiently)
It's really hard to compare speed and other behavior between two runtimes if you don't have two equal phones and run both systems simultaneously. I never complained that Moto x wasn't fast when I used dalvik. It seems even more responsive now under art but it might be a subjective performance evaluation, you never know if you don't have comparable reference. Anyway I think that dalvik on android is more past than future and if you don't have a specific reason to use dalvik you should give art a shot.

Good like with your new Moto x. I believe you'll like it.

Jemmy Ducks
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I switched to ART a few weeks back, and at that time thought I noticed a slight improvement in overall performance. I was pleased. After about a week, I installed Xposed. Unbeknownst to me, Xposed automatically reset the phone to dalvik (xposed is not ART compatible). I did not notice the change for several days, until I happened to see the runtime setting on the developer options screen. To me, this is good evidence for a placebo effect.

But try it yourself. You can always go back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jemmy Ducks For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MaKTaiL
Old
Thanks Meter 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemmy Ducks View Post
I switched to ART a few weeks back, and at that time thought I noticed a slight improvement in overall performance. I was pleased. After about a week, I installed Xposed. Unbeknownst to me, Xposed automatically reset the phone to dalvik (xposed is not ART compatible). I did not notice the change for several days, until I happened to see the runtime setting on the developer options screen. To me, this is good evidence for a placebo effect.

But try it yourself. You can always go back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Exactly! Optimized Dalvik on Moto X is as good as ART if not better.

Enviado de meu XT1058 usando Tapatalk