Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,159 Members 46,083 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Root the Developer Edition Moto X

Tip us?

x0054
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Root the Developer Edition Moto X

Hi guys,

I recently purchased the Developer Edition of Moto X. To be honest, I am not a developer for Android, and I am very new all together to Android, coming from iOS. All of my iPhones have always been jailbroken, and I would like to root my new Android as well. My Moto X has an unlocked boot loader. If I understand it correctly, this should allow me to root the phone in a permanent way. I would like to stick with the stock Moto X room, but I want to have root for some of the apps that need it.

I have googled it and found a bunch of different guides on how to do this, but is there a better way to do it on a device with an unlocked boot loader? Something what works with 4.4.2. If you point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

- Bogdan

aviwdoowks
Old
Thanks Meter 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by x0054 View Post
Hi guys,

I recently purchased the Developer Edition of Moto X. To be honest, I am not a developer for Android, and I am very new all together to Android, coming from iOS. All of my iPhones have always been jailbroken, and I would like to root my new Android as well. My Moto X has an unlocked boot loader. If I understand it correctly, this should allow me to root the phone in a permanent way. I would like to stick with the stock Moto X room, but I want to have root for some of the apps that need it.

I have googled it and found a bunch of different guides on how to do this, but is there a better way to do it on a device with an unlocked boot loader? Something what works with 4.4.2. If you point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

- Bogdan
This Guy has all these kind of tips
http://mark.cdmaforums.com/MotoX.htm
I am Maxx'ed, X + 1/2
Moto X, Ultra, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF

-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7.

imnuts
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2974

DONATE TO ME
My opinion, if you can't figure out how to root a device with an unlocked bootloader when non-stock recovery is available, you should just leave your phone stock. It doesn't get any easier unless it would come pre-rooted.

Sent from my Moto X
Setup a Development Environment
Setup and Use the Android SDK
Stock Odin Restore files

You can find the answer to all of your questions right here. If that doesn't work, then try this or this

x0054
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for the tip. The procedure looks relatively simple. Is the mfastboot the utility that Motorola includes with their SDK, or is it a 3rd party utility? I have a mac, and I would like to do all of this without having to boot into Windows.

Thanks!

aviwdoowks
Old
Thanks Meter 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by x0054 View Post
Thanks for the tip. The procedure looks relatively simple. Is the mfastboot the utility that Motorola includes with their SDK, or is it a 3rd party utility? I have a mac, and I would like to do all of this without having to boot into Windows.

Thanks!
There is a Mac toolkit in our dev section. I think all you need is fastboot not m....
I am Maxx'ed, X + 1/2
Moto X, Ultra, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF

-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7.

The Tallest
Old
Thanks Meter 20
I don't understand why you need to over complicate unlocking and rooting a Developer Edition. Just go here: https://motorola-global-portal.custh...-your-device-a

Request the unlock code. Follow the instructions to unlock it. You can then install TWRP and root it.

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3245
Here's a complete guide here on XDA. Tho, with Mac, you may need that toolkit.

Personally, if you can use windows, I'd use it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2603358
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

x0054
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for all the links, I think I figured it out. The mfastboot should come with the Motorola Development bundle, and the rest I have ready. Looks like the process is pretty straight foreword. I'll post a little writeup for doing this on Mac if I am successful.

- Bogdan
The Following User Says Thank You to x0054 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

krsmit0
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post
Here's a complete guide here on XDA. Tho, with Mac, you may need that toolkit.

Personally, if you can use windows, I'd use it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2603358
I used a mac without any issues. Uses fastboot instead of mfastboot. And I think I used the SDK. Don't remember now.

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3245
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsmit0 View Post
I used a mac without any issues. Uses fastboot instead of mfastboot. And I think I used the SDK. Don't remember now.
I'm sure Mac is fine. Just if there's any problems, it'll be harder to find help here with Mac stuff.
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips