Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,562 Members 37,649 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] unlockable bootloader..can i upgrade 4.4.2 safe?

Tip us?

Musa95
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default [Q] unlockable bootloader..can i upgrade 4.4.2 safe?

hey guys..i have a question..i have an unlockable moto x .. the 58 variant..and i wanted to know if i can upgrade to 4.4.2 an then unlock my bootloader..because the phone is really new and i dont want to lose my garanty yet..but i want to upgrade to 4.4.2..it is possible to upgrade to 4.4.2 and then unlock the bootloader and root? thanks in advance

aviwdoowks
Old
Thanks Meter 433
You mean to eventually pay for the unauthorized unlock & in the mean time be on 442. No problem but one, the Guy who has the codes may not last as long as your warranty!
I am Maxx'ed, X + 1/2
Moto X, Ultra, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF

-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7.

Musa95
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Nono.. My device is unlockable via motorola site.. I checked that.. But didnt unlock yet

Enviado desde mi XT1058 mediante Tapatalk

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3206
Yes, you can update to 4.4.2... and unlock anytime you wish.
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

Musa95
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post
Yes, you can update to 4.4.2... and unlock anytime you wish.
Thanks for the answer!

ryanzurlo88
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musa95 View Post
hey guys..i have a question..i have an unlockable moto x .. the 58 variant..and i wanted to know if i can upgrade to 4.4.2 an then unlock my bootloader..because the phone is really new and i dont want to lose my garanty yet..but i want to upgrade to 4.4.2..it is possible to upgrade to 4.4.2 and then unlock the bootloader and root? thanks in advance
yes. you can do it. just follow the guide in this video. this is what i used. itworks 1000000000000000000000000000% lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MzKvXkq44o

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 740
Quote:
Quote:
Nono.. My device is unlockable via motorola site.. I checked that.. But didnt unlock yet

As long as you are sure you can get the unlock code from Moto directly, you can unlock the bootloader when you are ready. Once you do unlock, you can root any version rom that is on your phone.

Just keep in mind, if you want to root & disable write protection BEFORE you are ready to unlock the bootloader, the only options are SlapMyMoto/MotoWpNoMo which do NOT work with Android 4.4.2. (i.e. if you want root without unlocking bootloader, do not upgrade to 4.4.2).
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

The Following User Says Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]