Post Reply

[Q] Root the Developer Edition Moto X

OP x0054

18th May 2014, 08:29 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Hi guys,

I recently purchased the Developer Edition of Moto X. To be honest, I am not a developer for Android, and I am very new all together to Android, coming from iOS. All of my iPhones have always been jailbroken, and I would like to root my new Android as well. My Moto X has an unlocked boot loader. If I understand it correctly, this should allow me to root the phone in a permanent way. I would like to stick with the stock Moto X room, but I want to have root for some of the apps that need it.

I have googled it and found a bunch of different guides on how to do this, but is there a better way to do it on a device with an unlocked boot loader? Something what works with 4.4.2. If you point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

- Bogdan
18th May 2014, 08:45 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 519
 
2,551 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by x0054

Hi guys,

I recently purchased the Developer Edition of Moto X. To be honest, I am not a developer for Android, and I am very new all together to Android, coming from iOS. All of my iPhones have always been jailbroken, and I would like to root my new Android as well. My Moto X has an unlocked boot loader. If I understand it correctly, this should allow me to root the phone in a permanent way. I would like to stick with the stock Moto X room, but I want to have root for some of the apps that need it.

I have googled it and found a bunch of different guides on how to do this, but is there a better way to do it on a device with an unlocked boot loader? Something what works with 4.4.2. If you point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

- Bogdan

This Guy has all these kind of tips
http://mark.cdmaforums.com/MotoX.htm
18th May 2014, 08:52 PM   |  #3  
imnuts's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag West Chester
Thanks Meter: 2,985
 
3,433 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2007
Donate to Me
More
My opinion, if you can't figure out how to root a device with an unlocked bootloader when non-stock recovery is available, you should just leave your phone stock. It doesn't get any easier unless it would come pre-rooted.

Sent from my Moto X
18th May 2014, 09:16 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Thanks for the tip. The procedure looks relatively simple. Is the mfastboot the utility that Motorola includes with their SDK, or is it a 3rd party utility? I have a mac, and I would like to do all of this without having to boot into Windows.

Thanks!
18th May 2014, 11:15 PM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 519
 
2,551 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by x0054

Thanks for the tip. The procedure looks relatively simple. Is the mfastboot the utility that Motorola includes with their SDK, or is it a 3rd party utility? I have a mac, and I would like to do all of this without having to boot into Windows.

Thanks!

There is a Mac toolkit in our dev section. I think all you need is fastboot not m....
19th May 2014, 12:12 AM   |  #6  
The Tallest's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
155 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
More
I don't understand why you need to over complicate unlocking and rooting a Developer Edition. Just go here: https://motorola-global-portal.custh...-your-device-a

Request the unlock code. Follow the instructions to unlock it. You can then install TWRP and root it.
19th May 2014, 02:55 AM   |  #7  
KJ's Avatar
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,064
 
10,087 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
More
Here's a complete guide here on XDA. Tho, with Mac, you may need that toolkit.

Personally, if you can use windows, I'd use it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2603358
19th May 2014, 05:20 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Thanks for all the links, I think I figured it out. The mfastboot should come with the Motorola Development bundle, and the rest I have ready. Looks like the process is pretty straight foreword. I'll post a little writeup for doing this on Mac if I am successful.

- Bogdan
The Following User Says Thank You to x0054 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th May 2014, 06:19 AM   |  #9  
Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
71 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112

Here's a complete guide here on XDA. Tho, with Mac, you may need that toolkit.

Personally, if you can use windows, I'd use it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2603358

I used a mac without any issues. Uses fastboot instead of mfastboot. And I think I used the SDK. Don't remember now.
19th May 2014, 06:23 AM   |  #10  
KJ's Avatar
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,064
 
10,087 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsmit0

I used a mac without any issues. Uses fastboot instead of mfastboot. And I think I used the SDK. Don't remember now.

I'm sure Mac is fine. Just if there's any problems, it'll be harder to find help here with Mac stuff.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Moto X Q&A by ThreadRank