Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,728 Members 44,377 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Why unlock bootloader on non DE when we have safestrap?

Tip us?

frenchie007
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Default [Q] Why unlock bootloader on non DE when we have safestrap?

I've safestrapped a rooted 4.4.2 rom on my AT&T locked moto x for quite some time and I can't see any real downsides.
I even had a look to see if it's possible to flash non-stock roms with it and from what I understand it's totally possible.

So my question is: What's the point of unlocking the bootloader on non-DE devices (with, say, the chinese middleman method, which costs about 40-50$), when you can simply bypass the protected /system directory by using safestrap?

If I understand though, the only real limitation is that we have to wait for the sbf of the newer versions of android to be released for our specific device, in order to flash the correct kernels and all. I think.

Please correct my statements as they may be wrong, and thanks for your replies!
Moto X - Stock and Slapped!
Galaxy Note 10.1 - rom : Android Revolution HD

Nexus S - DEAD
HTC Aria - DEAD

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 1,355

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie007 View Post
I've safestrapped a rooted 4.4.2 rom on my AT&T locked moto x for quite some time and I can't see any real downsides.
I even had a look to see if it's possible to flash non-stock roms with it and from what I understand it's totally possible.

So my question is: What's the point of unlocking the bootloader on non-DE devices (with, say, the chinese middleman method, which costs about 40-50$), when you can simply bypass the protected /system directory by using safestrap?

If I understand though, the only real limitation is that we have to wait for the sbf of the newer versions of android to be released for our specific device, in order to flash the correct kernels and all. I think.

Once you have updated your CORE SOFTWARE (and bootloader) to 4.4.2, safestrap is useless. The 4.4.2 bootloader is impervious to known write-protect-disable exploits.

Many people updated to 4.4.2 without reading the consequences and now BL unlock is the ONLY method to achieve Root AND Write-protect-disable.

Additionally, the process is much more streamlined and far less complicated than installing and configuring safestrap. Simply unlock, and flash TWRP. Done.

Also, non-stock-based ROMS (AFAIK) cannot be used with safestrap because as I understand, it uses an "overlay" technique which would not work on a non-stock-based ROM.

Good Luck
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Donate to me via BitCoin - 1samwaLJ7EdQFGME1dkUGPFZywUEKnXcT
The Following User Says Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HeroOfTime
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie007 View Post

Also, using safestrap takes up more space on your device, since you have an underlying core OS (as samwathegreat puts it), essentially meaning that you have two full ROMs on your phone. If you have the 16gb Moto X, that will suck up a good chunk of space (though that's not the end of the world). If you have the 32gb version, you are probably ok. I agree with everything else samwathegreat says though.
--This message will self destruct if not properly stored.

Moto X - Navy Blue with Silver Accents, Bootloader Unlocked, Rooted, Xposed (How do you like them apples, VZW?)
The Following User Says Thank You to HeroOfTime For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kwyrt
Old
Thanks Meter 205
Thought I would add my two cents in here as someone who ran safestrap for a while before getting my bootloader unlocked through the guy in China. First, a small correction, running safestrap doesn’t have to take up much/any more memory as you can flash the ROM to your “stock” slot. As of right now I believe the other slots are not even working. Now, as for why unlock your bootloader, I think there are a number of reasons. Yes, you have an up-to-date ROM on your phone currently, but you are going to be dependent on a dev making a safestrap compatible ROM for any new software releases. This may or may not happen. You are at the mercy of the few devs who are currently doing this. That is probably the biggest reason for me deciding to unlock. Another reason, as samwathegreat stated, is I do not believe you can run AOSP ROMs currently on safestrap. If it works like it did on my old Droid 4, you would need to use something like the kexec exploit to in order to flash custom kernels in order to run an AOSP based ROM. I haven’t seen anyone working on anything like that. The last big reason I can see is safestrap does not seem to be in active development on the Moto X anymore. Numerous other devices have seen safestrap updates recently (including the Droid 4) but not so the Moto X version. I would definitely recommend unlocking. I know I’m glad I did.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwyrt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HeroOfTime
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyrt View Post
First, a small correction, running safestrap doesn’t have to take up much/any more memory as you can flash the ROM to your “stock” slot.
Thanks for clarifying that. I stand corrected.
--This message will self destruct if not properly stored.

Moto X - Navy Blue with Silver Accents, Bootloader Unlocked, Rooted, Xposed (How do you like them apples, VZW?)

frenchie007
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyrt View Post
Thought I would add my two cents in here as someone who ran safestrap for a while before getting my bootloader unlocked through the guy in China. First, a small correction, running safestrap doesn’t have to take up much/any more memory as you can flash the ROM to your “stock” slot. As of right now I believe the other slots are not even working. Now, as for why unlock your bootloader, I think there are a number of reasons. Yes, you have an up-to-date ROM on your phone currently, but you are going to be dependent on a dev making a safestrap compatible ROM for any new software releases. This may or may not happen. You are at the mercy of the few devs who are currently doing this. That is probably the biggest reason for me deciding to unlock. Another reason, as samwathegreat stated, is I do not believe you can run AOSP ROMs currently on safestrap. If it works like it did on my old Droid 4, you would need to use something like the kexec exploit to in order to flash custom kernels in order to run an AOSP based ROM. I haven’t seen anyone working on anything like that. The last big reason I can see is safestrap does not seem to be in active development on the Moto X anymore. Numerous other devices have seen safestrap updates recently (including the Droid 4) but not so the Moto X version. I would definitely recommend unlocking. I know I’m glad I did.
thanks for making things clearer for me, and everyone for taking the time to answer my question.
as i've got a 2013 model I guess I'll just have to hope that safestrap supported roms will keep being released for the moto x for future updates!

Nexus S - DEAD
HTC Aria - DEAD

Old
Thanks Meter 114
OP - long story short:

locked bootloader = some dev/hobbyist, etc finding a security flaw in the system that exploits the ability to obtain root (and hopefully system r/w).
  • Requires an adoption rate from other users.
  • Is only as "reliable" as the device is relevant.
  • Exploits have the potential to insert malicious code.

unlocked bootloader/dev edition = "free range" to do whatever you want, regardless of security flaws.
  • Potential to extend the longevity of your device.
  • Rooting methods are common among most devices with DEV Edition/unlocked bootloader option.
  • Permanent.
The Following User Says Thank You to 640k For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

frenchie007
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640k View Post
OP - long story short:

locked bootloader = some dev/hobbyist, etc finding a security flaw in the system that exploits the ability to obtain root (and hopefully system r/w).
  • Requires an adoption rate from other users.
  • Is only as "reliable" as the device is relevant.
  • Exploits have the potential to insert malicious code.

unlocked bootloader/dev edition = "free range" to do whatever you want, regardless of security flaws.
  • Potential to extend the longevity of your device.
  • Rooting methods are common among most devices with DEV Edition/unlocked bootloader option.
  • Permanent.
I am quite aware of the difference between locked and unlocked boot loaders. My question was really regarding if safe strapping offered as much as a regular recovery. But thanks for clearing that up as well!

Nexus S - DEAD
HTC Aria - DEAD